Vancouver Waterfront Stadium will not be built

I can't see Kerfoot/Whitecaps being interested in investing any money in capital improvements at BC Place and I doubt the province would care to increase the budget by the required amount for a short term, temporary tenant. There has been no mention anywhere of a palleted natural grass system which would be desirable only for soccer really and would add substantially to initial capital and ongoing operating costs. Why would they when the Whitecaps have made it abundantly clear they are not looking to be permanent tenants and the gridiron folks are quite happy to perform on FieldTurf?

Thanks for your response, Bill. (By the way, you and I know each other, from way back in your baseball umpiring days. I still contend that that 3-2 curve ball was at least six inches outside! Just kidding!) Actually, you and I have a mutual friend, whose initials are SE and who currently lives in Prague. Please don't divulge my identity on this forum as my source knows a lot about the inner functioning of the CSA and he's told me a lot about the organization. I'd like to keep providing the occasional tidbit to this forum's members without fear of retribution (against him). I'll be in Vancouver in a few weeks and I'll look you up.

As for the topic at hand, this is interesting

quote:I just chatted with someone at arms length of the Port . The Saudis did make an offer to buy the Port not so long ago, but were turned down.

The biggest issue is not money, but NATIONAL SECURITY.

It's interesting that the vast majority of US ports are privately owned as I can't think of another country that is more reflexively security conscious (well, maybe Israel--for good reason) than the US.

I, personally, will be thrilled once this damned thing is built.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I just chatted with someone at arms length of the Port . The Saudis did make an offer to buy the Port not so long ago, but were turned down.

The biggest issue is not money, but NATIONAL SECURITY.

National security or the threat to billions in illegal activity that takes place.

If I was in charge, I know who I would be more afraid of.

Archived