Julian and Jonathan reunited at the Robbie

john tv

I'd have JDG2 back in a heartbeat too.

I wish he chose Canada but I can't hate him for choosing the Dutch.

But I think this is a ridiculous discussion. He'll be part of the Dutch plans over the next 4-5 years.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, sometimes I wonder if us winning the Gold Cup last year could've changed his outlook. In that CBC interview last year he seemed resigned to the fact that choosing Canada meant never making the world cup. Beating the Yanks and Mexicans and hoisting a trophy could've at least given him an open mind about it.

I guess to tie this all back together and make it all relevant, and I think some people may have already got at this a bit, but why does he come back here and do these charity events? I mean if he is as Dutch as he claims to be isn't there things he could be doing over there in his off-time.

Things like this prove that to him it is all about getting to the game on another stage. Namely winning the World Cup. I am sure he knows that if he comes to Canada we will make it to the World Cup, maybe get out of our group, but win it, that's a dream.

He is all about the fame and glory here, but you know, I have talk to a few fans from the Netherlands, and it seems as though, not that they would deny him a spot on their National team if he truly deserved, but they know the situation, they know about Hargreaves, they actually say its bad that he chose to play for them, they wanted him to play for us. To me, the way it seems, is that he is the only one who wants to play for the Dutch. He says he has the support of his family, but you can tell when Julian was interviewed about it he wanted him to play for Canada but he knew months, maybe years ago that the choice was made. The only thing was he good enough, but that jury is still out, the Dutch system can spit a talent out of nowhere, JDG2 has to realize this, it's by no means a done deal.

Anyway, to sum it up, as someone said, playing for a national country shouldn't be about fame, glory and money. Those are nice if they come with it, but number one should be the pride you get from putting on that jersey and representing something you believe in. So JDG2, if you believe in doing charity events here, saying you want to play for TFC down the road, then why the hell do you want to play for the Dutch? Just tell us the truth man.

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

You know what? F*** JDG2! Why should DM call JDG2 and try to get him to play for us? Playing for your country is suppose to be greatest honour for a footballer. Footballers play football for their country for pride of reppin' your fellow countrymen/women not for money or your country's FA. If DM decides to call him, I hope tells him to f*** himself instead of begging him to play for us. If for some odd reason JDG2 changes his mind, do you think it will be fair to cut someone from our current squad to make room for a guy who rejected playing for us in the first place? JDG2 had his chance and decided to play for the dutch instead of Canada because he takes more pride (or at least claims to do so) of being dutch than being Canadian (if he has any pride of being Canadian in the first place).

This Post Wins.

i have to say that i like the fact that JDG2 in spite of choosing holland still shows his face in Canada at TFC matches with his brother, a charity games like this one. The kid could have just came home and hidden with his mates. But he didn't. He seems to want to give something back (even if so small to Canada). He went to Holland at 12, worked his way up through the youth sides, and then finally made his decision 8 years later at 20 to play for them. But he still comes back here and puts something back.

Of course I wanted him to play for Canada as well. And hopefully, he changes his mind. But i think its very unlikley. But if you compare this to Hargreaves who was developed as a player by Canada and (mostly) Germany. Never lived in England. Said he wanted to represent Canada, then jumped at teh first chance....and does not from what i understand put anything back into the game here.....its a big difference.

heh, I can only imagine our midfield with Jono and Hargreves in it. it's a scary thought: we'd definitely have the best midfield in CONCACAF by a wide margin, and we'd be on par with some of the best midfields in the world.

<center>Jono - de Rosario</center>

<center>Hargreaves - Juilian</center>

Feyenoord, Houston, Man U and Deportivo ... yeah, that's okay ; )

plus you's have guys like Hutchinson, Radz and Nakajimi-Farran coming off the bench .... yay for depth

but meh - we'll still qualify without the scum. and how sweet it would be if neither Holland nor England qualify.

I agree with An Observer (and maybe more than one observer...I don't know what the others are thinking).

F*** Jonathan D.? Really? Why? He's a kid who had to make a very hard decision for which there is no right answer. He moved to Holland when he was 12 (nearly half his young life time ago) and is now a Dutch citizen. If he feels Dutch enough to play for Holland let him. Even if it's for purely selfish reasons (better chance of making the WC etc.) that's his right cos...it's him doing it!

We don't know how he feels about Holland and can't claim to. My family left Scotland as long as 200 years ago and I still feel Scottish even though I've never lived there so if he feels a great attachment to the land he's lived in since he was a boy doesn't that make sense?

And aren't we hypocritical for criticising an immigrant for playing for his adopted country? Both as a nation of immigrants (20% of us were born in another country) and especially as a nation that has benefited hugely from immigrant footballers? In 86 Lettieri, Samuel, Norman, James, Vrablic, and Valentine played for us - all immigrants, several of whom didn't even grow up here (and there were probably others, those are the only ones listed in my Panini Mexico 86 sticker book). And there have been many others over the years. Are you telling them to F*** off? Are you telling Radzinski to F*** off?

I'd love for Jonathan D to play for Canada but if doesn't he's still Canadian. He's just a kid and let's be honest the only reason people are pissed off is because he's that good and we'd love him to play for us. Well he's not going. Way it goes.

Oh and PS I'm sure his older brother wouldn't be thrilled to know we're all slagging his kid brother...

