canada/jamaica Aug 20th set for.... Montreal...

djcuse

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's a relief, I'm outta town (Montreal) the week of the first game, so I would of been pretty damn sad.

At least I won't be missing an opportunity to see one of them.

Next time I'm buying tickets for section 114... I kept looking over longengly wanting to over there jumping up and down chanting. I did what I could in my section, but people were too shy..or something

thats AWESOME!!!! playing jamaica in toronto...honestly the CSA are absolute morons. IDIOTS. start off the campaign, at home, on a surface the players hate, in a town loaded full of jamaicans. ARE THE CSA THAT IGNORANT? IF THEY MESS UP THIS CAMPAIGN I WANT THE PLAYERS TO BOYCOTT OR STRIKE.

quote:Originally posted by lefoot

thats AWESOME!!!! playing jamaica in toronto...honestly the CSA are absolute morons. IDIOTS. start off the campaign, at home, on a surface the players hate, in a town loaded full of jamaicans. ARE THE CSA THAT IGNORANT? IF THEY MESS UP THIS CAMPAIGN I WANT THE PLAYERS TO BOYCOTT OR STRIKE.

The only real option in the east is St-John's, NL. The players don't want to go out west. MTL is impossible due to the Impact playing that night.

The key thing here is the CSA has to make sure it will be a pro canadian crowd. I guess they have to talk with TFC and the people running the stadium about the selling of tickets. And it's in their (TFC and the city of Toronto) interests that we have a pro canadian crowd for that game (if they want a see the MNT play another game there).

quote:The key thing here is the CSA has to make sure it will be a pro canadian crowd. I guess they have to talk with TFC and the people running the stadium about the selling of tickets.

game is fine at BMO if this is done - they haven't done it in the past; so, it's an indicator if the CSA is actually been run professionally or is it still run by amateurs.

And if we lose, then CSA is opening itself to second guessing by the players especially since the CSA didn't listen to them.

quote:Originally posted by red card

game is fine at BMO if this is done - they haven't done it in the past; so, it's an indicator if the CSA is actually been run professionally or is it still run by amateurs.

And if we lose, then CSA is opening itself to second guessing by the players especially since the CSA didn't listen to them.

How can the CSA listen to the players (I think you're reffering to the request of playing all games in MTL) when the Impaact are playing on the same night. It's up to the USL and Saputo to change the date of the Impact game, not the CSA fault.

Playing in TO is ridiculous considering our opponent. Montreal may not be an option due to scheduling conflicts and the players may not want to fly all the way to Vancouver, but I think TO should be avoided at all cost. I forget the name of the stadium in Winnipeg, but is that not an option?

It may not be the CSA's fault than Montreal isn't available, but I would like to know what other options they have explored. If they have done nothing other than booking the game in TO, then yes, some blame must fall on them - they must know what kind of support Jamaica will get there.

Lets hear it CSA, what are you doing to ensure that our first home game gives us the greatest advantage possible? Please don't fcuk us before we have even begun.

Is there a percentage of seats that must be allotted for opponent's fans? They should allow only 2000 to sit in one area of stadium. When I bought 2006 WC Germany tickets, I was required to declare which team I was supporting. We should do the same. You come sporting green and gold and have a ticket in the wrong section....go home! We must fight our rather annoying tendency to be politically correct. There would be false cries of racism and profiling, of course, but fcuk them.

Prediction: 8,000 loud and proud Jamaicans and 20 disheartened Canadian players. Hell, we might even have Yellowman or Buju Banton sing the Jamaican anthem. Only in Canada; only in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by hectorj

Is there a percentage of seats that must be allotted for opponent's fans? They should allow only 2000 to sit in one area of stadium. When I bought 2006 WC Germany tickets, I was required to declare which team I was supporting. We should do the same. You come sporting green and gold and have a ticket in the wrong section....go home! We must fight our rather annoying tendency to be politically correct. There would be false cries of racism and profiling, of course, but fcuk them.

Prediction: 8,000 loud and proud Jamaicans and 20 disheartened Canadian players. Hell, we might even have Yellowman or Buju Banton sing the Jamaican anthem. Only in Canada; only in Canada.

I was just thinking the same thing, that any attempt to limit tickets would result in cries of racism. The problem is that it is Canadians buying tickets to support the visiting team, in this case, Jamaica. Hard to weed people out other than by ethnicity. Best bet is just not to have the game there and avoid any ugly situations.

If this game happens, the TFC supporters groups will ensure that at the very least the south end will be full of hardcore Canadian support (if we're given the tools to do so)..The rest of the stadium, well that's a crap shoot, but I'd like for the CSA to even sell a ton of those tickets to youth groups just to ensure that at least they're not cheering against Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

I was just thinking the same thing, that any attempt to limit tickets would result in cries of racism. The problem is that it is Canadians buying tickets to support the visiting team, in this case, Jamaica. Hard to weed people out other than by ethnicity. Best bet is just not to have the game there and avoid any ugly situations.

