Ottawa Citizen Article on Player's Want for Saputo

peachgrinder

Grass always greener to CSA despite players' best interests

The Ottawa Citizen

Published: Sunday, June 22, 2008

If I was to tell you the grass looked really green at Saputo Stadium in Montreal on Friday night before I even talk about Canada striding through the first stage of qualification for World Cup 2010, you might want to know where I had put my head.

All the stars seemed aligned for this, the second leg of Canada's first CONCACAF qualifying hurdle towards South Africa.

St. Vincent & The Grenadines, which had gone down 3-0 in the first leg in the Caribbean, continued to be no match and lost 4-1 the second time around. The Canadian team played cohesive, thrusting soccer in front of almost a full house -- 11,502 to be exact. The fans were loud, especially behind one goal where maybe 200 red-and-whites had gathered to shout and chant their team to victory.

Email to a friend

Even the rain stopped moments before kick-off and a massive rainbow wrapped itself around the stadium. Now all Canada has to do is find the end of that rainbow and gather up the gold -- a place in the finals of soccer's holy grail.

But all is not sweetness. There are disturbing signs of that rainbow being clouded out by bureaucratic interference. And it all has to do with the grass.

Canada's squad has been together for a month now. That's a very welcome luxury judging by past Canadian Soccer Association endeavours and it showed on Friday. This is probably the most talented Canadian team ever assembled. Players like captain Paul Stalteri and star striker Dwayne de Rosario are talking about teamwork, understanding one another, developing an attacking brand of soccer.

Being together for more than three or four days has fostered that. A good sign.

Earlier in the week, players were offering rave reviews for the Saputo Stadium facilities. Top drawer in every way they were saying. And that playing surface? Wow!, As good as I've ever played on, says captain Stalteri and he's seen some of the best in his English Premiership travels.

The CSA says its most important mandate is to qualify for South Africa. If that is the case, why is it telling the players they will be playing games on artificial turf in Toronto. They hate that compared with Saputo's grass.

During training for the second St. Vincent game, here's what midfielder Julian de Guzman had to say.

"Everyone has agreed this is the best pitch there is in Canada, but the CSA ... want us to play in (Toronto's) BMO Field and Edmonton as well. Stuff like that will affect us immensely going toward the World Cup. We feel very comfortable right here."

De Guzman, who plays his soccer with Deportivo on the grass fields of Spain, wants to know why the CSA would not make sure Canada gave itself the best possible chance of qualification. That's an excellent question.

On Friday night, coach Dale Mitchell trod more delicately, but the message was the same. This is the place he and his players want to train and play. The facilities are great, the playing surface close to perfect and -- an important additional reason this -- playing in Eastern Canada is a huge bonus for the players, almost all of whom play for clubs in Europe. A five-hour hop across the Atlantic is so much better than double that to get to another CSA favoured venue -- Edmonton.

Earlier in the week, the coach appeared to side more with his players than his bosses.

He told the media grass is what the guys are used to. Ninety per cent of them play on grass in Europe. It is simply a matter of where they are most comfortable.

There appears to be a quiet player revolt going on here. Goalkeeper Greg Sutton says they will not press CSA brass any harder right now, but it seems to me they are passionate enough about carrying this team to South Africa that they are making a stand and they want the right reaction.

When I talked to CSA spokesman Richard Scott about all this on Friday night, he produced the party line. "These are professional players who are demanding the best. Peter (Montopoli, the CSA's new general secretary) demands the best. This will be worked out."

What looked like a major obstacle to a Saputo-only solution is not as tough as originally imagined. The CSA has a deal that demands six national team games are played every year on the artificial turf that is BMO Field. But that does not mean six games for the men's team. It means, according to Scott, six games by any of Canada's national teams.

Montopoli has also met with the players to hear what they need to better the program. But, as de Guzman has said, it comes down to whether the CSA lives up to its promises.

