Jamaica in Toronto... on grass?

Daniel

And no, not "Jamaican" grass.

This month's Quebec Soccer mentions that the CSA is willing to lay sod at BMO for the Jamaica games to align with the players' wishes to play on a natural surface.

I guess Bxl Boy could help us with the details.

I wonder if the current surface can be removed or they would have to lay it right over top. I'd honestly be shocked if the CSA put the money into something like that. It would be a lot cheaper to just move it to Montreal.

quote:Originally posted by Lurker

I wonder if the current surface can be removed or they would have to lay it right over top. I'd honestly be shocked if the CSA put the money into something like that. It would be a lot cheaper to just move it to Montreal.

Montreal has an Impact game that night.

Couldn't they reschedule the Impact game or get them to play somewhere else? This is World Cup Qualifying, I'm sure it could be arranged if they wanted it so.

If they can get grass at BMO that'd be great. I don't know any much about the CSA budget but I'd say grass at BMO (at least for Aug 20th) would be a total waste of money due to poor planning.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

The Impact game seemingly could not be moved.

Grass at BMO is better than turf at BMO.

Not if it's laid right over top of the FieldTurf.

That's the worst possible solution ever, and the players should know this first hand after having played at Gilette Stadium last year in the Gold Cup.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

That's the worst possible solution ever, and the players should know this first hand after having played at Gilette Stadium last year in the Gold Cup.

We did win that match 3-0 though....

The Jamaican's can play while on their grass :D

We'll play on the grass. [8D]

Does it seem to anyone else that the CSA is starting to listen and do things that make sense? Not all the time and they have a long list of things to correct but they seem to have started.

Interesting. We'll have to see how it works out.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Does it seem to anyone else that the CSA is starting to listen and do things that make sense?

Agreed! Even if the grass-over-FieldTurf idea doesn't pan out as being perfect, I have to give credit to the CSA for paying attention to the players' comments and at least attempting to improve the playing surface conditions at BMO.

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

The turf can be rolled up and moved.

This would be great if they did it though.

What turf?

If you're referring to the FieldTurf, it's a permanent installation.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

The turf can be rolled up and moved.

This would be great if they did it though.

I don't think so.

That stuff weighs a lot once it is filled.

I agree that it's nice the CSA are listening to the players, however, we shouldn't be wasting the $$$ on a temporary surface when we all know the long term solution is to install a proper natural pitch. MLSE has the $$$ to reach an agreement with the city as to alternative usuage facilities. With MLS at 18 teams and a balanced schedule, that's 17 dates per year. Canada Cup is 2 dates per year, for now. Assume 2 international friendlies. CONCACAF Champions League, let's say 4 dates per year. That's 25 dates, which doesn't seem like much, except that with a proper surface you could probably add 5-10 international matches (MNT, WNT, other). And at 35 dates per year, bringing in revenue -I assume- of approximately $1m per date, I don't think the city would be wise to say no that. Especially if TFC could build a proper academy training ground as Kerfoot has done at SFU. That would solve a lot of issues right there, were it available to the public in some capacity.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I agree that it's nice the CSA are listening to the players, however, we shouldn't be wasting the $$$ on a temporary surface when we all know the long term solution is to install a proper natural pitch. MLSE has the $$$ to reach an agreement with the city as to alternative usuage facilities. With MLS at 18 teams and a balanced schedule, that's 17 dates per year. Canada Cup is 2 dates per year, for now. Assume 2 international friendlies. CONCACAF Champions League, let's say 4 dates per year. That's 25 dates, which doesn't seem like much, except that with a proper surface you could probably add 5-10 international matches (MNT, WNT, other). And at 35 dates per year, bringing in revenue -I assume- of approximately $1m per date, I don't think the city would be wise to say no that. Especially if TFC could build a proper academy training ground as Kerfoot has done at SFU. That would solve a lot of issues right there, were it available to the public in some capacity.

Cool, we'll ask to postpone WCQ until they do ;).

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

What turf?

If you're referring to the FieldTurf, it's a permanent installation.

I remember it being mentioned that it has to be rolled up and redone from time to time to keep it from being too flat and not springy/soft unlike astroturf.

Or, here's a crazy idea: get your head out of your arse and be realistic about what your association can do for you and play ONE game of the turf. I can't say for sure, but I would wager the cost of grass could likely pay for a couple of prep friendlies with decent visiting competition.

There is an issue beyond the dollars at stake, as my esteemed colleague Daniel seems to suggest. He just has it wrong:

I know I'd hate to be known as a bigger poof than Amado Gueverra. But don't you think he'll be talking about this in his pregame address to Honduras? About how the Canadians are a spoiled bunch of Euro snots who will crumble at the first hurdle. Will he be wrong?

I'm pushing for realism about what's necessity and what's luxury. I hope an acceptable pitch can be found for August 20, but if it's at the expense of other things -such as prep friendlies- I think it's a bad decision.

Beyond that, I want to hear comments from the players that show they are focused and committed to the task at hand. Of all the things to complain about, the pitch seems pretty far down the list. We've all seen the pitch. It's fine. It plays true enough. We all agree grass is the better long term solution, in a perfect world. And I find it especially odd because so many of the players are from Toronto and seem to be in awe of the atmosphere BMO produces for TFC. This is the National Stadium. There's so much potential there to have an outstanding home crowd. Montreal has a great pitch, but no opposing player is going to be afraid to play there with Saputo running the show.

Archived