Toronto FC must sign more Canadians

michaeltfc91

TFC have only 3 Candians playing on the national team

Jim Brennan (Sub)

Greg Sutton (Sub)

Kevin Harmse (lucky to be a sub)

Then we have 6 young developmental Canadians who won't be playing on the national team.

Gabe Gala

Tyler Hemming

Tyler Rosenlund (1 cap sub appearance vs. Martinique)

Nana Attakora Gyan

David Monsalve

Joey Melo

I think we have to sign about 2 or 3 more Candians who play on the national team otherwise this whole thing about helping the Canadian national team is not happening and Houston Dynamo are doing a better job. We could sign:

Patrice Bernier, Ali Gerba, Radzinsky, Paul Stalteri, Dwayne De Rosario, Adrian Serioux...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Gabe and Nana are both potential MNT contibutors in the next 5-7 years. If TFC is giving them a proper football education and preparing them to be solid professionals, then TFC is doing its job.

The best thing TFC (or Impact and Whitecaps, for that matter) can do for the FUTURE of the MNT is to develop young players and get them high level experience. Having current MNT roster players on TFC's roster isn't going to help the MNT much (other than to shorten travel times to national team games).

As a TFC supporter, I want them to field the best starting XI they can and win games while giving opportunities to talented young Canadians to come up through the reserves and earn their way into the starting XI. I'm convinced that Nana is not that far away (in my mind, he's a definite TFC starter in the next 24 months and maybe next season).

Guest speedmonk42

The real impact of TFC is going to be having something local for players to aim for. Something in range. TFC has also 'legitimized' the game in Canada in way it was not before and this goes a long way towards creating the 'permission' you need to create a soccer culture.

The impact (no pun intended) of TFC will not be felt for at least five years. But I am certain there will be one.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I'm convinced that Nana is not that far away (in my mind, he's a definite TFC starter in the next 24 months and maybe next season).

Yeah, for now it seems like the most likely of the young Canadians to make a break through onto the senior team starting XI, hopefully in the near future.

But I'm never sure with Mo at the helm...

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

The real impact of TFC is going to be having something local for players to aim for. Something in range. TFC has also 'legitimized' the game in Canada in way it was not before and this goes a long way towards creating the 'permission' you need to create a soccer culture.

Bingo!

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Bingo!

The problem is, they've also legitimized the game in Canada as one almost completely absent of Canadians. One where it's ok to put almost no Canadians on the field. Where players from the home country are exotic or almost token! Whether this is true, false, or somewhere in between, it doesn't matter. This is the impression, and the standard now.

Don't get me wrong, TFC's impact will be, in the long-term, positive. But that doesn't make up for the bait-and-switch they pulled with the Canadian content issue, and the surprising indifference to this of many if not most of the TFC fans (not you, of course Rudi.)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well as TFC were able to get Abbe Ibrahim in a trade because he wanted to live in Canada with his family rather than the US, maybe we can convince him to play for Canada. He's got 5 years to make the switch.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder ..........

If TFC had a canadian coach, there would be at least 5-6 canadians on the team. simple as that. that's the only problem.

even that #$%&! Frank Yallop managed to bring in Onstad, deRo, Jazic and Harmse into his teams at various times without any canadian slots. He also tried for KOA and maybe Gerba now. Imagine what he might have done with TFC in terms of bringing in Canadian players.

Yallop, Stephen Hart, Dasovic, even Collin Miller or a guy like Craig Forrest who doesnt know jack about coaching would still have put Canadians on the pitch, at least. At least Carver has used his Newcastle contacts to bring in decent non-canadian players, but Mo Johnston is a cancer on Canadian soccer, and should be eliminated.

And yes i know people will say there are no affordable canadian players. But Hemming, Gerba, Bernier, Poz, Serioux and deRo could all be starting on TFC today along with Brennan and Sutton if Canadian soccer mattered to TFC.

Guest speedmonk42

Canadians will be playing for TFC.

It is going to take time.

No Canadian coach with out a truckload of cash and a powerful shaman could pry DeRo from any team. You think Carver or Mo would not get DeRo if they could?

I don't know what the problem is?

Mr Pipe was right. TFC is about creating talent and not just a team in Toronto.

Kids in Come-by-Chance Newfoundland to Squamish BC to Inuvik NWT will play better and more soccer because there's an MLS team in a National Stadium In Toronto.

Geez it wasn't all about getting a team in Toronto, it was about providing a dream for Canadian players.

But if your family moved to the UK and you have dual citizenship maybe your odds are better.

What's Mr Pipe doing these days?

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

If TFC had a canadian coach, there would be at least 5-6 canadians on the team. simple as that. that's the only problem.

even that #$%&! Frank Yallop managed to bring in Onstad, deRo, Jazic and Harmse into his teams at various times without any canadian slots. He also tried for KOA and maybe Gerba now. Imagine what he might have done with TFC in terms of bringing in Canadian players.

Yallop, Stephen Hart, Dasovic, even Collin Miller or a guy like Craig Forrest who doesnt know jack about coaching would still have put Canadians on the pitch, at least. At least Carver has used his Newcastle contacts to bring in decent non-canadian players, but Mo Johnston is a cancer on Canadian soccer, and should be eliminated.

