Reggae Boyz hit new low

Guest Dave

well 1) I'd bet dollars to donuts about half the people there don't live in jamaica, (not to say there not jamaicans) and 2) the point is true that you shouldn't judge people based on how they talk ( I think the classism remark is a little more apt) because it really says as little about their charecter as their religion or race.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Juby

...And it's not at all dumb, you talk a certain way your whole life and then your just expected to start typing in words you don't actually say and spell things different from how they sound where your from. btw it's called patois, it's a dialect of english, you can't just apply your standards on things like this.

It's called patios, isn't it? Just ask Canada3000. :D

I disagree with you. There's a right way and a wrong way to write. People who write the way they speak (as painfully demonstrated by Canada3000 yesterday) just come across as ignorant. Can you honestly say you can take anyone who writes like that seriously?

quote:Originally posted by Whither Canada

It's called patios, isn't it? Just ask Canada3000. :D

I disagree with you. There's a right way and a wrong way to write. People who write the way they speak (as painfully demonstrated by Canada3000 yesterday) just come across as ignorant. Can you honestly say you can take anyone who writes like that seriously?

I agree, furthermore i call BS on it being a "dialect". It's a lazy bastardization similar to some of the spelling changes the Americans have instituted (see: light->lite). Here's the wiki entry on it for those who give a crap about all of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patois

"Patois, although without a formal definition in linguistics, can be used to describe a language considered as nonstandard. Depending upon the instance, it can refer to pidgins, creoles, dialects,"...

"One derivation[1] is from Old French patoier meaning "to handle clumsily, to paw". The language sense may therefore arise from the notion of a clumsy manner of speaking"

I think that's pretty spot on, as is this:

Often these patois are popularly considered "bastardizations" of English, "broken English",

...or slang, but cases such as Jamaican are classified with more correctness as a creole language.

Jamaican is a creole language? That's an insult to creole which blends in words from different languages. Since when is spelling words phoentically cause to create a whole brand new language!?

As far as i'm concerned it's on par with Ebonics. It comes across as lazy and ignorant which is basically what the whole Ebonics movement catered to. The science was flawed and any non-white person of Canadian birth who speaks perfect English is a perfect example of that.

I would disagree in part. A classmate of mine got a job with the CIDA precisely because he was fluent in 'patois'. It may not be a new 'written' language but it certainly exists and is not just an 'accented' or 'bastardized' form of English.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I would disagree in part. A classmate of mine got a job with the CIDA precisely because he was fluent in 'patois'. It may not be a new 'written' language but it certainly exists and is not just an 'accented' or 'bastardized' form of English.

And did your classmate have to write like that in his job? or just speak that way.

My point is that on the written page, it really comes across as ignorant.

I'm Jamaican and I must say the posters/images on the first page made me chuckle.

Unfortunately, it's the obvious ignorance that makes it funny rather than any cleverness. :P

Also, when we are writing patois we do SPELL CORRECTLY.

We spell things the way they're pronounced!

That's more than one can say for French.

And one can hardly say it for English.

quote:Originally posted by jahmekya

I'm Jamaican and I must say the posters/images on the first page made me chuckle.

Unfortunately, it's the obvious ignorance that makes it funny rather than any cleverness. :P

Also, when we are writing patois we do SPELL CORRECTLY.

We spell things the way they're pronounced!

That's more than one can say for French.

And one can hardly say it for English.

Et vous parlez francais assez bien pour nous donne votre opinion?

Dude, words are spelt one way for a reason. Just cuz you think it sounds a certain way and therefore should be written that way, does not mean you are spelling it correctly.

quote:

Dude, words are spelt one way for a reason. Just cuz you think it sounds a certain way and therefore should be written that way, does not mean you are spelling it correctly.

I said it in a tongue-in-cheek way.

My point is, we're spelling patois not English.

There are patois words that have no relation to English words and there are words with English roots that are pronounced differently in patois. We write them all with spellings that correspond to their pronunciations. But since Canadians on a football site don't like it we had better change!

