Canada's Greatest Player Ever

Trillium

Even Pelerud announces Canada's greatest male or female player ever....to FIFA.com.

Coach Even Pellerud, who led his native Norway to the FIFA Women's World Cup crown in 1995, has nothing but the highest praise for his star striker.

"She is without doubt the greatest player in the history of Canadian soccer, male or female," said the Norwegian tactician, who will be stepping down after the Beijing Games. "When Christine is one her game she makes her team-mates believe that they can beat anyone in the world."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.fifa.com/womenolympic/news/newsid=798113.html

Sinclair to lead Canuck charge

Still just 24, Christine Sinclair is already Canada's all-time top scorer. Chalking up an astonishing 87 goals in 113 caps, her nose for goal is without equal in the women's game in the Great White North.

She broke the previous record of 72, held by former team-mate Charmaine Hooper, in a 2006 friendly against New Zealand in what was Sinclair's 93rd cap. "I was close to breaking the record for a while and all my teammates were asking me when I was going to do it and kidding me about it," the young striker and current captain of the Canadian national team told FIFA.com.

"I am extremely proud of breaking the record and it speaks to the kind of progress we've made as a team in the last few years," she added, quick to deflect attention off herself and on to hard-working team-mates like Kara Lang, Brittany Timko and Erin McLeod.

Despite finding the net with seeming ease at all age levels and two instalments of the FIFA Women's World Cup (USA 2003 and China 2007), the Vancouver Whitecaps striker and former University of Portland star is aiming to grab her first goal at a Women's Olympic Football Tournament this August in Beijing.

"As a kid I always dreamed of being an Olympian, but we didn't have women's soccer back then so I would have had to be a skier! When we beat Mexico to reach Beijing it was the best feeling ever," she said. "Now as the tournament approaches you start to get more nerves, but we're really excited about it."

An early mark

Earning her first senior cap at just 16, Sinclair first came to international prominence when she scored ten goals in six games at the first FIFA U-19 (now U-20) World Cup in Canada in 2002, the same year she was named one of the most influential sports personalities in her homeland by The Globe and Mail. Since then she has helped steer Canada to a fourth-place finish at the FIFA Women's World Cup in 2003.

The 2005, 2006 and 2007 Canadian Women's Player of the Year is keen to keep the goals flowing in Canada's first women's Olympic finals. She will be leading the line in Beijing this summer in a tough group that also includes hosts China PR, European heavyweights Sweden and South American underdogs Argentina.

"We're happy to have avoided the USA, Brazil and Germany in the first round," Sinclair said. "I think we can get out of this group."

Coach Even Pellerud, who led his native Norway to the FIFA Women's World Cup crown in 1995, has nothing but the highest praise for his star striker.

"She is without doubt the greatest player in the history of Canadian soccer, male or female," said the Norwegian tactician, who will be stepping down after the Beijing Games. "When Christine is one her game she makes her team-mates believe that they can beat anyone in the world."

Constantly living in the shadow of their neighbours to the south, USA, the Canucks make no bones about their bruising rivalry with the Americans, defending Olympic champions and number one on the FIFA/Coca-Cola Women's World Ranking. The Canadians, currently ranked ninth in the world, will be desperate to outshine their big regional rivals in Beijing this summer.

"We are not quite up to the US's level just yet," she admitted. "But we are closing the gap considerably. We play each other a lot and it's hard to take them to overtime in one game and then lose 6-0 in another. It's important for us to get more consistent"

Korea prep

To that end, they head off on Wednesday to Korea Republic to take part in the upcoming Peace Queen Cup. Sinclair cannot wait for the tournament to start. "It's a good chance for us to get ready and to get our team firing," she said

Although Sinclair has stated that it would be "nice" to hit the mark of 100 goals for Canada, which looks a foregone conclusion given her young age and seemingly insatiable hunger for goals, the captain is a modest and humble footballer seemingly unconcerned with personal status and records.

"I try to be a leader by example," she told FIFA.com. "I'm not the most vocal but I always give my all and I think the message gets across."

With guts, modesty and a sharp eye for goal, Sinclair will be leading by example when the Beijing finals kick off this summer.

http://www.fifa.com/womenolympic/news/newsid=798113.html

Sinclair to lead Canuck charge

Still just 24, Christine Sinclair is already Canada's all-time top scorer. Chalking up an astonishing 87 goals in 113 caps, her nose for goal is without equal in the women's game in the Great White North.

She broke the previous record of 72, held by former team-mate Charmaine Hooper, in a 2006 friendly against New Zealand in what was Sinclair's 93rd cap. "I was close to breaking the record for a while and all my teammates were asking me when I was going to do it and kidding me about it," the young striker and current captain of the Canadian national team told FIFA.com.

"I am extremely proud of breaking the record and it speaks to the kind of progress we've made as a team in the last few years," she added, quick to deflect attention off herself and on to hard-working team-mates like Kara Lang, Brittany Timko and Erin McLeod.

