2008 CONCACAF Women’s Under-17 Championship

CoachRich

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

Don't think it matters which part of Canada they are from does it?

No it doesn't. But perhaps what you fail to realize is that perceptions do matter. One would ask, did B.C. players had equal opportunity?

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

Perceptions don't matter if you trust & support the National Team Coaches to do their job to pick the best players to represent Canada & to move the WP forward. It's really that simple.

Actually your dead wrong on this one CoachRich... such statistical variations shows the selection process has a bias... it could be as simple as these are the players Bryan Rosenfeld from Thunder Bay has seen, if the program at the Natonal level does not have independent scouts feeding players to the training centres and the National TD does not have a view of the players team selections will be just as bias as they are in local clubs, based on friendship ..contacts, cliques etc. rather then dispassionate independent selection.

Its a long standing and serious structural issue in the CSA and its never been dealt with properly.

Its wrong.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

CoachRich,Once again you failed to answer a question.

Once again you fail to understand. Here it doesn't matter if there are no players from BC. They are all National players & the best Canadians the coach has selected. I trust the coach has done his job & like the players he will get my support for their program.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Actually your dead wrong on this one CoachRich... such statistical variations shows the selection process has a bias... it could be as simple as these are the players Bryan Rosenfeld from Thunder Bay has seen, if the program at the Natonal level does not have independent scouts feeding players to the training centres and the National TD does not have a view of the players team selections will be just as bias as they are in local clubs, based on friendship ..contacts, cliques etc. rather then dispassionate independent selection.

Its a long standing and serious structural issue in the CSA and its never been dealt with properly.

Its wrong.

Stats, friends, Pro Clubs, PSO & etc doesn't really matter as the coach has his job to do in the current system. The coaches job is quite simple & that is to make the program & the players the most successful they can be in the current system for our country. As supporters our job is quite simple too.

I'm the 1st to say the CSA as a NSO is not doing it's job as a NSO/business, out of touch w/ the soccer community, out of touch of current NSO development trends & etc. Basically the CSA is in the stone ages & as a NSO they have no master plan. Most other NSO's have had master plans decades ago.

W/ the current situation at the CSA it doesn't matter what we think or say as we are not part of the system to be able to make the changes we think are best. Hence it's why we dwell in the forums here to share ideas, support & move forward w/ the limited control we have in certain areas of the youth & senior levels.

Sometimes we make small strides in bringing issues to bear on the CSA but mostly the CSA is not the cost effective or controlable place/entity to change the future of the game in Canada. We need to start at youth clubs & move up because at those levels we can make changes. As I've said before youth & senior soccer need to be put together so they become real sports clubs vs the current program/academy style that has no true development pathway from U5 up in a model that varies from club to club, province to province & etc.

The game we are so passionate about is so simple but everyone is so full of self interest & olde school development that the sport in Canada dies as kids hit U16.

I don't care what part of the country the players come from as long as the coach makes an honest effort to choose the best players in his view

for the team. I was just surprise to have that big of a contrast between

the two teams. I guess that (talent equal) the coaches tend to pick the players that they see everyday.

^ And the ones that make themselves available wherever the training centre is located geopgraphically. If you can't show up for training regularly when required then unless you are exceptional, you're toast and the coach will go with somebody who can.

Applicable quote from Richard earlier in the year:

quote:

One might draw conclusions about the quality of youth development in each of the provinces from the proportion of players who make it onto the national youth teams but this really should be extrapolated over many years for it to be truly meaningful. Doing it on the basis of one or a few teams will likely be very misleading.

quote:Originally posted by turbo

I don't care what part of the country the players come from as long as the coach makes an honest effort to choose the best players in his view

for the team. I was just surprise to have that big of a contrast between

the two teams. I guess that (talent equal) the coaches tend to pick the players that they see everyday.

Another factor could be how much money they have for traveling as if their budget is small they will have cut $ to focus on the core of the program.

This kind of thing happens all the time in World junior hockey. You get an Ontario coach and you will get more Ontario players. You get an Albertan coach or western coach and you will get more western players. If you have 2 players of roughly the same ability and one player you've seen play for years and the other one infrequently which one are you going to take? You will go with the known quantity. The difference here is Hockey Canada scout players all over Canada for years before they get to WJ level. They are all pretty much known quantities so it helps balance things out better. And well the CSA is well the CSA, just a cash strapped bunch of amateurs.

Archived