Are we the 2009 Gold Cup hosts???

michaeltfc91

There's absolutely no reason for not having the entire tournament in Canada. When you watch those games in Miami and California...unless it's Mexico or the US, the stadiums are empty.

With the multicultural nature of our country, I'd imagine we could pull in big numbers for say Jamaica or T&T in Montreal and Toronto, plus the smaller Central American countries too.

This seems like such a no-brainer.

With all the recent news of stadiums being refurbished or rebuilt (Winnipeg, BC Place, Lansdowne in Ottawa, Stade Olimpique new fixed roof and renovation, BMO inevitable expansion) I would think we should shoot to do a proper job of hosting the whole thing in 2011.

We should be really pushing to host this. If the World Cup is even a pipe dream for us, then we should be hosting as many events as we possibly can, to prove our worth. In addition to that, there is no reason why we can't host this event tomorrow if need be.

I agree 20,000 seat stadiums just don't cut it and by then the Olympic Stadium may be torn down so that's out of the question!

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

woo...Hold the World Cup? Maybe the womens or the Club World Championship but I very much doubt Canada will ever hold a man's World Cup in any of our lifetime.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

woo...Hold the World Cup? Maybe the womens or the Club World Championship but I very much doubt Canada will ever hold a man's World Cup in any of our lifetime.

well there are only 5 parts of north america capable of hosting, Mexico, US, Canada, a Central American joint bid or caribbean joint bid (and sincerely doubt the last two would happen because of the difficulty that would come out of seeing who would be seeded as hosts), with the world cup going continent to continent, and since in 2014 it'll have been in succession to asia, europe, africa then south america, technically we'll be due and I think Canada can compete with the US and Mexico for hosting rights, not the whole world but the US and Mexico.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

well there are only 5 parts of north america capable of hosting, Mexico, US, Canada, a Central American joint bid or caribbean joint bid (and sincerely doubt the last two would happen because of the difficulty that would come out of seeing who would be seeded as hosts), with the world cup going continent to continent, and since in 2014 it'll have been in succession to asia, europe, africa then south america, technically we'll be due and I think Canada can compete with the US and Mexico for hosting rights, not the whole world but the US and Mexico.

I thought i remembered hearing that FIFA was abandoning this idea of ensuring the competition rotates to all continents. Maybe i am mistaken, though.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

I thought i remembered hearing that FIFA was abandoning this idea of ensuring the competition rotates to all continents. Maybe i am mistaken, though.

That was stopped after FIFA realized they'd have to hold one in North America in 2018 if they stuck to that.

quote:Originally posted by theaub

That was stopped after FIFA realized they'd have to hold one in North America in 2018 if they stuck to that.

More like a realization that Europe would only get the World Cup every 20 years. Great foresight guys. Good job.

I'm for rotation, but it was a pipe dream to think it could actually be pulled off.

Here's what wikipedia says:

El Salvador 1963 | Guatemala 1965 | Honduras 1967 | Costa Rica 1969 | Trinidad and Tobago 1971 | Haiti 1973 | Mexico 1977 | Honduras 1981 | 1985 (No fixed venue) | 1989 (No fixed venue) | United States 1991 | United States/Mexico 1993 | United States 1996 | United States 1998 | United States 2000 | United States 2002 | United States/Mexico 2003 | United States 2005 | United States 2007 | United States 2009 |

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concacaf_gold_cup

quote:Originally posted by Melpomenus

Here's what wikipedia says:

El Salvador 1963 | Guatemala 1965 | Honduras 1967 | Costa Rica 1969 | Trinidad and Tobago 1971 | Haiti 1973 | Mexico 1977 | Honduras 1981 | 1985 (No fixed venue) | 1989 (No fixed venue) | United States 1991 | United States/Mexico 1993 | United States 1996 | United States 1998 | United States 2000 | United States 2002 | United States/Mexico 2003 | United States 2005 | United States 2007 | United States 2009 |

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concacaf_gold_cup

Funny thing about wikipedia is that information on it tends to get changed a lot. That same page said it would be in Canada less than 24 hours ago. It's just someone out there guessing.

• 1 month later...

Le Stade Olympique Turf 65,000

Commonwealth Stadium Grass 62,000

BC Place Turf 60,000

Ivor Wynne Stadium Turf 43,000

Frank Clair Stadium Turf 26,000

BMO field Turf 20,500 (Soccer Specific)

Saputo Stadium Grass 13,000 (Soccer Specific)

King George V Park Turf 10,000 (Scocer Specific)

Royal Athletic Park Grass 9,000

9 capable stadiums we have

3 are soccer specific

3 have grass

1 (Saputo Stadium) has grass and is soccer specific

As a Hamiltonian and East Ender, Ivor Wynne would never work for a major soccer tournament something about Crack heads, low income neighbourhoods,prostitutes taking away from the ambiance of world class sporting event.

Mac's great for a training camp but sadly until the city moves forward on a new stadium World class soccer will dodge the city

Its a load of crap though:

"With a minimum outlay of $165.5 Million, Canada can upgrade its stadia to meet FIFA’s current

requirements, allowing it to make a bid."

"Vancouver – BC Place $ 4.0

Edmonton – Commonwealth Stadium $ 6.8

Calgary – McMahon Stadium $ 18.4

Regina – Taylor Field $ 17.6

Winnipeg – Winnipeg Stadium $ 10.4

Hamilton – Ivor Wynne Stadium $ 18.2

Toronto – Skydome $ 3.3

Ottawa – Frank Clair Stadium $ 17.6

Montreal – Olympic Stadium $ 15.1

Halifax – New Stadium $ 54.2

Total $ 165.5"

Remember that was projected in 2000. Costs have gone up considerably since then. A new stadium at $54.2. Yeah sure. Edmonton is talking about a new hockey arena conservativley at $500. What did BMO cost?

Anyway. I don't think its completely unrealistic for Canada to host. South Africa has worse issues (and they may lose the tourney due to slow stadium development). It wouldn't be easy. Let's start with the Gold Cup.

quote:Originally posted by superbrad

Remember that was projected in 2000. Costs have gone up considerably since then. A new stadium at $54.2. Yeah sure. Edmonton is talking about a new hockey arena conservativley at $500. What did BMO cost?

Anyway. I don't think its completely unrealistic for Canada to host. South Africa has worse issues (and they may lose the tourney due to slow stadium development). It wouldn't be easy. Let's start with the Gold Cup.

Saputo cost way less than that.

Archived