Travelling for the August 20th match!

Sébastien

Hello,

Seeing as probably many people a little bit from around everywhere will probably try to get to the August 20th match (which all indications seem to be pointing to Toronto), I was thinking that maybe we could start a thread and maybe get it sticked where people could discuss travelling options. It might help out some people and maybe some arrangements could be made for certain groups of people who could potentially travel together if they want to and arrange it to be so.

****I highly suggest everyone puts off booking anything until the venue, date and time are confirmed by the CSA****

So I will go first:

I will most probably be in Ottawa at that time, starting to move in for studying purposes. I'm not 100% certain that I will get to go watch the match live, however, if I do, I would probably be going up by train with a friend doing Ott-TO, and hoping there's a train coming back the same day. No overnight stay I should imagine, but how difficult can it be to go from the train station to BMO? I can't imagine it being too hard.

I'll likely be staying overnight in T.O. after the match and then will likely fly porter back to ottawa.

Once the official CSA announcement is made (not sure why it's taking so long), i'll try and see if we can get a group discount on either Porter or VIA.

quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

I'll likely be staying overnight in T.O. after the match and then will likely fly porter back to ottawa.

Once the official CSA announcement is made (not sure why it's taking so long), i'll try and see if we can get a group discount on either Porter or VIA.

Just taking a quick look at the websites for VIA and Porter (which I just learned existed, thanks!), VIA takes a hell lot longer (4 hours and 30 minutes) compared to Porter (an hour), which isn't surprising. The prices for VIA would be 191,10$ for a round trip (including taxes) and it would be 216,65$ for Porter (including taxes).

Little sidenote, wow those travel taxes add a lot to the trip! Holy smokes!

I might say screw it and simply drive it up if I have access to the good ol' family minivan, but if I end up going and can't do that, I think I'll pay the extra 25$-ish to fly over taking the train.

20.8.2008 Canada - Jamaica 19:30 Toronto, Ontario CAN

20.8.2008 Mexico - Honduras 20:00 Ciudad de Mexico, MEX

6.9.2008 Jamaica - Mexico 19:00 Kingston, JAM

6.9.2008 Canada - Honduras 20:00 Montreal, Quebec CAN

10.9.2008 Honduras - Jamaica TBD TBD, HON

10.9.2008 Mexico - Canada 20:00 Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas MEX

11.10.2008 Mexico - Jamaica 21:00 Puebla, MEX

11.10.2008 Honduras - Canada TBD TBD, HON

15.10.2008 Jamaica - Honduras 19:00 Kingston, JAM

15.10.2008 Canada - Mexico 19:00 Edmonton, Alberta CAN

19.11.2008 Jamaica - Canada TBD Kingston, JAM

19.11.2008 Honduras - Mexico TBD TBD, HON

it's at the very bottom

quote:Originally posted by Sébastien

Just taking a quick look at the websites for VIA and Porter (which I just learned existed, thanks!), VIA takes a hell lot longer (4 hours and 30 minutes) compared to Porter (an hour), which isn't surprising. The prices for VIA would be 191,10$ for a round trip (including taxes) and it would be 216,65$ for Porter (including taxes).

Little sidenote, wow those travel taxes add a lot to the trip! Holy smokes!

I might say screw it and simply drive it up if I have access to the good ol' family minivan, but if I end up going and can't do that, I think I'll pay the extra 25$-ish to fly over taking the train.

I'm pretty sure if you book early enough you can get VIA for $130 round-trip, taxes in. Although I love the train, Porter is so much faster and the service is A-1!!

quote:Originally posted by Sébastien

Get a group and rent one, that's pretty afordable if there is 6 or 7 person paying for it.

RENT A CAR! (or van)

The most inexpensive way to get around is by renting a car and splitting it!

For an example allow me to point to our recent trip to Montreal. Me and Pootz and two other fellows drove to Montreal from London(roughly 7 hours). The rental was $98. Gas was about $150. So we shelled out roughly $62 each for a return trip to Montreal. Between 6 or 7 people in a minivan it would be even cheaper!

quote:Originally posted by Tyson M

RENT A CAR! (or van)

The most inexpensive way to get around is by renting a car and splitting it!

For an example allow me to point to our recent trip to Montreal. Me and Pootz and two other fellows drove to Montreal from London(roughly 7 hours). The rental was $98. Gas was about $150. So we shelled out roughly $62 each for a return trip to Montreal. Between 6 or 7 people in a minivan it would be even cheaper!

We just did 7 people in a van trip to Montreal from Kitchener-Waterloo and it was around $62 dollars total times 7 people. The real kicker was we could not find a van with unlimited KMs and therefore we had to pay for every KM we drove above 200-300...so it wasn't much cheeper but if you could find an all inclusive van price...you could save some $$

Archived