And yes i know people will say there are no affordable canadian players. But Hemming, Gerba, Bernier, Poz, Serioux and deRo could all be starting on TFC today along with Brennan and Sutton if Canadian soccer mattered to TFC.

Ahh simmer down . . . chill! You're just sore because TFC blew it in stoppage to those g*ddamn Chicago ginks. But I'm in sympathy with you, if that helps. (And yeah, I really really wish TFC had Adrian Serioux! He'd've dealt with that prick Thorrington, you bet he would've! Btw, didn't Mo trade Adrian for that hobblin' hobbit prick RonnieO? Dammit Mo, what were you thinking?)

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

You think Mo boy thinks ? Geez your in trouble. What happened with his trip to the FC Help club in Rio last winter.. did he get any players lined up ?

Apparently he went and watched Botofogo and fluminense play. Lot of good that does, guy wants to buy BMW's on his used car budget.

even that #$%&! Frank Yallop managed to bring in Onstad, deRo, Jazic and Harmse into his teams at various times without any canadian slots.

Don't forget Pozniak, however short-lived it was.

But Hemming, Gerba, Bernier, Poz, Serioux and deRo could all be starting on TFC today along with Brennan and Sutton if Canadian soccer mattered to TFC.

Hemming - back on the team

Bernier - MLS as a whole shies away from transfer fees of any kind

Serioux - traded for Ronnie O'Brien last year, at the time it was a no-brainer (and he was the only class player we had last year, now we have Guevara/Robert)

DeRo - too much to lose in trading someone like Edu and/or Wynne (really our only bargaining chips)

As for Gerba, I would've liked to see us trade for his rights when dealing the Huckerby discovery claim, but at the moment I'll take anyone up front.

I agree that I'd like to see Toronto with more Canadians, but it's not as easy as some people here are making out. Don't forget that other teams -- in the States as well as Europe -- know that we're the only Canadian team at this level and will play hardball with their Cdn players accordingly.

EDIT: I think Calgary Bloomer put it best in another thread:

quote:As for the contstant whining for more Canadian players...I couldn't disagree more. You're not going to win with Canadians. And if you DID have 5-6 CDN Internationals, what would happen during WCQ and Gold Cup play? You'd lose half your roster. I'd much rather see 2-3 quality Canadians on TFC, and Vancouver-Montreal eventually, than have them all on the same team.

Hemming - back on the team

- Yet he will never see the pitch.

Bernier - MLS as a whole shies away from transfer fees of any kind

- he has been out of contract and available 2wice since TFC's been around, they low balled him once and he rightly refused.

Serioux - traded for Ronnie O'Brien last year, at the time it was a no-brainer (and he was the only class player we had last year, now we have Guevara/Robert)

- Obrien class? what did he do last year? Zip. Serioux is a top defender in MLS, coincidentally our weakest area.

DeRo - too much to lose in trading someone like Edu and/or Wynne (really our only bargaining chips)

- I would trade both of those american punks in a 2 for 1 trade for dero any day. Who are we trying to help here? Do you think those two are world class or something? Id rather see Harmse and Hemming play in their spots respectively, we would not be losing much, if anything at all, and we'd have deRo. deRo is better than any player we have and would be well worth whatever Houston asks.

"As for the contstant whining for more Canadian players...I couldn't disagree more. You're not going to win with Canadians."

- what BS.

And if you DID have 5-6 CDN Internationals, what would happen during WCQ and Gold Cup play? You'd lose half your roster.

- you play your kids and allow for the development of Cdn Soccer.

"I'd much rather see 2-3 quality Canadians on TFC, and Vancouver-Montreal eventually, than have them all on the same team."

- id rather see 6-8 on each.

I know that this argument tends to go in circles, so i'll just leave it alone.

Honestly, you could not make a post long enough to detail the complete level of options available to Mo Johnston in terms of Canadian players. It's easy to name off guys that have a high profile and say we should go after them. But the real area we should be looking is in the up and comer category. Ryan Gyaki, Dave Simpson, Ali Gerba, those are the type of players we should be looking for.

Side note: I think it's sad we give Jarred Smith games but Gala can't get a shot. If it wasn't for all these extra international spots i'd gaurantee he'd be getting games.

After seeing Velez make an error against Chicago in ET, doesn't that point out

that the current defensive pairings may need help? (And having foreign players

are no guarantee that improvements have been made?)

Sorry, but IMO Velez, Cunningham, and Marshall are not exactly meeting expectations.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Apparently he went and watched Botofogo and fluminense play. Lot of good that does, guy wants to buy BMW's on his used car budget.

Laughs.. hell I am pretty sure he spent his time at Help ..in fact.. well no better not tell that story.

But your right I doubt Mo has any understanding of the games structure in Brasil or how to go and find players in the incubator state leagues in local pro clubs. He could have had lots of talent from clubs like Bacabal or Remo in the north and at discounted prices, in fact MLSE could buy a club like Paysandu right now for chump change and take them back up to the top level in a year.

Remember the MLSE ownership is deeply involved in Brasil with Brascan and Brookfield property management.

Mo if you want to go to Brasil ... you need to get a guide who does not work at Help disco.

Be

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Side note: I think it's sad we give Jarred Smith games but Gala can't get a shot. If it wasn't for all these extra international spots i'd gaurantee he'd be getting games.

Gala is another guy that I hoped would have factored more into the line up this year, building on last year's appearences.

Archived