Voyageurs Brochure - Now Final Draft (TORONTO)

strobe_z

Alright lads, I've put together a rough draft of what I think we should be handing out at the three WCQ home games (and any beyond that as well probably). I still need a lot of content so I'm asking for help.

vbrochuredraftsw3.th.jpg vbrochuredraft2lk3.th.jpg

The brochure is designed in such a way that anyone of us will be able to download it and print off a few copies. I've left margins so that most home/office printers will have no problem and nothing will get cut off. Now the page will be standard 8.5x11 and with two folds. So if you look at the images below, the Circle V logo will be the front cover, and the Red/White Forever image will be on the back cover when it's all folded up. The Julian image will be on the inside flap when you first open the brochure and then the 2-panel spread of V-text logo and screamin' V's will be on the interior of the brochure (with the Canada/Jamaica lineups being printed on the other side of the Julian image panel). If that's too confusing, just fold up a piece of paper into thirds and you'll catch on pretty quickly.

Now in terms of content, we have six panels to work with:

1-main cover. V-logo and game day information (easily updated)

2-back cover. Red/Whie image and some contact information (anything else?)

3-Canadian Int'l Player of the year - we should make it clear that this is a V-award. The text might need some editting to fit properly (i just grabbed a press release and slapped it int).

4/5-Main V "story". Who we are, what we do, what we want people to know. At the moment I just used text from the FIFA.com story as a place holder...

6-Canadian/Opposition line-ups. I've found this is very helpful information for the casual fans and keeping it useful will ensure a longer brochure "shelf life". It's also information that will (hopefully) be available well enough in advance of the game that it's easy to update.

As always, comments and suggestions solicited. Oh, and I hope I don't need permission to use any of the photos I found on the board (Blue and White Army, I'm looking at you!). Once the final text copy is available I'll be able to polish up the design. I didn't want to make too many design-related constraints on the text before everyone gets their say.

Finally, for design sake, I'm working on a full-colour brochure. Once it's done there'll also be a home/office printer friendly B&W version.

Great idea!

In other words, I was very disappointed for my first game watching Canada live (against SVG) - CSA didn't provide any match brochure. Is this a normal situation or it's only the fact that they considered it as a second-hand game? (sorry for the offtopic).

quote:Originally posted by Melpomenus

Great idea!

In other words, I was very disappointed for my first game watching Canada live (against SVG) - CSA didn't provide any match brochure. Is this a normal situation or it's only the fact that they considered it as a second-hand game? (sorry for the offtopic).

That´s strange, I´ve been to youth national games and Womens national team games and they provided brochures...

quote:Originally posted by Obinna

That´s strange, I´ve been to youth national games and Womens national team games and they provided brochures...

I have three programs from Canadian soccer matches

2003 Women's Friendly- Canada vs. Australia - Kingston

2004 WCQ - Canada vs. Belize - Kingston

2007 U-20 World Cup - Various - Toronto

And I've seen MNT matches against Costa Rica and St. Vincent and neither of them had programs as well as Canada U-20 vs. Argentina U-20 in Toronto this year where there wasn't any program

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

Would it be possible to replace the pic of the Vs with a pic of the Vs from the St. VAG game in Montreal? I just think the crowd looks a tad sparse in the pic you're currently using.

The problem with comments like that is that you actually need to have a better picture. [:o)]

Seriousy, I've combed through all the images I could find from the St. VAG game, but the pictures are not really useable. There's some great pics in there to be sure, but for the most part they break down into 3 categories... a)1-2 Vs holding beer... b)a couple of Vs in the stands looking in different directions or c)a crowd of people which is mostly just the tops of a bunch of heads (view from the stands).

What we need is a good, high-quality image of the Vs from the front... hard to come by.

As far as the brochure itself, I do see it kind of like a free, V-sponsored game program. The CSA is kind of hit and miss on the game program front, so even if there is an official program, I think people will hang on to ours as well. This isn't designed to be a flyer you just stash under windshield wipers in the parking lot - if it was then we'd need just the name and website.

I see our brochure providing people with some interesting (Julian award/V-history) and usefull (team lineups) information to entertain them before the game/at the intermission, as well as to instruct them as to the fact that we're an actual organization and not just a bunch of goofs that hit the mall the day after Canada Day. We need to let people know who we are and how they can join the fun.

So who'd like to come up with the actual 'copy'? [8D]

My eyes are too weak to see most of the content. Simple is best, lineups should be prominent, I like the idea of one on each of the inside pages. The purpose is what? Mostly to get our name and contact info out thereMe, I like the idea of simple, a lot of white space, our name and web address plastered all over the place (on every page). I'd do something like:

Front Page - A title indicating Canada-Jamaica Offical rosters our name and website on it

Page 2 - Canadian Roster, our name and website address

Page 3 Jamiacian Roster, our name and website address

Back Page - V's logo, a brief about us, a few supporters pics and captions, website address. I would avoid the JdG story to be honest with you as I don't think it will do much to attract new blood. You could note in the about us section that we do sponsor this award and a bit about the V-Cup.

Generally speaking, the more work the brochure looks like to read, the fewer people who will look at it. Big font for rosters so they can be read. Also, this format allows for easy modification (just change the rosters and title/game date) same content. Colour will be wasted so B&W sufficient. Just some thoughts. I think the vocal supporters sections will be teh best advertisement and the brochure shuold focus on letting people know how to get in touch with us.

There's no doubt that a loud supporters section will be our best advertisement. The problem, imho, is that in the past there's been nothing to connect us with an actual group or organization - let alone one they can join.

I disagree that a lot of white space is better though. From a design stand-point, that tends to look amateurish - as if you either don't have anything to say... or you don't know how to say it. That's not to say that too much text is the way to go either, it can't look over crowded. I do agree though that we should probably devote more of the space to the lineups though.

