CSA media guide 2008

loyola

thanks for pointing that out Loyola

How in heck are Stillo and Hoillet not in the U20 pool...that's nuts.

I spoke to Robert's dad the other night and he tells me that Genoa have big plans for him. They believe he is a very gifted GK and want to nurture him carefully. All he needs now is a regular, high level game action.

So, a Serie A team has big plans for a Canadian (its conceivable he could be the first ever Canadian in Serie A within a few years) yet the national team program don't bother to drop him a line and let him know that they've got their eye on him (and believe me, from what I was told, this young man would LOVE to represent his country). Genoa will be sending the CSA all the info they need in order to request Robert's release for international duty, if and when they want him.

With qualifying only 6-7 months away, when are they going to have a camp?

Not only Hoilett and Stillo, but Fabian Troche and Marcel DeBellis are not on the list either. Add in Michael Abusabal and Nico Aravana, it's like they're too far away to bother including them/calling them up.

Looking at the U17's they're missing Abde Sylla and Kyle Silva, probably the 2 best players out of that group. What are these people thinking?

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

thanks for pointing that out Loyola

How in heck are Stillo and Hoillet not in the U20 pool...that's nuts.

I spoke to Robert's dad the other night and he tells me that Genoa have big plans for him. They believe he is a very gifted GK and want to nurture him carefully. All he needs now is a regular, high level game action.

So, a Serie A team has big plans for a Canadian (its conceivable he could be the first ever Canadian in Serie A within a few years) yet the national team program don't bother to drop him a line and let him know that they've got their eye on him (and believe me, from what I was told, this young man would LOVE to represent his country). Genoa will be sending the CSA all the info they need in order to request Robert's release for international duty, if and when they want him.

With qualifying only 6-7 months away, when are they going to have a camp?

While I find the CSA coaches attitude quite questionnable on the issueof Stillo, let's not get carried away here.

We've seen plenty of young canadians with big clubs youth programs in the past years and not a lot are still playing at a high level today. Lombardo, Uccello were with Serie A youth teams a few years ago, Giacomi was training with Rangers and those didn't turned out to that good. While it's fantastic to see that he's getting some nice training let's not forget what history has thought us int he past.

That said, he clearly deserves attention from our U-20 program, that I agree 100%.

As for Hoillet, it seems something's wrong here and it might be on David side. What are his others options?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

That said, he clearly deserves attention from our U-20 program, that I agree 100%.

that's all I'm saying....give the kid a look or at the very least, give him a call to say eventually he will get a look.

If you have a moderately talented kid with the right passport, you have a few contacts and you're willing to cover the costs, any number of European clubs will be willing to let him into their youth program for a while so they can take a look but the liability is all yours.

The U20 tournament isn't rated in England or Germany, so he doesn't have a lot of professional inspiration to join the squad. He's really fighting to establish himself as a pro, so I can understand why he might not be dying to play in the tourney. I've never heard of him being eligible for anyone else. Mitchell should call him for qualifying. Not to start him, but just to have another striker around. He's a big, strong kid and we might need to play 4-4-2 on occasion. We'll need more than Friend and Gerba to do that.

Archived