Are we the 2009 Gold Cup hosts???

michaeltfc91

quote:Anyway. I don't think its completely unrealistic for Canada to host. South Africa has worse issues (and they may lose the tourney due to slow stadium development). It wouldn't be easy. Let's start with the Gold Cup.

Saputo cost way less than that.

And is far from being 20k BMO, much less a World Cup Stadium!

SS builders forgot space for TV cameras, which is why they're in cages suspended from the roof!

Conservatively, the budget for stadia retro-fit would be around $500M which ensures that the stadia more than meet "minimum requirements". That's a reasonable amount in today's economy; anything under the $1 billion number should be quite fine. I'd be surprised if Halifax was included in any bid unless they obtained a stadium through other means (i.e. the gov't built it for another event). Halifax isn't a must for a WC bid, just a nice-to-have. It'd also have to be a 25,000 seat facility to satisfy other requirements (mostly for a CFL team), which comes with a price tag much more than on-the-cheap Saputo.

As for hosting a World Cup, it's only a question of "when". FIFA is running out of countries to host it every-other-eight-years. I'd suggest we'd be behind Mexico (1st priority in CONCACAF after 2022, I'd say), U.S., Argentina, maybe Chile and someday Colombia, the next African host (I'd guess Egypt, but none are close to qualified today), China, Australia, maybe a UAE/Saudia Arabia joint bid if they built enough indoor facilities, or a Thailand/Malaysia bid down the road. I have to believe Canada would be ahead of Japan, (South) Korea, places like Indonesia, India and Iran, and a handful of small(er) countries with a limited number of major cities. I would hope that Russia, Ukraine, and Turkey are given a European hosting slot. If any of that's true, then Canada should host sometime between 2022 and 2094. If I had to pick a year: 2064.

Obviously a lot can happen in a century, and candidates (and their priority) will change accordingly. Venezuela is a great example of a country that could easily join the list over the next 50 years.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianTraveller

Conservatively, the budget for stadia retro-fit would be around $500M which ensures that the stadia more than meet "minimum requirements". That's a reasonable amount in today's economy; anything under the $1 billion number should be quite fine. I'd be surprised if Halifax was included in any bid unless they obtained a stadium through other means (i.e. the gov't built it for another event). Halifax isn't a must for a WC bid, just a nice-to-have. It'd also have to be a 25,000 seat facility to satisfy other requirements (mostly for a CFL team), which comes with a price tag much more than on-the-cheap Saputo.

As for hosting a World Cup, it's only a question of "when". FIFA is running out of countries to host it every-other-eight-years. I'd suggest we'd be behind Mexico (1st priority in CONCACAF after 2022, I'd say), U.S., Argentina, maybe Chile and someday Colombia, the next African host (I'd guess Egypt, but none are close to qualified today), China, Australia, maybe a UAE/Saudia Arabia joint bid if they built enough indoor facilities, or a Thailand/Malaysia bid down the road. I have to believe Canada would be ahead of Japan, (South) Korea, places like Indonesia, India and Iran, and a handful of small(er) countries with a limited number of major cities. I would hope that Russia, Ukraine, and Turkey are given a European hosting slot. If any of that's true, then Canada should host sometime between 2022 and 2094. If I had to pick a year: 2064.

Obviously a lot can happen in a century, and candidates (and their priority) will change accordingly. Venezuela is a great example of a country that could easily join the list over the next 50 years.

Do you know when tickets go on sale?

well actually I emailed Noel Butler (team 990 in Montreal) concerning this exact topic not too long ago, I also emailed him regarding why the SVG was on tape delay this was his reply:

"Appreciate the email Vincent - Yes to the Gold Cup rumors. Too bad with tv tommorrow - RSN are obligated to carry the Blue Jays

Cheers, Noel"

for it to happen your gonna need a venue with minumium 30k+ for the final which is it?

commonwealth?

the big o?

Skydome?

for semis if they expand SS to 20k that and BMO would be ideal but i dont know its wishful thinking

as much as id love to see world class football in my backyard somethings telling me unless we get a major australian like overhaul of our national system nothing is likely to happen

Archived