Whitecaps article full of errors

Tintin

From the Whitecaps site, there's a link to a Vancouver Sun article by Iain MacIntyre about the Toronto game. The headline says "Whitecaps prove they're MLS-ready with draw in Toronto." In Toronto? Did MacIntyre think he'd made a trip to Toronto?

In the second paragraph, he says "...then rallied with a 97th minute goal" In the 97th minute? And here I was leaving after 90 minutes.

Later, he says "Vancouver won in Toronto last week also beat the MLS's Los Angeles Galaxy". Not factually incorrect, but grammatically it's really not what one would expect from a newspaper article.

After that, I gave up reading the rest.

I noticed that also. Maybe he cut and pasted the post-July 1st game column and made the appropriate changes to the article but missed a few. Indeed, it was a strange article.

How does that 97th minute get past an editor? They still have these at the Vancouver Sun/Province, don't they? Any one of us could have done a much better write-up of the game.

Late goals that change the outcome in an evening match are absolute death for newspaper reporters. They often have to rewrite huge sections of their article in a matter of minutes to get it in on deadline. They are rushed, the editor is rushed, and the headline writer is rushed. I always cringe when I see a late equaliser or game-winner, because I know full well what it means.

Archived