Toronto Star Writer Picks a Concacaf XI

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Besides De Guzman you mean?

I know a lot of people will disagree especially on here. But I rate Suazo over De Guzman. I'm fully ready for the 3 million posts to come saying all of the reason why De Guzman is better, and I think they are both very close, but I'd give Suazo the edge.

I dunno. Call me an EPL knob-head, but anyone who starts the highly inconsistent Suazo over Carlos Vela must be pretty impressed by big clubs names, not by performance. Vela is going to be a killer, and Sven will go to him often. I would wager he will have more goals for his country that Suazo by the end of the Hex -when he'll still be just 20.

The English press will take notice when Vela and Dos Santos start going at it in the North London derby. Hopefully this season.

He's also got Dempsey as a starter instead of Landycakes. Backline of Salcido (LB), Marquez (CB), Bocanegra?? (LB/CB/DM) and Gardner (LB/DM). So who's playing RB? You have Osorio who might be the best RB in CONCACAF on the bench. Bocanegra is the other CB then i guess, instead of Felipe Baloy?

Cathal, you need to get our more. Or maybe i do!? ;)

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I dunno. Call me an EPL knob-head, but anyone who starts the highly inconsistent Suazo over Carlos Vela must be pretty impressed by big clubs names, not by performance. Vela is going to be a killer, and Sven will go to him often. I would wager he will have more goals for his country that Suazo by the end of the Hex -when he'll still be just 20.

The English press will take notice when Vela and Dos Santos start going at it in the North London derby. Hopefully this season.

Vela and Dos Santos are both very skilled players and I rate them both very highly. In 2 or 3 years these guys are going to be huge. But if I were to make a CONCACAF XI for a friendly tomorrow I would have Suazo over both of them.

Suazo had a down year and he still scored 8 goals. He had 14 the year before and 22 before that.

Vela hasn't played a game in the EPL yet, so no, i won't call you an EPL knob-head. [:P]

BTW, you'll probably be right about him scoring more goals by the end of the Hex cuz Suazo will be eliminated come November!!

At leat he took a stab at it. Its a start. I always avoid those threads on BS as i do not know enough about too many CONCACAF Players to be able to call it. I look forward to the day we have Journos able to speak defintively as to who the best players in CONCACAF are

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Suazo had a down year and he still scored 8 goals. He had 14 the year before and 22 before that.

Vela hasn't played a game in the EPL yet, so no, i won't call you an EPL knob-head. [:P]

BTW, you'll probably be right about him scoring more goals by the end of the Hex cuz Suazo will be eliminated come November!!

But Vela has played two seasons in La Liga, and I think this will be his breakout year in the EPL. It's not easy for a boy to score on a crap team in Spain, given the quality of opposition.

Anyway, I hate all these grease balls, but my point was that Suazo is overrated. I know he scored a lot of goals one year to keep Cagliari up. Before that though, he played in Serie B for most of the early part of the decade and did **** for Honduras last cycle. He's reached his peak and it's all downhill for him now.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

You are both wrong!!!

Vela and Dos Santos will both have their legs broken one in Mexico and one in Canada by career ending tackles by Adrian Serioux.

But Vela has played two seasons in La Liga, and I think this will be his breakout year in the EPL. It's not easy for a boy to score on a crap team in Spain, given the quality of opposition.

Anyway, I hate all these grease balls, but my point was that Suazo is overrated. I know he scored a lot of goals one year to keep Cagliari up. Before that though, he played in Serie B for most of the early part of the decade and did **** for Honduras last cycle. He's reached his peak and it's all downhill for him now.

I think Vela will be a very good forward one day, but at this moment i'd still have Suazo as the #1 CONCACAF forward.

Right, drawing that bogus penalty aside, he didn't help Honduras. Here's hoping he has a repeat performance (except for drawing a penalty against us).

Did he just pick players based on their clubs? Bocanegra is a poor defender. Obviously based on national team performances Donovan should start. He is a high impact player every qualifying cycle and Gold Cup, Dempsey is not. I won't bother with the rest of the choices since I'm not sure what the criteria was...

