Tickets for Away Matches from CSA?

djcuse

Just was wondering if anyone knew if we will have tickets alloted for us at visitor stadiums for the next round of qualifying...

I'm actually looking at the possible schedule for the mexico match, and if they play Sept 10th vs Canada in Monterrey, Mexico, then a flight from Buffalo to San Antonio is only $225... Then its just a 4-5 hour drive from San Antonio to Monterrey... Looks very tempting to do, I just wonder how I would go about trying to secure tickets for the match, and if the CSA would be allocated a set # of tickets to purchase?

Brad...

GEE!

This is from Wiki:

Most people in Chiapas are poor, rural small farmers. "Chiapas is aptly described as rich land with poor people."[1] About one quarter of the population are of full or predominant Maya descent, and in rural areas many do not speak Spanish. The state suffers from the highest rate of malnutrition in Mexico, estimated to affect more than 40% of the population. "Without roads, cities or even small towns, eastern Chiapas is a kind of dumping ground for the marginalized, in which all of the hardships peasants confront in the highlands are exacerbated."[2]

Don't believe the hype.

Chiapas is on my list of places to visit (San Cristobal, Palenque)and as per previous trips I've done elsewhere, the information we get here (travel advisories, wiki, north american press) are mostly full of crap. I almost went there when I was in Flores, Guatemala, but since it only would have been for a few days, I decided to wait until I can go for a few weeks.

By all accounts, it's not Hawaii, but it's not the crappy, ****-hole that even Mexicans make it out to be. My rule of thumb is checking the Robert Young Pelton comebackalive forum, monitoring the local papers and researching travel books/travellers/expats for up to date and informative info.

quote:Originally posted by lamptern

GEE!

This is from Wiki:

Most people in Chiapas are poor, rural small farmers. "Chiapas is aptly described as rich land with poor people."[1] About one quarter of the population are of full or predominant Maya descent, and in rural areas many do not speak Spanish. The state suffers from the highest rate of malnutrition in Mexico, estimated to affect more than 40% of the population. "Without roads, cities or even small towns, eastern Chiapas is a kind of dumping ground for the marginalized, in which all of the hardships peasants confront in the highlands are exacerbated."[2]

Chiapas is also not exactly safe to put it nicely due to Zapatista rebels standing up for counter reforms (mainly agrarian based) that they win during the Mexican Revolution. I believe Canada has a travel advisory against traveling to that region.

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

Chiapas is also not exactly safe to put it nicely due to Zapatista rebels standing up for counter reforms (mainly agrarian based) that they win during the Mexican Revolution. I believe Canada has a travel advisory against traveling to that region.

That may have been true 10 years ago when the Zapatista's were active. Hasn't been true for a long time. From Foreign Affairs http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en.asp?country=184000

quote:

WARNINGS AND RECOMMENDATIONS

There is no Official Warning for this country.

Canadians travelling to Mexico should exercise a high degree of caution due to occasional demonstrations and protests, and due to high levels of criminal activity, some involving the use of violence.

The hurricane season extends from June 1st to November 30th. For more information, please see our Global Issue on the hurricane season.

There are localized mentions of Oaxaca (based upon some violence six months ago), the drug wars in the border states, and last a mention of the use of firearms by criminal gangs (which would be the same report I'd expect for Toronto and Montreal):

quote:

In the state of Chiapas, near the border with Guatemala, the use of firearms between criminal gangs has often been reported. While Canadians are not specifically targeted, they risk being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Law enforcement and police protection are often lacking.

If you want to pose a specific question about Tuxtla Gutierrez, write to oaxaca@canada.org.mx

Quite honestly, the second biggest risk is getting very wet (but unlikely to be in any physical danger) due to a passing hurricane. Since Tuxtla is 90km from the lesser-risk Pacific and 170km from the Gulf, separated by mountain ranges on either side, it'd be like avoiding Charlottetown because a hurricane might hit Halifax. Ummm...no. The biggest risk of course is going to the game drunk and thinking you're entitled to cheer loudly for Canada.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianTraveller

That may have been true 10 years ago when the Zapatista's were active. Hasn't been true for a long time. From Foreign Affairs http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en.asp?country=184000

There are localized mentions of Oaxaca (based upon some violence six months ago), the drug wars in the border states, and last a mention of the use of firearms by criminal gangs (which would be the same report I'd expect for Toronto and Montreal):

I see my mistake now. I confused Oaxaca w/ Chiapas. Oops![:I]

If you want to pose a specific question about Tuxtla Gutierrez, write to oaxaca@canada.org.mx

Quite honestly, the second biggest risk is getting very wet (but unlikely to be in any physical danger) due to a passing hurricane. Since Tuxtla is 90km from the lesser-risk Pacific and 170km from the Gulf, separated by mountain ranges on either side, it'd be like avoiding Charlottetown because a hurricane might hit Halifax. Ummm...no. The biggest risk of course is going to the game drunk and thinking you're entitled to cheer loudly for Canada.

Archived