Huckerby and Di@ov

peachgrinder

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Dickov

EDIT: Umm, why the self-filtering? It's his name.

Most boards I have posted on do it automatically if you have certain letters together.

Just being proactive, though it is apparently not necessary here.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Could someone explain the whole "discovery rights" system?

Taken ( copy and paste) from MLS rules page:

DISCOVERY SIGNINGS

Each team has the opportunity to make six (6) discovery signings per season. The last day for discovery player signings is September 15, 2008 - coinciding with the roster freeze date and trade deadline. The six Discovery signings can be used to fill senior roster spots only. If multiple teams claim the same player using a Discovery, the team that filed the claim first will have first rights to the player. Discovery claims expire following each season. If a player was unable to come to terms during the season, the team that first filed the discovery retains the right of first refusal in the event the player is signed.

quote:Originally posted by peachgrinder

Most boards I have posted on do it automatically if you have certain letters together.

Just being proactive, though it is apparently not necessary here.

Let's hope we don't try to sign Dan ****tu.

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

"It looks like Darren Huckerby is going to sign with San Jose. He'll be watching their game this weekend. The artificial surface at BMO Field is believed to be a factor in his decision."

Link: http://www.thescore.ca/blogs/footy/index.asp?name=footy/2008/07/tfc_news_lombar.html

That also seems to confirm the rumours that Lombardo has left TFC. He wasn't anywhere to be seen today for the 2nd stringers against Pachuca in the 1-1 draw.

I hope he finds a new club and gets some playing time, gets his confidence back. He wasn't getting any playing time this year & he needed that to develop his game. Still annoyed by this news however.

Huckerby looks like he's officially an Earthquake:

Report: Earthquakes acquire Huckerby

TORONTO (TICKER) —The San Jose Earthquakes have acquired Darren Huckerby, according to a report posted Friday on The Globe and Mail’s web site.

Huckerby, who played for Norwich City of the English Premier League in 2007, also has reached a contract agreement with the Earthquakes and will begin playing after the MLS transfer period opens on Tuesday, according to the report. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Toronto FC had the first opportunity to sign Huckerby if he decided to move to MLS after the team put in a discovery claim last winter. As a result, Toronto is expected to receive allocation money and an international roster spot from San Jose in return for Huckerby, according to the newspaper.

Huckerby, who scored 34 goals in 162 games and was a fan favorite with Norwich City, expressed concern about playing on the artificial turf at BMO Field - Toronto’s home stadium. The report also stated that his injury history may have resulted in Toronto’s reluctance to sign the 32-year-old Huckerby.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news?slug=txearthquakeshuckerby&prov=st&type=lgns

As a result, Toronto is expected to receive allocation money and an international roster spot from San Jose in return for Huckerby

Good work Mo, combined with the other Int'l spot you picked up from the Phelan deal now you don't have to get off your ass and find more Canadians to play for our team next year :(

I think Dickov is the better player. He'll be a great addition, hard worker and the perfect partner for Dichio. Dichio and Dickov...that'll be fun!

As for the contstant whining for more Canadian players...I couldn't disagree more. You're not going to win with Canadians. And if you DID have 5-6 CDN Internationals, what would happen during WCQ and Gold Cup play? You'd lose half your roster. I'd much rather see 2-3 quality Canadians on TFC, and Vancouver-Montreal eventually, than have them all on the same team.

Archived