TORONTO LADY LYNX GAME REPORT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PRESENTED BY CAW - THE CANADIAN AUTO WORKERS UNION

Lady Lynx Win Shootout in Bolton

Edge Western Mass 4-3

Date: July 12, 2008

Venue: Edelweiss Park, Bolton, ON

Kick Off Time: 1:00 PM EDT

Final Score: Toronto 4 (3) Western Mass 3 (1)

Match Summary:

The Toronto Lady Lynx moved ever closer to clinching their fourth consecutive W-League playoff bid this afternoon with a thrilling 4-3 victory over the visiting Western Mass Lady Pioneers at Edelweiss Park in Bolton. The win raises Toronto’s record to 10-1-1 (31 points) on the season, one win short of the team-record of 11 wins recorded back in 2005, and raises their division lead to four points over the Ottawa Fury. The Lady Lynx can clinch a playoff berth this evening with a Rochester loss or tie in Ottawa. Western Mass falls to 1-8-1 on the year, second from the basement in the division.

Toronto opened the game on the attack and scored almost immediately. Forward Alicia Donaldson found a loose ball in the 6-yard box in the 3rd minute, and pounded it into the net for her sixth goal on the season, giving the Lady Lynx a quick 1-0 lead.

Western Mass recovered from the early goal, and were able equalize seven minutes later. Brie Gray went in alone on keeper Elise Kuhar-Pitters, who made the initial save on the forward’s shot but the rebound spun awkwardly and bounced over Kuhar-Pitters and into the goal to make the game 1-all.

Toronto maintained their composure following the goal, and re-established control of the game in the ensuing moments. Brittany Bisnott’s ninth of the year in the 38th minute gave the Lynx back the lead, and Stefania Morra scored her eighth of the year as the half ended to extend the advantage to 3-1 going into the break.

Western Mass came back following the intermission recharged and determined to fight back into the game. The visitors were rewarded when Gray notched her second of the game in the 58th minute, closing the gap to one goal. Toronto quickly regained the 2-goal advantage, however, when seven minutes later Bisnott was brought down from behind in the Western Mass box for a penalty strike. Stefania Morra converted the kick low and left to make the score 4-2.

The Lady Pioneers were able to claw back to within one three minutes later when substitute Therese Smith was the fortuitous recipient of a lucky goal. Kuhar-Pitters misjudged the flight of a Western Mass corner kick, and it struck Smith in the head and rebounded into the Lady Lynx net, making the score 4-3 in the Lady Lynx’ favour. Toronto’s defense closed down following the goal, and did not allow Western Mass another chance to level the score in the remainder of the game. The Lady Lynx had a number of chances to score in the waning moments, but could not finish and the game finished at 4-3 in their favour.

The Lady Lynx close out their home schedule next Saturday, July 19 as they host their Golden Horseshoe rivals the Hamilton Lady Avalanche at 4:00 PM at Varsity Centre. Tickets can be purchased by calling the Lynx ticket hotline at 416-251-4625 x 31, or at the Varsity Centre box office one hour prior to kick-off.

Final Score: Toronto 4 (3) Western Mass 3 (1)

Lineups:

Toronto: Kuhar-Pitters, Beckles, Landry, Chapman, Dimitrakopoulos (Baggs 51), Bazi, Lagonia, Donaldson (Carreiro, 63), Bernard (Markowitz, 61 (Pantin, 90)), Bisnott (Shimoda, 63), Morra

Western Mass: Herd, Wilkinson, Bromley, Johns (Francisco, 79), Markham, Masser (Smith, 51), Richards, Ray, Busque, Gray (Ashwell, 59), Canaan

Officials:

Referee: Richard Oliveira

Referee’s Assistants: Peter Pendli, Joe Piacente

4th Official: Sonya Bukovscak

Cautions:

Toronto: 0

Western Mass: 1 (Bromsley, 62’)

Ejections:

Toronto: 0

Western Mass: 0

Shots: Toronto 16 Western Mass 9

Saves: Toronto 1 Western Mass 1

Fouls: Toronto 5 Western Mass 7

Offsides: Toronto 1 Western Mass 4

Corners: Toronto 7 Western Mass 2

Scorers:

Toronto:

3’ Donaldson

38’ Bisnott

45’ Morra (Lagonia)

63’ Morra (PK)

Western Mass:

10’ Gray

58’ Gray

66’ Smith (Ray)

The Lady Lynx’ next game is home to Hamilton on Saturday July 19 at 4:00 PM at Varsity Centre

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

ROB IRWIN, MEDIA RELATIONS

416-251-4625 ext. 23

Result of the Saturday July 12th, 2008 W-League game between Toronto Lady Lynx and Western Mass Pioneers played at Edelweiss Park in Bolton at 1:00pm.

