canada/jamaica Aug 20th set for.... Montreal...

djcuse

Can someone change the title of the thread?

There were under 1,000 Vincy fans last night at the game, but they made a crapload more noise than the 9,000 Canadian fans not in the supporters section (can't gauge what the V's sounded like because I was in the middle). When Vincy scored, they went nuts. I'm feeling really uneasy on anything more than a few thousand opposition fans for any game during WCQ. 8k Jamaican fans in Toronto is gonna be loud. Better in Saint-John's.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Can someone change the title of the thread?

There were under 1,000 Vincy fans last night at the game, but they made a crapload more noise than the 9,000 Canadian fans not in the supporters section (can't gauge what the V's sounded like because I was in the middle). When Vincy scored, they went nuts. I'm feeling really uneasy on anything more than a few thousand opposition fans for any game during WCQ. 8k Jamaican fans in Toronto is gonna be loud. Better in Saint-John's.

For anyone outside the V's section how was the noise, cause it sounded good from the middle of the V's section IMO

quote:There were under 1,000 Vincy fans last night at the game, but they made a crapload more noise than the 9,000 Canadian fans not in the supporters section

this is the problem anywhere in Canada except if enough TFC + Voyageurs fans show up at BMO. In other stadiums, they treat the match as a family outing while it's life and death for supporters of all our opponents in our region (except for the US).

Impact match can be moved to the 19th or 21st as they also play on the 16th & 24th. Both the 20th & 24th match are against the Atlanta Silverbacks; so, it's shouldn't be onerous for either team. Plus, this is the USL where you play on Friday night and then Sunday afternoon which the Impact do on the 8th & 10th of August.

quote:Originally posted by red card

Impact match can be moved to the 19th or 21st as they also play on the 16th & 24th. Both the 20th & 24th match are against the Atlanta Silverbacks; so, it's shouldn't be onerous for either team. Plus, this is the USL where you play on Friday night and then Sunday afternoon which the Impact do on the 8th & 10th of August.

I doubt the Impact would do that, because they'd have trouble communicating the change to ticket holders.

I think we have to accept the fact that this how is things are in Canada... for now. Who would have thought that an obscure island nation of 120K would actually have more than 10 or 20 supporters for a WC qualifying match in Montreal? Yet there they were in substantial numbers. Maybe after we qualify for WC2010 and hopefully have some success on the world stage some of these "Canadians" will jump on the bandwagon and actually cheer for Canada.

Anyway, in the case of the Jamaica game at BMO, I think the CSA could take a couple of steps to help the cause and prevent too many Jamaican supporters into the stadium.

-Designate a "Jamaican Supporters Section" (maybe sections 104/105/etc in the northeast corner)

-Consult with MLSE and give ONLY those TFC season ticket holders in the supporters section (ie south and south/east corner stands) first dibs to buy their seats

-Then have a presale for Voyageurs and other supporters groups to fill in any remaining seats in the south supporters stands

-Then have a presale for the rest of TFC season ticket holders

-Then try to sell the cheaper corner stands to youth groups to fill those up and limit the number of cheap seats available

-And finally have the remaining tickets go on sale to the public with a specific option of buying a ticket in the "Jamaican Supporters Section"

-Also ask those buying a large group-buy of tickets specifics about what "group" they are or represent and place them accordingly if they turn out to be Jamaican supporters

I think this would at least place most the Jamaican supporters in one area and also put off some from attending because the remaining seats would be in the expensive midfield sections.

Finally, ask MLSE ticketing/Ticketmaster to keep a "supporters database" of who bought what seats in each phase of the pre-sale and next time there is a Canada game at BMO offer these people the same seats through a pre-sale and hopefully ensure the same Canada supporters continually come for every game held at BMO. This database can then be used to offer pre-sale seats for Canadian supporters at the Montreal game(s).

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

For anyone outside the V's section how was the noise, cause it sounded good from the middle of the V's section IMO

Well on TV the Canadian supporters section was clearly heard. Great job guys. Also, the big Canadian flag looked f'kin awesome on tv....

I'd be quite disappointed if the entire south section wasn't in red. Although from the U-20, I don't expect it at all.

As long as there's a Voyageurs section I'll be happy though, since watching the U-20's with only Chile fans sucked.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

The key thing here is the CSA has to make sure it will be a pro canadian crowd. I guess they have to talk with TFC and the people running the stadium about the selling of tickets.

Why is the CSA responsible for this? Have the Jamaicans been given some sort of exemption to be able to buy tickets first? Come on people of Toronto, enough excuses, get off your ass and get your tickets before the Rasta men.

quote:Originally posted by MBZitch

I think we have to accept the fact that this how is things are in Canada... for now. Who would have thought that an obscure island nation of 120K would actually have more than 10 or 20 supporters for a WC qualifying match in Montreal? Yet there they were in substantial numbers. Maybe after we qualify for WC2010 and hopefully have some success on the world stage some of these "Canadians" will jump on the bandwagon and actually cheer for Canada.

