Honduras in Montreal

jimstam

Greetings,

New to this site.. was at greeksoccer.com for a few years but have been following Canadian national team (only one for my $) since early 80's and attended every game here in Montreal since then when Canada plays (very few) + Canada/Mexico in Toronto in 1993 (Bunbury scores but damn Hugo Sanchez!).

There are many Central/Latin Americans here in Montreal, especially Salvadorans, Chileans, Peruvians and Hondurans. They will go out to suppot their team/region in droves.. must control tickets!

The filled up Olympic Stadium with many Chileans when they played here

And they ain't exactly the friendly/fun/cute to watch St.Vincent's u saw the other day.

Also, when Jamaica played here two years ago, trust me their some funny characters watching the game and I don't think they had regular day jobs. In Toronto can only imagine what it will be like.

Mexico in Edmonton makes snese, send them far away.

Wouldn't mind if they sent them to play in St.John's Newfoundland (remember in 1985 when their bus accidentally took them to St.John. New Brunswick?, HAHA!) even if it meant not being able to attend game.

That would control their numbers, be in East Coast for Europeans and be perfect weather. We should refurbish St.George's Park (where we clinched 1986 World Cup spot) and have Canadian crowds there.

Anyway,

Good luck to Team Canada for 2010!

quote:Originally posted by jimstam

We should refurbish St.George's Park (where we clinched 1986 World Cup spot) and have Canadian crowds there.

The name of the place is actually "King George V Park" and it was refurbished in 2006 with bleacher seating for 10,000 . However, now it has field turf and I am not 100% on the quality. I really think it is a big knock against it for getting a game.

But hey, I can tell you one thing, the crowd will probably be at least 95% pro-Canadian, you just won't get a crowd anywhere else like that.

quote:Originally posted by SoccerNewf

The name of the place is actually "King George V Park" and it was refurbished in 2006 with bleacher seating for 10,000 . However, now it has field turf and I am not 100% on the quality. I really think it is a big knock against it for getting a game.

But hey, I can tell you one thing, the crowd will probably be at least 95% pro-Canadian, you just won't get a crowd anywhere else like that.

Actually, the capacity is 6,000.

The 1.2 million dollar upgrade in 2006 also included a scoreboard, new clubhouse, and of course the fieldturf.

As for the fan support.......

Yes, a 95% pro canadian crowd is likley, thanks to our demographics, but that never translated into an amazing atmosphere at the Canada-China friendly in 2006. A section of about 30-50 Chinese outsang and outcheered over 5,000 "pro canadians".

The good news is.....

The capacity is only 6,000, so if we can get 1,000 hardcore supports to make a trip to the rock during a crucial World Cup Qualifier, it would be alot more effective than 1,000 hardcore supports behind the goal at BMO, or even Saputo.

I know alot of V's on this board have said they would come here if we were ever rewarded a WCQ. Mabye some U-Sector or Ultras would also make the trip, depending on the importance of the game.

That being said, right now Saputo is the best venue, but KGV is an interesting prospect, especially if they can do something about the fieldturf.

I have to agree. Everyone's talking about how important it is to control ticket in toronto against jamaica, and rightfully so. But latin americans are numerous in Montreal. The u-20 chile quaterfinal was shocking. We need to press hard here too to control tickets depending on support.

Not to put the cart before the horse, but is there anything being done to get some remote areas prepped in case we need a cold weather spot for the HEX?

Seems to me it would make sense to explore that.

I think back to halifax when they turned husky stadium into an 11,000 seater for the CFL exhibition game in under a week. seems feasible...

• 2 months later...

When I posted this a few months ago I wasn't kidding about the CA supporters and security issues

quote:Originally posted by jimstam

Greetings,

There are many Central/Latin Americans here in Montreal, especially Salvadorans, Chileans, Peruvians and Hondurans. They will go out to suppot their team/region in droves.. must control tickets!

The filled up Olympic Stadium with many Chileans when they played here

And they ain't exactly the friendly/fun/cute to watch St.Vincent's u saw the other day.

Security may be an issue..

Anyway,

Good luck to Team Canada for 2010!

Archived