I realize from a fan point of view, playing in front of 20,000 Toronto fans will produce the ultimate in vocal support. But the players want the Montreal grass and the fans there worked very hard to create atmosphere on Friday night. Let's face it, more than 11,000 fans coming out to watch what was really a foregone conclusion is exciting.

I'm with the players on this one. Here's hoping the CSA is, too.

RICHARD STARNES' Beautiful Game column normally appears Saturdays. Send comments and suggestions to rstarnes@thecitizen.canwest.com or sportsletters@thecitizen.canwest.com. For daily soccer news, go to his blog at ottawacitizen.com.

© The Ottawa Citizen 2008

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by pod818

Why couldn't they do a double header? Play the Canada match after the Impact match. Start the impact match a little earlier if that was the concern.

You can't do that according to the FIFA rules.

I'm not even sure you can hold a pro game in the same city while a WC qualifiers is being held in another stadium. Something like that was in effect during the U-20 WC last year.

Silly question, but I recall that during construction of Stade Saputo there was mention that the grounds could be increased in capacity quite easily (perhaps if the MLS hopes came to fruition). Is that true? What is the projected capacity if they were to add seats? Could they add those seats quickly?

I am fully behind the players on this issue - they have felt under-supported by the CSA, and if that is compounded by the inflexibility of the association to play its qualifiers in the location preferred by the team, well...CSA, bow to the pressure. I am in Edmonton and love to see the team come here when it does. Toronto surely would like to see some matches. But I would prefer that the team is happy and comfortable, thus improving its chances of qualification.

quote:Originally posted by fishman

Silly question, but I recall that during construction of Stade Saputo there was mention that the grounds could be increased in capacity quite easily (perhaps if the MLS hopes came to fruition). Is that true? What is the projected capacity if they were to add seats? Could they add those seats quickly?

I am fully behind the players on this issue - they have felt under-supported by the CSA, and if that is compounded by the inflexibility of the association to play its qualifiers in the location preferred by the team, well...CSA, bow to the pressure. I am in Edmonton and love to see the team come here when it does. Toronto surely would like to see some matches. But I would prefer that the team is happy and comfortable, thus improving its chances of qualification.

As much a I'd like to see a game @ BMO, if it means a win away from BMO, so be it.

Their are rumours going round that grass is being looked into for next season, so we'll have to see what happens...

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

As much a I'd like to see a game @ BMO, if it means a win away from BMO, so be it.

Their are rumours going round that grass is being looked into for next season, so we'll have to see what happens...

Dito for me and Edmonton. I'd love to see the MNT within driving distance for me but I'm a firm believer in taking away all excuses. If the players want grass, let them have it. If they do play at Edmonton I hope they have better turf than they did for the Whitecaps/Galaxy game.

Yeah but thats just as bad as field turf because its DEAD grass. [xx(]

Anyone else get the feeling that TFC is all for the player protests as a way to pressure the city to help with getting grass at BMO. I am sure TFC owners are loving this. They are probably going to try and convince the city of getting a separate winter facility and put grass at BMO. Is there any doubt the only reason TFC does not have a designated player is the top guys don't want to play on turf.

If Canada does not play in Toronto, the city loses revenue...no doubt about.

I smell a conspiracy among CSA, players, TFC.

I am all for it too.:D

quote:Originally posted by paul-toronto

Anyone else get the feeling that TFC is all for the player protests as a way to pressure the city to help with getting grass at BMO. I am sure TFC owners are loving this. They are probably going to try and convince the city of getting a separate winter facility and put grass at BMO. Is there any doubt the only reason TFC does not have a designated player is the top guys don't want to play on turf.

If Canada does not play in Toronto, the city loses revenue...no doubt about.

I smell a conspiracy among CSA, players, TFC.

I am all for it too.:D

Well as long as the Argo's are kept out of BMO they could play in Nunavut for all I care.

If grass=no Argos, everyone is happy!