Anyway, in the case of the Jamaica game at BMO, I think the CSA could take a couple of steps to help the cause and prevent too many Jamaican supporters into the stadium.

-Designate a "Jamaican Supporters Section" (maybe sections 104/105/etc in the northeast corner)

-Consult with MLSE and give ONLY those TFC season ticket holders in the supporters section (ie south and south/east corner stands) first dibs to buy their seats

-Then have a presale for Voyageurs and other supporters groups to fill in any remaining seats in the south supporters stands

-Then have a presale for the rest of TFC season ticket holders

-Then try to sell the cheaper corner stands to youth groups to fill those up and limit the number of cheap seats available

-And finally have the remaining tickets go on sale to the public with a specific option of buying a ticket in the "Jamaican Supporters Section"

-Also ask those buying a large group-buy of tickets specifics about what "group" they are or represent and place them accordingly if they turn out to be Jamaican supporters

I think this would at least place most the Jamaican supporters in one area and also put off some from attending because the remaining seats would be in the expensive midfield sections.

Finally, ask MLSE ticketing/Ticketmaster to keep a "supporters database" of who bought what seats in each phase of the pre-sale and next time there is a Canada game at BMO offer these people the same seats through a pre-sale and hopefully ensure the same Canada supporters continually come for every game held at BMO. This database can then be used to offer pre-sale seats for Canadian supporters at the Montreal game(s).

I think you got it right with the presale angle except for asking about allegiance in the group sales. Putting any prejudice into purchasing is not something that happens in this country very often. I'm for it in this case but can't see it happening. After last night in Montreal I can see that being replicated at BMO would be a good next step. Having so many away supporters spread throughout the stands is unfortunate but at this point not dangerous. But first thing's first we need to sellout BMO (I now refuse to call it National Stadium) for a MNT game.

quote:Originally posted by italianboy

eject people wearing jamaican colors.

if they complain say that their is a section for jamaican fans as is done in EVERY other football game around the world...

not that complicated

Welcome to Canada where Canadian fans come a distant second.

quote:I doubt the Impact would do that, because they'd have trouble communicating the change to ticket holders.

that's a stretch since they can email, post on their website + the usual methods over the next 2 months. It's all done all the time in the NFL for US TV - switch game from 1 to 4 with 1-2 weeks notice. and at the same time, Impact fans can get first dibs on Canada tix.

Maybe you guys are over analyzing this whole thing. The CSA are probably thinking that TFC is doing pretty well and attendance is great so they figure why not support Canada. Instead of us whining about why don't we contact the CSA and ask them about their logic??

I have been trying to contact morgan quarry and he never responds to my emails anymore so if you guys know who to talk to let me know! By the way we don't have to fly all the way to Vancouver we can go to Edmonton to play at the very most!

Maybe you guys are over analyzing this whole thing. The CSA are probably thinking that TFC is doing pretty well and attendance is great so they figure why not support Canada. Instead of us whining about why don't we contact the CSA and ask them about their logic??

I have been trying to contact morgan quarry and he never responds to my emails anymore so if you guys know who to talk to let me know! By the way we don't have to fly all the way to Vancouver we can go to Edmonton to play at the very most!

quote:Originally posted by red card

that's a stretch since they can email, post on their website + the usual methods over the next 2 months. It's all done all the time in the NFL for US TV - switch game from 1 to 4 with 1-2 weeks notice. and at the same time, Impact fans can get first dibs on Canada tix.

Most NFL fans know (and care) they're going to the game ;).

Most NFL fans know (and care) they're going to the game ;).

For TFC matches the e-mail the STH about any changes.

I don't see why the same can't be done in Montreal.

As for Jamaica in TO, bad idea I think. As much as it would be nice to not have to travel as far, if a win means playing in Montreal, so be it.

The south end being filled w/ supporters probably won't be a problem.

It's the rest of the stadium that's an issue.

If we can get similar pricing here to what Saputo charged yesterday, I think it would definitely help things. As for me, I'm going either way if it's at BMO.

Guest speedmonk42

Someone mentionned that FIFA games aren't allowed to be double-headers.

A double-header would go along way in insuring minimal Jamaican presence. Unfortunately, it might be the same for out-of-town Canadians...

It sounds like it makes sense that they wouldn't allow it, but....

FIFA 2002 U20 Women's..... lots of double headers there. I am sure I have been to others as well in Asia.

Maybe the rules changed.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Also doesn't the Gold Cup do double headers as well?

I guess it is the mix and match thing that may not be allowed.

Archived