GolTV to broadcast nat'l team games...?

Just a hunch, but with them getting the rights for the Van-TFC game, maybe they've got a deal with the CSA?

Coupled with this:

"TORONTO, July 4, 2008 – On Monday, July 7 at 2:15 p.m., Insight Sports and GolTV, Canada’s only 24-hour soccer channel, will make a major soccer announcement involving Canadian women’s national team captain and Vancouver Whitecaps striker Christine Sinclair and Toronto FC captain and Canadian men’s national team defender Jim Brennan at BMO Field in Toronto."

Maybe a bit hopeful. Do sportsnet have exclusive rights for MNT games?

GOLTV has a history of picking up Canadian games when Sportsnet passes on them.

Exclusive on GOLTV would be a blow for exposure, although tape-delayed on Sportsnet is not helping the fans who want to see it live.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

GOLTV has a history of picking up Canadian games when Sportsnet passes on them.

Exclusive on GOLTV would be a blow for exposure, although tape-delayed on Sportsnet is not helping the fans who want to see it live.

Perhaps they can do both then, have a live broadcast on GOLTV (produced by Sportsnet), and have a tape-delay on Sportsnet.

Although sportsnet does a pretty poor job showing the games on time and sometimes even showing them, exclusive to goltv would pretty much eliminate the MNT's ability to generate new interest on TV. I'm hoping for that partnership idea where we can catch the lower profile games live.

I agree. The best scenario is getting as many matches as Sportsnet bothers to do, to educate the uninitiated. ie: People who've never watched the sport before aren't going to switch on GOLTV because they won't have subscribed to it. It would be even better to have some on the CBC.

Secondly, get the matches on GOLTV so the Eurosnobs and South Americans realise that there is a national team in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by theaub

Is GOL TV an international broadcast thing? I always thought there was GOL TV Canada, and GOL TV wherever.

You are right, on my dish at home I have the "Gol TV Wherever" and it is in Spanish (most of the time)

I bought Gol TV over a year ago for German Bundesliga. When you buy it you get the English channel and theres a spanish language channel as well. Generally they are playing the exact same matches at the exact same times, with the difference of course being the language of the broadcast. I think this is specifically because Gol TV shows Uruguayan, Peruvian, Columbian, and other Central/Southern american leagues which would have a majority spanish speaking audience. It's extremely rare that the two channels are ever showing anything different.

Here's the Gol TV press release -- Nothing as dramatic as taking over matches from RSN.

"PRESS RELEASE Christine Sinclair and Jim Brennan Headline GolTV's Future Footballers Program

GolTV announced today a partnership with Canadian women's national team captain and Vancouver Whitecaps FC striker Christine Sinclair and Toronto FC captain and Canadian men's national team defender Jim Brennan to headline the channel's new Future Footballers community program and marketing initiatives. As GolTV ambassadors, Sinclair and Brennan will lead GolTV's new Future Footballers community program. Scheduled to debut in the fall of 2008, GolTV's Future Footballers program provides Canada's youth soccer players with an opportunity to receive hands-on instruction from Sinclair, Brennan as well as former Canadian men's national team player and coach, and current GolTV analyst, Paul James."

Archived