BC Place

Jason

I don't remember seeing this mentioned here, so I thought I'd ask. During the Mtl/Van match on TV recently, I believe Jason DeVos made a comment that the 'Caps are moving to BC Place very soon. I know there is talk of this possibly happening (especially if the MLS is in play) but his statement seemed a lot more definite. Is this move truly imminent, such as next year (even if they are still in USL-1) or is it just rumour?

Jason

The BC government is spending untold millions to ugrade BC Place including replacing the inflated roof with a retractable roof. The Whitecaps were invited to participate in the planning process to ensure the revamped BC Place meets soccer requirements as best as possible. It is expected the work will be completed by 2011. Vancouver Whitecaps FC have announced their intention to pursue a lease agreement in a renovated BC Place Stadium.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/stadium/bcplace/

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Vancouver has different scales of timelines than the rest of the country.

"Very soon" means in 2.5 seasons?

Well, when you look at how long the process to build a privately-funded stadium takes, it all makes sense.

Kerfoot was approached by Larry Campbell in 2003. He bought the waterfront land in 2005. He's negotiating a lease at BC Place from 2011 - 2016.

So I guess "soon" in Vancouver ranges anywhere from 11 to 13 years.

They'll eventually have a reason to revert back to using the 86ers brand and logo... because that's how old we'll be before this effing thing built.

At first, I was pretty bummed about the BC Place lease persuit...because the Waterfront Stadium will be one of the great stadiums in the world. But, seeing Seattle with 14,000 seasons tickets and another 3,000 deposits at Qwest field, which has more seats than BC Place, and NO retractable roof, makes me think it'll be pretty darn good for the MLS Whitecaps.

They'll need a bigger stadium for certain games. And in the meantime, if they can't get their own stadium built by 2016...then I'm moving!

Guest speedmonk42
quote:

They'll need a bigger stadium for certain games. And in the meantime, if they can't get their own stadium built by 2016...then I'm moving!

Way ahead of you.

Archived