Rumour - DeRo to FC Kobenhavn

jpg75

Michele, a poster from BS sent me a PM that he'd received info. that FCK are after DeRo. The club has come to financial terms with him and are now negotiating with MLS for a transfer fee.

Thoughts on this possible move?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well after all the MLS vs Danish Super-Liga discussion, this should be an interesting thread.

I would see it as a step up if they were able to achieve some success in the UEFA Cup.

I had always hoped he could catch on with a real European heavy-weight though.

From a payday point of view he should be able to cash in. I think he's in the 2nd year of a 4 year deal paying him $350K. With FCK i could see him getting 500K Euros (or more) on a 3 or 4 year deal, that's about double the pay.

As long as he has a spot in the starting XI i think it's a decent move. I'd prefer he go to a bigger league (ie. Germany, or Top 6-10 league like Portugal, Holland, Russia), but then again there are no guarantees of PT if he did. And if the deal falls through there are worse places to be stuck then with the Houston Dynamo.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Not a good move from a Canadian WCQ perspective. It will mean more travel for DeRo and an extended season, equalling a (likely) more tired De Ro for the upcoming games that matter.

It will have no impact for the group stage since DeRo would've had continue his season with Houston anyway (assuming he's moving to FCK). But yes, it's more travel.

If it happens I would feel like it's a good move for DeRo.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Not a good move from a Canadian WCQ perspective. It will mean more travel for DeRo and an extended season, equalling a (likely) more tired De Ro for the upcoming games that matter.

Furthermore, another advantage of being here is that he would be in mid season form when the bulk of WCQ matches are played. More and more we are noticing this aspect as gaining more importance in determining success and failure in WCQ. Consider that we won the Gold cups when it was played in January using overseas players whereas our fortunes changed slightly when the event was moved to the summer months. The US seems to have improved GC was moved to the summer. Similarly this came up recently in the Euros when explaining the strong performances by Russia.

Unless I am mistaken, in the last WCQ round, Guatemala had a lot domestic based players who where also in the mid season with their clubs and look at what that did for them.

Four years ago, I would thought this a good move for the program but I am not crazy about this move right now a this stage of his career.

Whether or not this is the absolute best move for the NT, it definitely would be a good move personally for De Ro. Assuming he would play, he'll earn more money, and get a chance at European competition. It can't hurt to develop chemistry with Atiba, either.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Furthermore, another advantage of being here is that he would be in mid season form when the bulk of WCQ matches are played. More and more we are noticing this aspect as gaining more importance in determining success and failure in WCQ. Just look at how well we did in the Gold cups when they were played in January when using overseas players versus what happened to our fortunes when the event was moved to the summer months. The US seems to have improved GC was moved to the summer. Similarly this came up recently in the Euros when explaining the strong performances by Russia.

Unless I am mistaken, in the last WCQ round, Guatemala had a lot domestic based players who where also in the mid season with their clubs and look at what that did for them.

Four years ago, I would thought this a good move for the program but I am not crazy about this move right now a this stage of his career.

We're speaking of one player here who regardless of where FCK will be in it's season will be in mid-season himself after playing for Houston.

We can analize 2004 as much as we want but we have to remember that our current team looks stronger on paper than the one that we had back then. Also, all our players will be either in mid-season or in the early stage of their season in decent europeans leagues. They should be in form.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

It will have no impact for the group stage since DeRo would've had continue his season with Houston anyway (assuming he's moving to FCK). But yes, it's more travel.

If it happens I would feel like it's a good move for DeRo.

Actually, not to put the carriage ahead of the horse, but I was thinking about next summer. In the event that we are playing in the Hex.

The flight from Houston to Toronto is 4 hours. Copenhagen to Toronto is six, I believe. Maybe a bit more jet lag for the latter, but I don't think it's a big deal. I'd rather see what he can do on a relatively large European stage. And FCK might be better off playing UEFA Cup anyway, as it's a competition they could win -in theory. Having DeRo playing with some great players will hopefully give him an opportunity to show Europe what he can do.

It's better for him to find himself with a club like FCK than getting to a bigger club in a bigger league and finding a place on the bench if things aren't working for him. He has a better chance to have a bigger impact with FCK.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Need I remind people here ( who claim that this move will mean a bigger stage for Dero) that FC Copenhagen did not qualify for champions league this year. And as far as I can tell maybe not even UEFA cup.

Copenhagen are in the UEFA Cup:

http://canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16248

Their first opponent is the formidable Cliftonville of Northern Ireland. [:P]

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Copenhagen are in the UEFA Cup:

http://canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16248

Their first opponent is the formidable Cliftonville of Northern Ireland. [:P]

Yeah, I just saw that. FCK finished third in their league and hence get one of the three UEFA Cup spots. Yeah Cliftonville should be a pretty big stage as will the next matches until they are eliminated [:P]

The more I think about it, I dont believe this story and suspect that its a hoax. Dero is better than that and would hope that any Canadian supporter believes the same.

This would be an excellent move for DeRo. the Danish league is more or less equal to MLS, but FCK is bigger and better than any MLS team, easy.

again, good on the boys for looking out for eachother and networking for eachother in Europe.

Archived