Pronounciation guide: Ali Gerba

Daniel

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

D'oh!

Nobody announcing has got that memo yet.

Daniel, is it a soft G as in French gentile? Or hard J as in English jar? Or something else altogether (zh is ???)

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

"Zh" is the English transliteration from Slavic languages for a "soft" J. As in Zherdev.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Voiced_postalveolar_fricative.ogg

The second one, where he says "aja".

Not saying that your pronunciation is wrong but Gerba doesn't really sound much like a slavic name. Have you asked him how it should be pronounced and if not who is your source?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Not saying that your pronunciation is wrong but Gerba doesn't really sound much like a slavic name. Have you asked him how it should be pronounced and if not who is your source?

I don't think he's saying Gerba is a slavic name, just pronpnced like one. Maybe consider the G is pronounced like Gerrard Houllier would be pronounced in France or Jocelyn Thibeault.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

In French a G with an E after it is soft just like in English. However their soft G sounds like Zh not English J. So this is correct. In fact, the announcer at Saputo had it right :)

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Sorry...too ingrained, not about to change - already did once, Ngon, wasn't it.

If one wants a Zh sound, don't use a G.

I think you're joking but if not, remove blinders and realize English doesn't own the alphabet and letters have different pronunciations in other languages. I know this is a problem for a lot of homers but come on guys a little effort doesn't hurt for our national team players NOTICE TO ALL GOOF BALL SPORTSCASTERS. Continue calling Thierry Henry HEN-ree and jalapeño peppers jall-a-pen-ohs by all means though.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

I think you're joking but if not, remove blinders and realize English doesn't own the alphabet and letters have different pronunciations in other languages. I know this is a problem for a lot of homers but come on guys a little effort doesn't hurt for our national team players NOTICE TO ALL GOOF BALL SPORTSCASTERS. Continue calling Thierry Henry HEN-ree and jalapeño peppers jall-a-pen-ohs by all means though.

Yes, it was a joke, but while we are on the subject how about we start pronouncing Mexico and Guatemala properly. Also, Henry's name is not the only one to be butchered...how about Xavier. We could spend all day on this, but why bother.

Blinders back on, back to blissful ignorance.

This board has enough problems with English. Let's get back to work.

And Daniel, your 'Gervais' post could have put this to bed a day or two earlier.

This board has enough problems with English. Let's get back to work.

And Daniel, your 'Gervais' post could have put this to bed a day or two earlier.

Archived