• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if you're all familiar with the background...

Lenarduzzi was commentating during a TFC match on CBC a month or so ago, and was whinging like an old lady about the TFC supporters' streamers. That was exactly why streamers came out when Vancouver-Montreal was televised on the CBC a couple of weeks ago, and why TFC probably used more streamers when Vancouver visited than in any of their previous matches.

Streamers honestly aren't my cup of tea either, but I don't take kindly to ageing soccer has-beens telling us supporters what is or isn't appropriate supporter behaviour. If that's how Lenarduzzi wants to run a football club, he can go join the Hartrells in the PDL.

Add the recent ban on tossing beer cups in the Southside at Swangard (which suddenly ended a tradition that goes back many years), and perhaps you can see why so many Vancouverites have been entertaining the notion of streamers recently.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Lenarduzzi was commentating during a TFC match on CBC a month or so ago, and was whinging like an old lady about the TFC supporters' streamers. That was exactly why streamers came out when Vancouver-Montreal was televised on the CBC a couple of weeks ago, and why TFC probably used more streamers when Vancouver visited than in any of their previous matches.

Nope. the reason you saw fewer streamers in the game at BMO field prior to the Vancouver game is because the league clamped down as of approximately three weeks ago. As a result all ticket holders received an email stating that anyone caught throwing a streamer would be kicked out. Presumably that edict doesn't apply to V-Cup matches.

Thats why if you listen closely now ( after streamers are thrown ) you will heard the chant " he didn't get the email" or " I didn't get the email....I didn't get the email"

I was the one who brought the streamers to the last caps match. B&W sums it up pretty well. The Caps have put a ban on the south side cup toss, and have threatened to kick us out for it. So in response I decided to bring streamers to the match because of Lenarduzzi's comments against them. If I get a chance I will bring far more to the next game.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

I was the one who brought the streamers to the last caps match. B&W sums it up pretty well. The Caps have put a ban on the south side cup toss, and have threatened to kick us out for it. So in response I decided to bring streamers to the match because of Lenarduzzi's comments against them. If I get a chance I will bring far more to the next game.

I went streamer shopping today and can't find the bulk pack you brought last game. Where'd you get those?

Since you know well in advance of the game that the club president disapproves of streamers I presume then there will be no complaints posted here if you are ejected from the stadium for throwing streamers? You know in advance the risk you are taking.

There has been no talk about being ejected for throwing streamers. We have been warned about beer cups though, that's how this started in the first place. If I were to be ejected for it though so be it. I'll just show up at the next game with a "I got tossed out for Throwing Streamers" T-shirt

I don't care either way frankly and I have seen far worse on T-Shirts than has been proposed here but I trust if you are ejected or refused admission you won't come here and complain afterwards for throwing streamers or wearing T-Shirts with slogans the organisation doesn't like.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

And if you consider it rubbish why do you buy tickets to watch it? ;)

Because we're supporters through thick and thin. When they play like champs and when they play like rubbish. We spend our money on travel,banners,and flags and tickets and we're not hurting a soul. We don't sit on our hands and we actually take an interest in the team and their results. It's all quite tame in comparison to many clubs supporters around the world.

I wouldn't expect you to understand.

So based on what you have posted here you're anticipating the game on Thursday and subsequent ones being rubbish, but you'll buy tickets anyway. Seems like self flagellation but if you really think I don't understand have a go at explaining it.

Can someone pick me up $20 in streamers please? I will be flying in just in time for kick off and won't get to a dollar store.

And Richard, I wouldn't say that I expect the game to be rubbish, and maybe my ego is out of control but I think the southsiders add to the game experience had by all. Who do streamers really hurt? Are the soccer moms going to be turned off because of the streamers? how about even decreasing corporate clients? What is the harm? were is the foul? Lenarduzzi might claim that its bad for the game, but if he was a purist they wouldn't play music during the match, or throw t-shirts into the crowd, or have unrelated facepainting at the match.

I dislike music during the game too but it has no physical impact on the game. Streamers on the other hand interfere with the players. As I said previously, the club president has made his preference known so if folks get tossed from the stadium for throwing streamers don't whine and complain afterwards. Also, behaving in a deliberately provocative manner solely to get up the noses of those in authority is just juvenile.

Archived