Ref's Who are They... Who decides

Obviously the ref's will be hated by one side or even both sometimes. But anyhow does anybody know so far if the Ref's were from USL or MLS? Same with linesmen? How is it decided? If Impact plays Vancouver all USL ref's and when a side plays TFC then MLS Ref's? Anywhere where we can check out info in their regards? Any Ref will be actually at the CONCACF Champions League games?

quote:Originally posted by orletafc

Obviously the ref's will be hated by one side or even both sometimes. But anyhow does anybody know so far if the Ref's were from USL or MLS? Same with linesmen? How is it decided? If Impact plays Vancouver all USL ref's and when a side plays TFC then MLS Ref's? Anywhere where we can check out info in their regards? Any Ref will be actually at the CONCACF Champions League games?

Proper pratice is for the game referees to be announced ahead of the game, along with there names in the game summarys. I am not sure if the MLS/USL do the actual appointment or if the CSA who is responsible actually makes the appointments from a list ...from the USL/MLS. I suspect its the later.

But yes referee names should be listed, and where they are from, i.e. Canada..US etc. for club and National games.

I don't think the ref was not ready for the intensity of the game. It reminded me of the old Whitecaps vs Cosmos matches that had fist fights break out.

I think the next game they will watch and call things much tighter to try and keep it under control.

Ok let me rephrase the Question since in Poland for example the PZPN(equivalent of CSA) has different kind of Ref's Qualifications. Some can only do 2div(eg. USL) games other 1div(MLS) while ohter 1Div and Intl FIFA games. The Ref's sanctioned my the CSA are they gd for Div1 and FIFA Intl of Div2. Any website(eg. concacaf) where I can find info on Ref's that took part in the V-cup so far?

Can someone list the Ref's names that took part so far in all the games?

And I agree the Ref wasn't ready for the intensity of the game. Wonder how short the leash will be at Swangard. I'm gonna take the skytrain and stockup on beer b4 the end of the game.....

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

I don't think the ref was not ready for the intensity of the game. It reminded me of the old Whitecaps vs Cosmos matches that had fist fights break out.

I think the next game they will watch and call things much tighter to try and keep it under control.

Sorry Murph, you double negatived yourself there I think. Are you saying you think he was not ready for the intensity?

cheers

db

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I saw Mauricio Navarro from Vancouver refereeing the Chivas-New York game on Saturday night.

He used to do a lot of Whitecaps games. Steve Dipiero, who did the Whitecaps-TFC game, is a FIFA ref, and can do pretty much any game in North America.

Navarro was the fourth official lecturing Carver like a school master to a kindergarten pupil at that match a month or so back at BMO. There was lots of discussion about it at the time. Navarro was being a pompous tw-t. Use whatever vowel you chose.

He is scheduled to do the West Ham v MLS All-Stars on the 24th.

The CSA recently changed the assessment procedure of referees, presumably for the better. I have not seen the new forms and manuals. Being a Fifa referee doesn't mean you can do any game. You are given games in progressing order of "difficulty" and if you do well, you keep getting higher games. I think Mr. Dipiero just took a step backwards.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Sorry Murph, you double negatived yourself there I think. Are you saying you think he was not ready for the intensity?

cheers

db

Doh! He obviously (to me anyway) was NOT ready for the intensity level some of the players brought.

• 6 months later...

As it's a CONCACAF competition, and whether CONCACAF follows the same type of ref assigning UEFA does, you can pretty much guarantee the ref and linesmen to NOT be from either Canada or Mexico. I'd assume that a ref heralding from any other CONCACAF nation, who has the proper accreditation, would be eligible to ref the match.

the referees and ARs for the QF matchs will all be selected by the concacaf referees committee. No official should be from canada although in past concacaf champions league games involving American and Mexican teams, it has been seen where the ARs have been from those nations but the middle referee has been from a neutral nation. In past years, Canada has had both its FIFA Referees and ARs highly involved with the concacaf competitions and even in the superliga (had officials do the final). Concacaf's website should have the referee apppointments on their website about two weeks prior to the matches. As for MLS matches, the CSA provides a list of referees and ARs to MLS who then have these officials do their fitness testing and attend a conference prior to the season but the appointments for matches come from MLS. Normally for Canadian officials you need to be a FIFA match official to be doing MLS games but occasionally some Canadian national referees make the list too (for example amato deluca (ar) who came off the fifa list due to age requirements still did MLS games). USL games in canada generally are done by either Canadian FIFA officials or Canadian National Refs and ARs although occasionally due to scheduling in the past, nominated nationals or class 1 officials have either been ARs or the fourth official. Voyageur cup games are only done by Canadian Officials whether it be national or FIFA ranked...Hope this helps.

Archived