Toronto FC must sign more Canadians

michaeltfc91

Bearcat....I have to disagree. I really believe Rosenlund was terrible today.

Either he lacks confidence or instincts but he's missing something because I thought he was the worst player on the pitch for TFC. everything he did was innacurate, too slow or simply the wrong decision.

I watched him carefully during the game and I grew increasingly frustrated by his play. I think TFC should have played a 4-3-1-2 because having Rosenlund on the pitch was a like being a man short. After being quite critical of Mo Edu thus far this season, I can't wait to have him back on Tuesday.

having said that, I'm glad he got a start. He can't be worse so hopefully he'll settle in better when Edu is gone with the US Olympic team.

I'm sure people will disagree so let the criticisms of my view of his performance roll in.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

That doesn't necessarily mean that he wasn't good enough to "make the grade". He made TFC's grade as a domestic last year. He wasn't a domestic on any other team and it cost him. If Yallop stays as the coach of the Galaxy, in all probability Poz would still be playing with TFC this year.

The domestic vs international thing was irrelevant in Pozniak's case. Both San Jose and Chivas had spare international spots thanks to the phasing out of YIs.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

You are really trying to argue that if you go out and sign 4 fringe Canadian national team players in their mid to late 20s and they all fail to make the grade you can't draw any conclusions from it?

Sure I can, the same conclusions I drew from watching Peter Canero and Andy Welsh. The coach sucks at evaluating talent, when the results go downhill he looks for a scapegoat.

quote:Today's game was further proof that TFC's reliance on over the hill internationals is leading this team nowhere.

Thank you, it's becoming overly clear. TFC is nothing more than Laurent Robert's pension fund, he's very lazy.

Compare that to a guy like Rohan Ricketts or Javier Morales who busts his ass to play every week. Younger players have more to prove, more to play for, and wear down less. Flip side is they usually have less talent, but if Robert is only going to use 10% of his ability, then he might as well be replaced.

If there weren't a strong argument for change the rest of MLS would have seen straight through a ploy like that.

I wouldn't quote MLS as a reliable source of anything. Their roster rules don't make any sense, the officiating is poor, and they play favorites whenever they feel like it.

I thought Rosenlund was okay, keeping in mind it was his first start. He and Harmse are different players. Rosenlund should be the backup to Edu, Harmse for Robbo. Rosenlund is more of an attacker, as opposed to the holding type of game Harmse plays.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

I thought Rosenlund was okay, keeping in mind it was his first start. He and Harmse are different players. Rosenlund should be the backup to Edu, Harmse for Robbo. Rosenlund is more of an attacker, as opposed to the holding type of game Harmse plays.

Agree with Rosenlund being OK yesterday. I liked his movement off the ball on the offensive end.

The domestic vs international thing was irrelevant in Pozniak's case. Both San Jose and Chivas had spare international spots thanks to the phasing out of YIs.

It's irrelevant for San Jose because they traded him for another international player, a striker, because they felt they needed more help up front then having another average defender (and judging by yesterday's game they were right). But it's also wrong to suggest he "failed to make the grade" with that team. As for Chivas having more spots available at the time, I don't think teams judge a player's worth on that basis. Either you are worth an international spot & nearly $100,000 or you aren't. If they felt they could get the same or better value for that money & free up an international spot then who can blame them? Somebody else suggested he was brought in as cover until a bunch of regular defenders got healthy, and that would also make sense (particularly as he started most games for Chivas that he played). Still irrelevant to whether Poz showed he was good enough to play in the league as a domestic which he did last year.

You are really trying to argue that if you go out and sign 4 fringe Canadian national team players in their mid to late 20s and they all fail to make the grade you can't draw any conclusions from it?

Again with the playing with the facts. TFC signed four "fringe" national team players - Sutton, Pozniak, Braz and Reda. At the time the decision was made to grant TFC extra spots after Mo's whining, two of the four turned out to be good enough to make the grade. If you add Stamatopoulos to the fringe national team player group that would make it 3 out of 5. Even if you want to quibble that Sutton wasn't a "fringe national team player" (and I'd say at the time he was as much of one as Braz would have been) that still leaves two out of four.

Canizalez had not been a "fringe national team player" for at least four years prior to his signing, which is a lifetime in international soccer standards. What's more, they signed Canizalez right at the very last minute prior to the season starting after already having passed up on even taking a look at Kevin Harmse and Andrew Ornoch. This is what I mean about self-fulfilling prophecies and how it applies perfectly to Mo.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Agreed, I don't think he did anything special in the game but neither did he stick out as not belonging. He wasn't successful with all of his attempted offensive passing but that applied to all of TFC yesterday, tough to single him out in particular.

I actually thought taking him off for a striker was a good idea, too bad the striker was Cunningham who was as crap as usual.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Bearcat....I have to disagree. I really believe Rosenlund was terrible today.

Either he lacks confidence or instincts but he's missing something because I thought he was the worst player on the pitch for TFC. everything he did was innacurate, too slow or simply the wrong decision.

I watched him carefully during the game and I grew increasingly frustrated by his play. I think TFC should have played a 4-3-1-2 because having Rosenlund on the pitch was a like being a man short.

For starters, my opinion of his performance is influenced by the fact that this was his first start in an MLS league match. I also compared his play to that which I have seen from Harmse over the past two seasons: I realize they play different midfield positions but when it comes to the passing side of the game I have always felt that TFC played like a man short every match that Harmse was on the field . . . now there's a guy who lacks confidence and, especially, instincts.