This was an amazing evening and some of the players not mentioned are Daniel Boucher the boxer and Paul Stalteri. The announcer was Gerry Dobson.I even at times thought that the soccer displayed was better than the afternoon game. I guess no one was tackling and it really flowed just great. There is no question that Jonathan and Julian are indeed the masters of that game and such a pleasure to see them having so much fun together. Julian as well as Jonathan have great memories of the Robbie and their contribution to the causes is just remarkable and I am sure very much apprecited by the spectators. It was a real treat.

Bobby was in his glory and it is very obvious that he is extremely proud of his two boys.

We must do this again next year but we need more media exposure he said.

Thanks Bobby this was beyond amazing.

Did you see the picture in the Star I asked ,no he had not,well some great picture I thought.These guys are having great fun.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

This was an amazing evening and some of the players not mentioned are Daniel Boucher the boxer and Paul Stalteri. The announcer was Gerry Dobson.I even at times thought that the soccer displayed was better than the afternoon game. I guess no one was tackling and it really flowed just great. There is no question that Jonathan and Julian are indeed the masters of that game and such a pleasure to see them having so much fun together. Julian as well as Jonathan have great memories of the Robbie and their contribution to the causes is just remarkable and I am sure very much apprecited by the spectators. It was a real treat.

Bobby was in his glory and it is very obvious that he is extremely proud of his two boys.

We must do this again next year but we need more media exposure he said.

Thanks Bobby this was beyond amazing.

Did you see the picture in the Star I asked ,no he had not,well some great picture I thought.These guys are having great fun.

Thanks John.

Note that "Diesel" is Paul Stalteri...so he was named ;)

Would love Jonathon to play for us but really if its not an obvious choice to do so then I say forget him and move on.

I won't lie though it would be amazing if our Midfield had two JdG's, Atiba the hutch and Whoregraves

We'd be laughing into the WC

I was pissed off when JDG2 first announced his choice and trashed him , but I'd rather people here weren't venomous towards him because he's family with one of our players. The Canadian soccer scene is so small that kind of makes him our family too. We need to be unified going into qualifiers so let's not give Julian any upsetting stuff to read. Cheesy I know, but just my 2 cents.

Great event!as alot of fun as well! The game was semi competitive, and alot ofood players showed up! I got the chance to play alongside Jonathan ang Jules, and they definetly can play! Jono is going to be awesome in his mid twenties because he is already really good. Atiba Hutchinson is so good it's scary, I was very impressed with their level of play. You guys should've been there, it was fantastic. BTW, stop pissin on Jono, he's agood kid, and his decision was very difficult.

quote:Originally posted by rick titus

Great event!as alot of fun as well! The game was semi competitive, and alot ofood players showed up! I got the chance to play alongside Jonathan ang Jules, and they definetly can play! Jono is going to be awesome in his mid twenties because he is already really good. Atiba Hutchinson is so good it's scary, I was very impressed with their level of play. You guys should've been there, it was fantastic. BTW, stop pissin on Jono, he's agood kid, and his decision was very difficult.

Rick good to hear that it went well. I also agree with you that all the Jono bashing is terrible. Not only are they brothers, but they are also best freinds so all this Jono bashing probably doesn't go down well with Julian. Anyway, in the long run, if Jono does well in Holland, am sure the effects would be positive. It could get the CSA to do whatever is necessary to hang on to our great talents. Anyway, I look forward to the next round of qualifiers. I Have a good feeling that I will be buying a ticket for SA 2010.

Oh my god my spelling was just absolute ****e wasn't it? LOL! Sorry man, it's past my bedtime!!! Alot of food players!Wow! as alot of fun??? Was alot of fun!Wow! Jonathan ang Jules... Holy ****e!!! I'm ready fellas let it fly!!!

Hey Rick, I didn't realize you were on the pitch. If I knew, I would have come to say hello after the game. What number did you wear?

and I agree, Atiba looked really good out there.

I'm glad we have video of Jono saying he won't play for Canada now, so everyone with their conspiracy theories can just let it go.

Just an extra point. Jono playing for the Dutch does NOTHING to advance Canadian soccer or change the CSA. He made a decision like every other top prospect in Europe...play for the biggest soccer country possible. Look at the big national teams in Europe and they are littered with guys from other countries. As long as kids are going abroad we will lose players not matter how far Canada advances as a soccer nation. Its a part of international soccer that makes me sick. There will never be a day when an english announcer will not have to say a ---- born ----- international (fill in any two countries). He did the absolute best thing for his career and worst for his country and to be honest it was the right decision. But I won't praise him or lay off him for one minute being a Canadian supporter. Looking at the transfer fees guys get after the Euros or the world cup, you can see why its a good career move.

Senna - one of the best players on Spain is brazilian

Podolski - eliminates Poland while Klose watches

As a Canadian fan, it pisses me off so many are just used to taking it and letting this guy off the hook. This is best country in the world and deserves the best. He doesn't want to put on our jersey...fine. But don't expect me to buy that he's still a representative of Canada because he comes back in the summer. If he's brother wasn't who he is, Jono would be incognito and we all know it. There is no giving back here. The deal is done. Final thoughts by a pissed off who is unappologetic about his love for his country.

As difficult a decision it was for him it was equally emotional for many Canada fans... this is the nature of being a fan and why sports people lead the privileged lives they do. For me, anyone "pissing" on Jono are just wearing their heart on their sleeve and if he had chosen Canada they would have been among his biggest supporters. Again, this is the nature of being a fervent fan and one can really expect nothing less.

That being said I find it easier and easier to refrain from becoming too fanatic in today's professional sports environment with less and less loyalty to team or nation being displayed by athletes (this comment in not person or sport specific). However, there are players like Jules that give me a glimmer a of hope.

Archived