Am I the only one who thinks that a nice game program/brochure is a better idea than a car wash flyer?

Not at all.

Gotta blend easily digestible "eye candy" and "brain food" or at least offer a teasing morsel of both. That way you'll catch the eye which has a disposition to either practice without being entirely exclusive. Certainly that's not a new concept to the overall packaging of sports "journalism" and one which your's truly grew up with in the way of the British football weeklys and is still very much practiced today. Hell, I'd say it's the standard now-a-days.

Think your pretty close to that strobe_z.

And Gordon is at least half right. Get rosters in there (ie make it topical and immediately relevant). Make sure the the website is everywhere (top, bottom, sideways in the margin. Use your imagination). But will disagree on what I think are a couple of important points. You'll never get people to invest time reading the fine print right away but you will get them keeping the flyer to revisit later if it looks like there is something worth reading. It's not a novel but you can tease with print so don't be a-feard to try.

That and colour is very important. Makes it look professional or at least like someone made an effort. Don't discount the influence of that sort of impression.

Just the humble opinions of someone lacking a high school education. Take it for what it's worth.

Ok, here's draft 2 - taking some of the suggestions into account.

vbrochuredraftkk2.th.jpg vbrochuredraft2qc8.th.jpg

I've reworked the placement a bit so now on the back cover is the Julian profile and I've added "Latest standings". If you open the brochure you'll get both line-ups side by side (with Canada on the left), and then if you open the inside fold you'll get the v-spread.

Now in glorious black & white.

Would someone like to try their hand at writing a "V-overview/sales pitch"? as well as the Julian story?

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

Ok, here's draft 2 - taking some of the suggestions into account.

vbrochuredraftkk2.th.jpg vbrochuredraft2qc8.th.jpg

I've reworked the placement a bit so now on the back cover is the Julian profile and I've added "Latest standings". If you open the brochure you'll get both line-ups side by side (with Canada on the left), and then if you open the inside fold you'll get the v-spread.

Now in glorious black & white.

Would someone like to try their hand at writing a "V-overview/sales pitch"? as well as the Julian story?

I think it looks pretty good! Well done!

Looking at it there, you have to admit, both the Canadian and Jamaican squads look pretty evenly matched! [:o)]

how about replacing that last line in the spread with something about the next game in MTL and the V's section, ie:

quote:Canada's next World Cup Qualifying match will be held Saturday September 6th, 2008 at Montreal's Stade Saputo. Tickets are available via www.Admission.com. We welcome all newcomers to join us in Section 114. Log on to our forum at www.thevoyageurs.com for more information. See you in Montreal!

And as much as i like that u20 Edmonton Vs pic, a more recent one showing more members/bigger crowd might not be a bad idea. (on second thought, that edmonton pic might work best).

n524812414_660288_5117.jpg

Good thinking, BrennanFan. How about this as the new last line...

"We'll be out in force for Canada's next World Cup qualifying match on Saturday, September 6 at Stade Saputo in Montreal. Pick up your tickets through www.admission.com and join us in section 114. For more information on the game or joining the Voyageurs, check out our website at www.thevoyageurs.com. See you in Montreal!"

You guys are all so committed, it's a real pleasure to read about endeavours such as this. Are a couple of V's going to be distributing them at the stadium? Is there a future in this as a revenue stream for the V's....say a very modest $1 cost for the product. I recognize the CSA would have to approve such a venture and their are issues around who would do the work, collect the money, but just a thought.

I'll make the changes to the text as suggested. As far as the image goes, I remain unconvinced - but only on design principles. BrennanFan's image is nice to look at but it's a bit too small (in terms of resolution), and in black and white it would be very obscure.

The netting really washes out the picture and the overall impact visually. Also, the fact that you can't see any faces really is a blow against that one. People like seeing people. The pic I'm currently using shows men and women of all shapes/sizes/ages/races united under Canadian football. There's passion and expression on all the faces and it has a very good composition.

If I had a high quality copy of BrennanFan's image, I would use it more as a faded background image. Do we have one so I can try?

In terms of actually charging for something... well that's a whole 'nother animal. It's not to say that it couldn't be done, but that would have to be an actual game program or something. I'm not entirely sure what kind of permission we'd have to get from the CSA, say if we sold them outside of the stadium. Not to say we couldn't do it, but that would have to be several pages of content on nice colour paper and professionally printed for people to shell out cash for them.

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

I'll make the changes to the text as suggested. As far as the image goes, I remain unconvinced - but only on design principles. BrennanFan's image is nice to look at but it's a bit too small (in terms of resolution), and in black and white it would be very obscure.

The netting really washes out the picture and the overall impact visually. Also, the fact that you can't see any faces really is a blow against that one. People like seeing people. The pic I'm currently using shows men and women of all shapes/sizes/ages/races united under Canadian football. There's passion and expression on all the faces and it has a very good composition.

If I had a high quality copy of BrennanFan's image, I would use it more as a faded background image. Do we have one so I can try?

In terms of actually charging for something... well that's a whole 'nother animal. It's not to say that it couldn't be done, but that would have to be an actual game program or something. I'm not entirely sure what kind of permission we'd have to get from the CSA, say if we sold them outside of the stadium. Not to say we couldn't do it, but that would have to be several pages of content on nice colour paper and professionally printed for people to shell out cash for them.

And there's beer visible - don't forget about that!

I tend to agree about charging - it would be very good if we could translate this into a revenue generator somehow, but for now, I think promotion (of the team and of the Vs) is the main goal, which means getting these babies into as many hands as possible. Short term costs for long term gain, as it were.

Archived