Give priority to TFC season ticket holders, maybe giving them a discount. Not sure they have that much Jamaicans following them. Also, make sure the section behind the goal is the Voyageurs section!

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Give priority to TFC season ticket holders, maybe giving them a discount. Not sure they have that much Jamaicans following them. Also, make sure the section behind the goal is the Voyageurs section!

I can't say for sure, but from what I seem to have seen on this board, TFC fans are not necessarily Canadian fans. It would be great to rally their support for a Canadian game. Can it be done?

Any chance of a double header with the TFC opening things with a game against a big name opponent? Invite an Italian or Portuguese club over for an exhibition. Just a thought

I agree, Paddy. It is best not to have game there. It is like USA vs Mexico at Memorial Coliseum in LA. 70,000 seats...45,000 Mexicans (if not more). I think things have progressed enough in this country that the CSA does not have to make money off ticket sales to opponent fans.

To those who follow TFC, what do you think the percentage would be of season ticket holders would be our supporters?

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

I can't say for sure, but from what I seem to have seen on this board, TFC fans are not necessarily Canadian fans. It would be great to rally their support for a Canadian game. Can it be done?

Any chance of a double header with the TFC opening things with a game against a big name opponent? Invite an Italian or Portuguese club over for an exhibition. Just a thought

You don't need them to support Canada at all cost, you just don't want a see them in green and gold. You need them to show up at the game.

What are the other options? Kingston and St-John's, NL? Not sure those stadiums are in great shape to receive that kind of game and I'm pretty sure Jamaicans would make the trip to Kingston.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

If I could chose I'd say:

Jamaica - St. John's

Honduras - Montreal

Mexico - Edmonton or the Yukon

I agree. St. John's 1985 was a brilliant move. I watch that old tape time to time and the sight of the freezing, miserable Hondurans on the bench is priceless. It won't be cold in August, but it would be hard for most Jamaicans to get there. The Honduras game in Mtl. would be close to 25% Hondurans though. Many live on east coast of USA. Mexico in Edmonton in October is a must although the plastic pitch in Toronto might mess them up.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

If this game happens, the TFC supporters groups will ensure that at the very least the south end will be full of hardcore Canadian support (if we're given the tools to do so)..The rest of the stadium, well that's a crap shoot, but I'd like for the CSA to even sell a ton of those tickets to youth groups just to ensure that at least they're not cheering against Canada.

Big second on that one ...

Honestly, I really hope that this game isn't going to be here. Personally, I'd take Mex or Honduras over the Jamaicans in TO, but whatever. A challenege is a challenge. The Vees, U Sector, RPB, NEE etc will all be behind our boys - guaranteed. Anticipate a larger section than the one in Montreal if it happens (just a prediction)

To those who follow TFC, what do you think the percentage would be of season ticket holders would be our supporters?

Thats a good question. You will get varying opinions for sure. But here is my observation: There are are great many whose heart lies with other national sides but certainly not other concacaf sides. I am yet to many any of those at TFC games. From TFC supporters, its not support for other concacaf teams that you need to worry about but rather indifference towards the national team that could result in more tickets being available to visiting Concacaf teams than otherwise.

Still, I believe that the majority does not root against Canada. But can you get them off their couch to invest in tickets to support Canada in WCQ and not scalp their ticket to Hondurans and Mexicans? thats the big question.

But since you want numbers, I'll give it shot.

Group 1) 35- 40% of TFC season ticket holders can be countered to be solidly behind Canada in WCQ:

Group 2) 35-40% would have to pushed into buying a ticket. Specifically, they will go with flow and buy up whats popular. If properly marketed to, they will buy tickets. Included in this group might those types who religiously watch EURO soccer and have solid rooting interest in international soccer but acknowledge that they are Canadians and feel and understand a certain obligation to not neglect their home land. This is group that will easily be influenced through peer pressure to come out and support canada in WCQ. You might also include in this group, supporter who are drawn to TFC for social aspect of the environment and the party atmospher.

Group 3) 20-30% are just not interested in following Canada in Int'l soccer. they fall into one or more of this group: They dont like the product, their loyalty to the home country is too strong, dont like the way we play, the way we have played, Feel we have accomplished nothing (basically they think we are crap in soccer), are fairweather fans, etc etc. These are the people who will scalp off their tickets to visiting Argertinians, Chileans, Mexicans, Hondurans and so forth.

The Honduras game in Mtl. would be close to 25% Hondurans though. Many live on east coast of USA. Mexico in Edmonton in October is a must although the plastic pitch in Toronto might mess them up.

Sadly, it'll probably be much more than 25%. If they don't market the game more, or somehow limit opponent ticket sales, I'm willing to bet 50% or more will be for honduras or they'll at least be way louder and prouder. Unfortunately, you can't exactly say, reserve tickets for impact season ticket holders, cause most of them won't be caught dead with a canadian flag.

Archived