The other issue that could make it difficult for the CSA is political pressure. The different levels of government might start asking very uncomfortable questions of the CSA brass if no National team games get played at BMO field, after taxpayer money was dumped into it on the partial basis that it would be the "National" soccer stadium.

Having said that, they need to take a stand and side with the players.

Not so simple. Wish it were.

With the way it's largely done now as soon as you lay the sod over artificial turf it's for all intents and purposes dying. In a week, ten days tops, it'll be completely dead depending on the weather and usage.

The CSA is not going to put down sod at BMO for only one match and there is no way what is laid down will last from international to international.

Daniel asked the question as to why a FieldTurf practice pitch wasn't laid down next to BMO and I think that question is still relevant. Bubble over the FieldTurf pitch come winter with a temp. tunnel connecting it to BMO's change rooms and you'd be set.

Never been to BMO so that alternative may not be practical for simple geographic reasons, but it's pretty clear now that ALL the concerns pundits had with Pipe's little dream stadium have been 100% spot on. Or very nearly.

Not saying a solution, even a temporary one can't be found by the time The Hex comes around. A thick earth base between the sod and FieldTurf maybe? Don't know. But a permanent solution would be welcomed by pretty much everyone concerned. That much is clear.

quote:Originally posted by tovan

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/soccer/2008/06/22/004-Saputo_Canada.shtml

The CSA is looking into the availability of Saputo Stadium for the next qualifying round.

Interesting... Saputa basically says "We'll get it sorted out" in regards to the schedule conflict with the Impact.

As much as I'd like to see the boys play in Edmonton, I'd much rather see them win anywhere. So if Montreal is what it takes... then so be it.

That's essentially what is being looked into. Then it's still available for community use.

Apparently this is what was done in New England during the last Gold Cup. It did not get favorable reviews from the players from what I recall ( ie.: way too soft a surface). Apparently the players were glad to see the grass removed.

Maybe grass on top of field turf is not the best idea. On he other hand, I heard no complaints about the pitch when they laid grass down at the Skydome for those champions world games involving Liverpool, Roma, Celtic and Porto.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Apparently this is what was done in New England during the last Gold Cup. It did not get favorable reviews from the players from what I recall ( ie.: way too soft a surface). Apparently the players were glad to see the grass removed.

Maybe grass on top of field turf is not the best idea. On he other hand, I heard no complaints about the pitch when they laid grass down at the Skydome for those champions world games involving Liverpool, Roma, Celtic and Porto.

My understanding is that it would't be grass on top of turf since BMO wouldn't be available for rentals during most of the MLS season.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens...

http://www.greentechitm.com/pdf/AthleticMU.pdf

http://www.greentechitm.com/systems/multiuse.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GreenTech_ITM

MLSE/TFC should install a modular system such as the one developed by Greentch ITM (currently used in Millenium Stadium - Cardiff, Olympic Stadium - Athens, and for Wimbledon tennis). If its good enough for Greek and Welsh national teams, Olympics, and a Grand Slam tennis tournament surely it can work for TFC/CSA.

Benefits:

- Real grass that can be removed/installed easily w/o needing much time to lay the turf and allow it to set into the soil

- Can be removed in winter months to allow for year-round use of BMO field, bubble can still be used and for events such as concerts, etc.

- Can be grown off-site and installed for events when needed

- Modular design allows for easy replacement of high use/dead areas

Solves the problem of having real grass and having the stadium available during winter months under the bubble and for other events. Conclusion - everyone can be happy. Enough discussion, just get it done.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

You can't do that according to the FIFA rules.

I'm not even sure you can hold a pro game in the same city while a WC qualifiers is being held in another stadium. Something like that was in effect during the U-20 WC last year.

Unless this is a new rule, we saw New England Revolution play Metrostars squeezed in between Canada-Costa Rica and USA-El Salvador at the 2003 Gold Cup (has it really been 5 years?)

I think the obstacle to a double-header is that tickets have already been sold for the Impact match, so the CSA would not get the $$$ from that game.

Archived