Canadian Championship

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

What are the chances that in the near future provincial CSL clubs will participate in the Canadian Championship. Has the CSA made any mentioned of such a proposal???

None I've seen. So far they seem to have decided USL-1 and up to enter is the criteria. There would have to be a playoff between all the regional leagues (CSL, Pacific, Atlantic) with the winner getting an entry.

I would like to see it because it creates great interest and I love to watch the underdog make a run and surprise some people.

I pondered the thought of the Challenge Cup winner getting a spot. CSA would have to back them up financially of course. They would be a minnow but what a chance to play against the pros and bring the pros to small town Canada. Then I saw that the CMNT is operating on $1 million. MLSE eats that for lunch everyday! (Not to mention, Kerfoot, Saputo, Melnyk and the like). <scrap that>

What teams are currently not eligible for the Challenge Cup and Canadian Championship? CSL, PCSL and USL-PDL teams. Is that all? 11+8+5=24 (not counting expansion teams in 2009) So a simple 32 team bracket (with byes) needs to be finished before May-2009 to determine 4th team. Could the teams get together and rent a domed, full sized, soccer field and run this during the winter?

Another question on the same lines is can Canada get 2 spots? Currently every Central American country (save 2 - Belize and Nicaragua) get 2 spots. How high must Canada finish to get a spot from Panama? Will CONCACAF use a coefficient system like UEFA?

The only way a 4th spot can be awarded is if ALL the other minnow leagues playoff to get ONE winner to make up a 4th spot.

But, in order to playoff, those teams will have to raise some funds for travel etc. I think we're a few years off on that one...especially because many teams don't have suitable stadia. (Perhaps the CSA could offer a list of criteria that teams could follow)

At this point, the CSA is a slave to the professional clubs(look at TFC picking and choosing which players of theirs get to represent Canada!). These three clubs have no interest in sharing their kitty with the others, and so it will remain as a three team cash-grab for some time.

Archived