3 min…Lady Lynx Alicia Donaldson GOAL…Donaldson gets ball on left wing, rounds defender Amanda Markham and shoots 8 yarder from left between left post and goalie Erin Herd.

9 min…Pioneers Brie Gray GOAL…Gray shot from left 12 yards into center of net. Gray gets to ball after defender had blocked shot and ball was passed over to her. The ball had spun off the goalie’s save.

39 min…Lady Lynx Brittany Bisnott GOAL…Bisnott rolled ball on rush up middle and her low 15 yard shot is into the left side of net.

45 min...Lady Lynx Stefania Morra GOAL…LL Alyssa Lagonia rush on left rolls pass ahead to Morra who rounds defender and gets 10 yard shot over goalie.

58 min…Pioneers Brie Gray GOAL…Gray charges up right wing and chips over sprawling goalie Elise Kuhar-Pitters and into middle of net from 15 yards.

65 min…Pioneers Hannah Bromley earns Yellow card for tripping LL Brittany Bisnott on breakaway. Referee Richard Oliviera awards a Penalty kick.

66 min…Lady Lynx Stefania Morra GOAL…Morra blasts penalty kick into right side of net with goalie frozen.

68 min…Pioneers Terese Smith GOAL…Pioneers Karen Ray cornerkick from left has Smith head ball in from 5 yards.

Final Score:……Toronto Lady Lynx….4………Western Mass Pioneers……….3………

Attendance was not announced but was 937 in ticket sales. Today was part of the Bolton Soccerfest and I’d say about 300 people were watching this game. The weather was hot and hazy and the threat of rain was realized almost as soon as the game ended with a downpour that drove the crowd to shelter. The field was natural grass and not closely cut so the ball looked like it was rolling out of bounds but would stop and stay in play. The field the Lynx used was surrounded by hills on three sides and swamp on two and forest on the other with one side leading to the other fields and exits. I was surprised that balls weren’t lost but the ball retrievers could find them right away. I could imagine the bug problem in the evenings with mosquitoes but I didn’t come across any but I did get a bee sting on the arm while watching the game.

I expected the Lady Lynx would run away with this game especially scoring so early on a rather soft goal. Before the game the Pioneers record was 1 win, 7 losses, and 1 tie while the Lady Lynx record was 9 wins, 1 loss, and 1 tie. Instead the visitors would keep coming back and closing to within a goal. The Lady Lynx limited them to no chances after their last goal.

Lady Lynx forward Brittany Bisnott sang the American and Canadian (half English and half French) national anthems before the start of the game and then scored to keep pace with Stefania Morra. Both players scored a hat trick against Rochester, a goal each against Laval last game and then a goal apiece today.

With today’s win the Lady Lynx should clinch a playoff berth if Rochester loses to second place Ottawa Fury in Ottawa tonight. Two more regular season games to finish their regular season await. Next Saturday a 4:00pm home game at Varsity Centre against Hamilton and then Sunday a road game against Rochester. I will miss my first home game as I’ll be at the MLS game between Toronto FC and San Jose. I expect they will have one playoff home date by either finishing first or second.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Dustin

Impressive photography! You obviously had a sideline view. There is no doubt your zoom-lens discriminates in favour of the soccer Kournikovas.

I guess we have something in common. Now isn't that more far interesting than paying $10 to sit fifty feet away from the action in the dump called Centennial Park?

Fire the Lynx Public Relations.

Dustin

Impressive photography! You obviously had a sideline view. There is no doubt your zoom-lens discriminates in favour of the soccer Kournikovas.

I guess we have something in common. Now isn't that far more interesting than paying $10 to sit fifty feet away from the action in the dump called Centennial Park?

Fire the Lynx Public Relations.

Archived