OK it's a deal.

While we're at it, why don't you Francophones write:

'fenestra' instead of 'fenetre' or

'hospital' instead of 'l'hopital' or

'vento' instead of 'vent'?

It's bad enough that you can pronounce neither the consonant clusters nor the vowels at the end of latin words, why should you bastardise the spellings as well?

I said it in a tongue-in-cheek way.

My point is, we're spelling patois not English.

There are patois words that have no relation to English words and there are words with English roots that are pronounced differently in patois. We write them all with spellings that correspond to their pronunciations. But since Canadians on a football site don't like it we had better change!

OK it's a deal.

While we're at it, why don't you Francophones write:

'fenestra' instead of 'fenetre' or

'hospital' instead of 'l'hopital' or

'vento' instead of 'vent'?

It's bad enough that you can pronounce neither the consonant clusters nor the vowels at the end of latin words, why should you bastardise the spellings as well?

I'm sorry. As someone with a degree in French I don't understand what you're getting at?

quote:

I'm sorry. As someone with a degree in French I don't understand what you're getting at?

I'm sorry, if you can't understand what I'm saying that degree in French is probably worth less than the recycled paper it's printed on.

That degree didn't teach you about the history of the French language or what it came from?

Then demand a refund!

I'm sorry, if you can't understand what I'm saying that degree in French is probably worth less than the recycled paper it's printed on.

That degree didn't teach you about the history of the French language or what it came from?

Then demand a refund!

Oh I get it, you're hear for an argument... ok...

A degree in French is useless? Maybe in Jamaica but Canada is Bilingual. I guess I should've taken a minor in Patois.

Maybe you can teach me about the history of the French language? And getting back to my earlier question, what are you getting at with pronunciations???

For all the insulting of Jamaican patois as indicative of "stupidity" or "laziness", there are a lot of people on this board whose spelling and grammar make me cringe. Internet message boards are a particularly vulnerable glass house from which to make judgements about other peoples' syntax.

Having said that, the RBZ poster who talked about "busn shotz" is probably retarded.

quote:

Oh I get it, you're hear for an argument... ok...

A degree in French is useless? Maybe in Jamaica but Canada is Bilingual. I guess I should've taken a minor in Patois.

Maybe you can teach me about the history of the French language? And getting back to my earlier question, what are you getting at with pronunciations???

On the contrary, I'm not arguing with you because I feel you're being deliberately dense.

Do get a degree in English as well then read my original post again. ;)

*Lesson 1: it's HERE*

quote:Originally posted by VoxPopuliCosmicum

For all the insulting of Jamaican patois as indicative of "stupidity" or "laziness", there are a lot of people on this board whose spelling and grammar make me cringe.

[:I]

Ahem. Ah, well. Errr.

Yeah, sorry about that.

man with all these jamaican supporters hi-jacking this board, it just seems to show that they are a little nervous about this game. from the amount of support we will have to the fact taht we will be fielding a far superior team to theirs. man this feels fantastic!!!

you guys better be ready cuz we're bringin' it!

Actually the more i think about it, Jamaicans are not only spelling incorrectly, but pronouncing incorrectly. Examples:

wit = with (there's an h there for a reason, it's a soft t)

mout = mouth (see above)

'pon = upon (the u "ah" sound is not pronounced)

'dem = them (it's a th soft sound, not a hard d sound)

These are standard english words, not borrowed from another language. If the pronounciation was an lazier you'd never understand 'dem ;)

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Actually the more i think about it, Jamaicans are not only spelling incorrectly, but pronouncing incorrectly. Examples:

wit = with (there's an h there for a reason, it's a soft t)

mout = mouth (see above)

'pon = upon (the u "ah" sound is not pronounced)

'dem = them (it's a th soft sound, not a hard d sound)

These are standard english words, not borrowed from another language. If the pronounciation was an lazier you'd never understand 'dem ;)

Funny how Canada3000 did manage to spell "knife" correctly though.

Archived