As I stated, Rosenlund has a long ways to go. In the end he may not have what it takes to be a consistent MLS performer: if he is getting regular first team minutes in the future and still gets caught in possession like he did on a couple of occasions during the SJ match, then I'll start getting on him about his lack of ability as opposed to giving him the benefit of the doubt. And like you said, maybe he'll settle in and develop, who knows? But like you, I also am glad he got the start.

Rosenlund played a decent game nothing extraordinary but not sub par either. The guy who I noticed getting caught in possesion more than once was Robert. I don't know what he is getting paid in MLS but it is too much. I'm definately not saying Rosenlund was great but to say it was like playing a man short is ridiculous.

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

Rosenlund played a decent game nothing extraordinary but not sub par either. The guy who I noticed getting caught in possesion more than once was Robert. I don't know what he is getting paid in MLS but it is too much. I'm definately not saying Rosenlund was great but to say it was like playing a man short is ridiculous.

I'll stand up for Robert to the point that I have no problem with a talented attacking player spending most of his energy doing what he does best.

However, considering he hasn't been much of a dynamic force, he should consider getting back to play some defense.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

I'll stand up for Robert to the point that I have no problem with a talented attacking player spending most of his energy doing what he does best.

However, considering he hasn't been much of a dynamic force, he should consider getting back to play some defense.

The team is totally disjointed. They are not playing like a team.

I get the feeling that the game plan they try to employ lately is thrown out the window early each game. This team was "supposed" to be built on playing the ball on the wings and putting crosses into the box. However, our wing players are not delivering consistently good crosses into the box, nor do they seem to be able to break down defenders 1v1 with any consistency. Guevara is being marked ridiculously tight because other teams know he is the only decent passer of the ball on the team, so he is essentially neutralized. This should open other opportunities but its not happening. Plus, this team is so incredibly static in its offense, it's painful to watch at times. It is so rare to see a run being made off the ball and a good pass being made to spring the runner. The one time it happened on Saturday, Ricketts' 2nd touch was so shockingly bad that the opportunity was neutralized.

Also, the fact that 3 of the 4 defenders plus Robinson are horrific passers equals a sputtering offense.

quote:Originally posted by themodelcitizen

Pozniak came in handy as a utility player during an injury-racked season as he could play 3 or 4 different positions. Problem was, he wasn't particularly good at any of them.

In other words, a jack of all trades . . . and a master of none.

Plus, this team is so incredibly static in its offense, it's painful to watch at times. It is so rare to see a run being made off the ball and a good pass being made to spring the runner. The one time it happened on Saturday, Ricketts' 2nd touch was so shockingly bad that the opportunity was neutralized.

There was another nice run by Ibrahim in the first half with Robert threading a good pass to him, resulting in a free kick. That Ricketts' play: is that the one where he dribbled the ball right into the keeper? If so, that was a bed sh*tter.

The team is totally disjointed. They are not playing like a team.

I get the feeling that the game plan they try to employ lately is thrown out the window early each game. This team was "supposed" to be built on playing the ball on the wings and putting crosses into the box. However, our wing players are not delivering consistently good crosses into the box, nor do they seem to be able to break down defenders 1v1 with any consistency. Guevara is being marked ridiculously tight because other teams know he is the only decent passer of the ball on the team, so he is essentially neutralized. This should open other opportunities but its not happening. Plus, this team is so incredibly static in its offense, it's painful to watch at times. It is so rare to see a run being made off the ball and a good pass being made to spring the runner. The one time it happened on Saturday, Ricketts' 2nd touch was so shockingly bad that the opportunity was neutralized.

Also, the fact that 3 of the 4 defenders plus Robinson are horrific passers equals a sputtering offense.

I agree with you 100%.

Our style of attack isn't hard to mark out ... at all. As you said, blanket Guevarra out of the game. For the wingers running the channel you just place an extra guy behind the defender out wide (like Yallop did) at it more or less neutralizes their attacking runs. By that time it becomes a game of long ball, well it's such a low percenatage game we're no longer dangerous. Even if it's Danny Dichio trying to keep control on those balls lofted up field.

If we had an actual AM in the centre it would help a lot. Not that i believe Mo Johnston understands what that concept is all about.

A telling word on Rosenlund - if you go to www.mlsnet.com and watch the highlights selected for the TFC vs. San Jose match, Rosenlund has a hand in the build up of every chance Toronto created in the first half. True they are hardly going to show the odd giveaway that he was guilty of, but then everyone on the field for TFC was somewhat guilty of that in that game. As such, difficult to argue that he didn't show any promise on his MLS starting debut.

quote:Originally posted by themodelcitizen

Pozniak came in handy as a utility player during an injury-racked season as he could play 3 or 4 different positions. Problem was, he wasn't particularly good at any of them.

Yes that is true but unlike several of the current TFC players he wasn't particularly bad at any of them either. If TFC signs a lineup full of top notch foreigners I'll at least concede that we don't have enough Canadians available who could replace them. However, with the number of poor to mediocre foreigners on TFC at the moment there is no reason that they shouldn't have more Canadians on the team especially when there are superior Canadians available. Mo has shown from day 1 that he can not evaluate talent and relies mostly on the (often out of date) reputation of players to make decisions. TFC's problem is not that there is a lack of Canadian talent available but that they have an incompetent manager.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

A telling word on Rosenlund - if you go to www.mlsnet.com and watch the highlights selected for the TFC vs. San Jose match, Rosenlund has a hand in the build up of every chance Toronto created in the first half. True they are hardly going to show the odd giveaway that he was guilty of, but then everyone on the field for TFC was somewhat guilty of that in that game. As such, difficult to argue that he didn't show any promise on his MLS starting debut.

And he scored a goal that should have stood if not for a bruttal call from the ref.

Archived