What if... we won the 2010 world cup??

michaeltfc91

quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

Would there be a party on young street?

Would it be on the front page of the newspaper, or just a paragraph?

Would everyone get off work?

Would all 33,000,000 Canadians watch?

The final would be on a Sunday.. so no everyone would not get day off..yes it would be front page..all over the world, no Toronto would not have party on Younge Street the Danforth might have a lot more action.

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

If Canada wins the 2010 World Cup, peace will come to the Middle East, cancer will be cured, and oil will fall back to $30 a barrel.

Don't forget the rapture and the arrival of the first contact team of the Galactic Imperial Star Fleet. :)

Guest speedmonk42

The party would be huge.

It would be the highest TV ratings ever in the country by an order of magnitude.

And yeah, it would be on the front page.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

One million people watched the u-19 girls play for a world championship--on Sportsnet! I think it's safe to say that the TV audience would be pretty good.

And it sure would make it hard to get up for the next year's Gold Cup...

Different Audience, different market, different consumer, different passion. I still recall specifically someone telling me once " I hate soccer... but actually I dont mind womens soccer as much". I heard several of these types of sentiments express. Typically , these are people who wouldn't know the difference between a sweeper and swiffer, who think that jogo bonito is a fancy drink with hat that you sip on hot day, who think that a 4-4-2 is a cleaning agent, who think that the measure of a good player is how hard and far you can kick a ball and how fast you are and how physical you can play.

In all seriousness here, I don't think anyone would give Canada a chance in hell of winning the World Cup. Lets qualify for the event first thing first.

That being said, if ever Canada not only made it to the World Cup, but actually made it out of their group too, I think simply that would be a HUGE boost to competitive soccer in this country and pave the way for soccer to be taken a lot more seriously then it presently is. The grassroots isn't necessarily the problem with soccer in this country. It's just that a lot of people (in my region anyways) see it just as a game, instead of a more competitive sport, where you can really develop into a pro-athlete. Many see it as a sport that you can play during the summer when there's no hockey.

However, get to the World Cup and get out of the group alive, and the mentality would probably start changing rather drastically.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Killjoy.

Fine, I'd put a cop car on fire, dance on it, beat up the whole police contingent attempting to stop me and then pee on it to put out the fire:D

That's after I break 100 windows in the downtown area to show people how happy I am!;)

Archived