Canada might play El Salvador

JesseDart

Tell them that it has to be in Texas or further east if the game is after August 6. A city with humidity (like Toronto & Montreal & Chiapas), in the Central or Eastern time zone (no three hour jet lag, please!), with a limited number of Mara Salvatrucha resident, would be nice.

I'll take the game...but it'd be nice to negotiate favourable terms. Nothing about El Salvador, in Calfornia, close to Game 1, is favourable for Canada.

How many Canadian players would be available for a friendly at the end of the July, early August, anyways? Won't they all be in Denmark by then? [:0]

Texas? You're kidding right? I resent the blanket statement of all Salvadorians belonging to MS-13. Texas would have probably the same number of Salvadorian supporters as any other city in a State sharing a border with Mexico. Anyway, it's not like Canada wouldn't be used to it by now. What home advantage do we have? Artificial turf, jet lag, cold, 2 over the last year (10 plus) games in Canada etc. these things affect our players as much as it affects them. Better they get used to playing in hostile environments.

My apologies for any offensive statements. Not all Americans of Salvador descent, nor all Salvadorians, are in any way associated with MS-13. Most Salvadorians are negatively impacted by that group. Having said that, (southern) California is home to MS-13 associates who can, when so inclined, negatively affect events involving the Latino community.

As for Texas, it's a whole lot more practical than a game in California for the reasons I stated. The idea of playing a difficult away friendly less than two weeks before a critical qualifier doesn't add up to me. If you want to battle-test the team, do it in the months preceding qualifying. Oh...it seems we already have based on your comments. No need to do it again, IMHO.

But a game even closer to Toronto, even more on the East Coast, would be even better. Or...if you can organize it for the end of July, then location becomes less of an issue.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Hey, if we can't beat *El Salvador* in California, we're not qualifying for the Hex, much less the World Cup. It's good prep for Honduras and Mexico, bring 'em on I say.

I agree completely. Heck, I wouldnt mind us playing the States even as long as its not too close (ie less than a week) to the first qualifier.

I was just looking through the fixtures and results on fifa.com and it doesn't look like the MNT played any recognized friendlies prior to the Third Round in 2004... am I missing something here or after beating Bermuda in June 04 no matches were played at all until 2-0 loss to Guatemela in August 04?

1 friendly would be great since we have no official FIFA dates until the game in August against Jamaica.

Would be nice.

MS-13 were trying to get a foothold in TO but looks like they've been kept away for now atleast. Ship their ass back/deport them! Don't need that crap here and I say that as someone w/ Hispanic/El Salvadorean parents.

I have no "pull" to that country and I'm glad w/ that crap going on.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

I agree completely. Heck, I wouldnt mind us playing the States even as long as its not too close (ie less than a week) to the first qualifier.

I thought we should leave the americans till a official match but thats not a bad idea still, if we could possibly beat the americans it'd be a huge moral boast going into qualifiers, and might inspire more confident play against the americans in the future.

I'm a pretty happy man if this game happens but I don't see how it would be possible to obtain releases for our players. Flying them from Europe for one game, I'm not sure many clubs will accept that (and some players might refuse if they are fighting for a spot with their clubs).

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

Ching gao. Tu no sabes nada acerca de algo. Que ignorancia.

He was probably trying to make a joke, but came off as ignorant.

That said, CanadianTraveller no habla para todos nosotros (or something like that, i probably just butchered it) ;)

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

He was probably trying to make a joke, but came off as ignorant.

That said, CanadianTraveller no habla para todos nosotros (or something like that, i probably just butchered it) ;)

de que mierda estan hablando

Guest Jeffery S.

I think we actually need another prep game, one more would be great, one more to get it all together and focus once again and forget how badly we played beating SVG that last game. A full dress rehearsal if possible. Only we have no FIFA dates left, so we won't have a full squad.

I don't know. If the match was late July, sure the players would be in preseason training, but why wouldn't their respective club managers let them get away for an international match? It would be good for their fitness, one would think. I guess it's a long plane ride, but you often see clubs travelling about the globe at that time of year anyway.

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

I thought that there were no FIFA match dates between the second round and the semi final round?

You are correct ,it is no FIFA match dates before August 20. Teams with few European based players like El Salvador can play friendlies in July and August.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think we actually need another prep game, one more would be great, one more to get it all together and focus once again and forget how badly we played beating SVG that last game. A full dress rehearsal if possible. Only we have no FIFA dates left, so we won't have a full squad.

Absolutely.

T&T are lining up matches and they are in the same boat as us. They play Guyana on Tuesday.

Get as many first-teamers as possible and then blood the depth pool. We had some promising Olympic players, give them a crack.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Also players like Ornoch, Peters, Begovic, Ledgerwood and Johnson could probably be released from their euro clubs and given a look

Call Jakovic. If nothing else, it shows him we are serious about him.

Stamatopolous or Lars could both use a game and either one would probably love to play (assuming they were released).

Archived