<center>Tim Howard

Carlos Salcido - Carlos Bocanegra - Ricardo Osorio - Mike Klukowski

Dwayne DeRosario - Julian de Guzman - Rafa Marquez - Andres Guardado

David Suazo - Landon Donovan </center>

subs:

Guillermo Ochoa

Pablo Mastroeni

Shalrie Joseph

Kenwyne Jones

Atiba Hutchinson

Julio Cesar de Leon

Marlon King

EDIT: because I forgot Rafa Marquez. [:I]

I like your XI themodelcitizen with two exceptions. I'd take Marquez or almost anyone else including Serioux over Bocanegra on recent form. Marquez can at least convert a set piece and I think in terms of defensive battlers, Serioux has just as much to offer as Boca plus a throw in AND a bag of chips. The other one is Carlos Ruiz. What can he do? Not only does he epitomize the word A-hole but he's not even playing. I'd take Guevara for experience or dos Santos for ability over him any day.

ya you gotta have marquez on that pitch no question and suazo belongs there too. cathal kelly is definitely a knob head, I usually skip every article of his, he pisses me off, especially his profile pic. like JDG and rosario on the list of course

Is it just me or is there a better option between Canada, Mexico and Honduras for pretty much everyone else on the list (ClintD is alright I guess). Where is Julio Cesar Leon!? Ochoa!? It's also odd that the only player playing club football in CONCACAF is Guzan on the bench? for one, no...no guzan. for 2, The mexican league is pretty bomb. It's like Salcido and Guardado were chosen mostly cause they play in Europe (not to say one still wouldn't have made it but you don't see the real competition their dealing with from the Mexican league on the bench even.).

I don't want to make my own XI cause I don't feel like it right now but really, Michael Bradley? Bocanegra? they don't suck but talk about jumping the gun. I wouldn't put tim howard on but I can at least see the logic of that choice but some of these guys, sheesh.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

At leat he took a stab at it. Its a start. I always avoid those threads on BS as i do not know enough about too many CONCACAF Players to be able to call it. I look forward to the day we have Journos able to speak defintively as to who the best players in CONCACAF are

What he said. These lists are subjective. The news here isn't who he has on it, but that the damn thing was printed in the biggest newspaper in the country. Think we would have seen that 10 years ago?

quote:Originally posted by Juby

Is it just me or is there a better option between Canada, Mexico and Honduras for pretty much everyone else on the list (ClintD is alright I guess). Where is Julio Cesar Leon!? Ochoa!? It's also odd that the only player playing club football in CONCACAF is Guzan on the bench? for one, no...no guzan. for 2, The mexican league is pretty bomb. It's like Salcido and Guardado were chosen mostly cause they play in Europe (not to say one still wouldn't have made it but you don't see the real competition their dealing with from the Mexican league on the bench even.).

I don't want to make my own XI cause I don't feel like it right now but really, Michael Bradley? Bocanegra? they don't suck but talk about jumping the gun. I wouldn't put tim howard on but I can at least see the logic of that choice but some of these guys, sheesh.

Tim Howard? Who would you put instead of him? Yes Ochoa is promising but he didn't exactly looked good in the U-23 tournament in March.

Bradley has also a pretty good case for his selection, scoring 15 goals in the Eredivisie as a midfielder....

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

The news here isn't who he has on it, but that the damn thing was printed in the biggest newspaper in the country. Think we would have seen that 10 years ago?

Yes good point. I think some of us got too caught up in the player debate to really consider that. Is Canadian media really realizing soccer is a sport now? [:0]

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Tim Howard? Who would you put instead of him? Yes Ochoa is promising but he didn't exactly looked good in the U-23 tournament in March.

Bradley has also a pretty good case for his selection, scoring 15 goals in the Eredivisie as a midfielder....

true but he was also bomb at the mens level in Copa America, Americans do however tend to make great keepers so really that's one of my lesser problems with the 11. But still, Michael Bradley? a great season in eredivise isn't even the same as a great season in Mexico to me, let alone putting you amoung the elite of the whole continent (I bet I could think of at least 10 midfielders from mexico (as in mexicans, not solely in the mexican league) more deserving or about as deserving as bradley). In the long run he'll probably be deserving of being on the list but I think were jumping the gun.

Archived