Despite finding the net with seeming ease at all age levels and two instalments of the FIFA Women's World Cup (USA 2003 and China 2007), the Vancouver Whitecaps striker and former University of Portland star is aiming to grab her first goal at a Women's Olympic Football Tournament this August in Beijing.

"As a kid I always dreamed of being an Olympian, but we didn't have women's soccer back then so I would have had to be a skier! When we beat Mexico to reach Beijing it was the best feeling ever," she said. "Now as the tournament approaches you start to get more nerves, but we're really excited about it."

An early mark

Earning her first senior cap at just 16, Sinclair first came to international prominence when she scored ten goals in six games at the first FIFA U-19 (now U-20) World Cup in Canada in 2002, the same year she was named one of the most influential sports personalities in her homeland by The Globe and Mail. Since then she has helped steer Canada to a fourth-place finish at the FIFA Women's World Cup in 2003.

The 2005, 2006 and 2007 Canadian Women's Player of the Year is keen to keep the goals flowing in Canada's first women's Olympic finals. She will be leading the line in Beijing this summer in a tough group that also includes hosts China PR, European heavyweights Sweden and South American underdogs Argentina.

"We're happy to have avoided the USA, Brazil and Germany in the first round," Sinclair said. "I think we can get out of this group."

Constantly living in the shadow of their neighbours to the south, USA, the Canucks make no bones about their bruising rivalry with the Americans, defending Olympic champions and number one on the FIFA/Coca-Cola Women's World Ranking. The Canadians, currently ranked ninth in the world, will be desperate to outshine their big regional rivals in Beijing this summer.

"We are not quite up to the US's level just yet," she admitted. "But we are closing the gap considerably. We play each other a lot and it's hard to take them to overtime in one game and then lose 6-0 in another. It's important for us to get more consistent"

Korea prep

To that end, they head off on Wednesday to Korea Republic to take part in the upcoming Peace Queen Cup. Sinclair cannot wait for the tournament to start. "It's a good chance for us to get ready and to get our team firing," she said

Although Sinclair has stated that it would be "nice" to hit the mark of 100 goals for Canada, which looks a foregone conclusion given her young age and seemingly insatiable hunger for goals, the captain is a modest and humble footballer seemingly unconcerned with personal status and records.

"I try to be a leader by example," she told FIFA.com. "I'm not the most vocal but I always give my all and I think the message gets across."

With guts, modesty and a sharp eye for goal, Sinclair will be leading by example when the Beijing finals kick off this summer.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Even Pelerud announces Canada's greatest male or female player ever....to FIFA.com.

I think it was more an expression of his personal opinion than an absolute declaration which your post implies.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I think it was more an expression of his personal opinion than an absolute declaration which your post implies.

Of course its his personal opinion, and every single word of the post was from FIFA.com ...his words... his opinion as National Team Coach ... that she is the greatest player in the history of Canadian soccer, male or female.

Pretty definitive statement, but does anyone else hold the same view ?

What about you Richard, is Sinclair Canadas greatest player ever ?

I have great admiration for Sinclair as a player, her skills are really a level above most women players.

However, she has to make her mark in a big tournament to earn that title. Hooper carried the team on her back in 2003 getting Canada to the 2003 WWC semi-finals. Sinclair hasn't had that major game that is the mark of a champion.

Hooper is number one on the ladies side - I don't think anyone can argue that fact at this point. Sinclair IMO is not quite of that caliber, many of her goals while still goals have been scored against soccer minnows and while she scores a ton she gets three tons of chances as well - having said that at 24 she still has a couple of years left to prove me wrong.

I think Charmaine Hooper's record on the field speaks for itself when it comes to Canada's best ever player. Christine Sinclair has a way to go on that front, she may well be the best of the current core group however. I think Andrea Neil is ahead of Charmaine Hooper in terms of best ever on and off the field in my opinion.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

Sinclair IMO is not quite of that caliber, many of her goals while still goals have been scored against soccer minnows

And Hooper's weren't? I seem to remember a 23-0 drubbing of Puerto Rico in which Hooper potted a couple. (Canada's 3rd-all-time leading scorer, Silvana Burtini, scored eight in that game.) There were a lot more minnows in Hooper's heyday than there are now. The only reason Hooper didn't score more against them is that, at the time, Canada was one of the minnows.

The real reason Hooper didn't score more goals is that, in the years when when Hooper's skills should have been their peak, Canada hardly ever played. By the time Hooper turned 24 (Sinclair's current age), the Canadian Women's team had only played 20 games. Ever.

I think Sinclair is the most skilled player who has ever played for Canada.

But Hooper was the greatest player. It's the way she played the game. In addition to her skills with the ball, Hooper possessed a fierceness of will and competitiveness that was both inspiring to her teammates and intimidating to her opponents.

The telling difference between the two is that if Sinclair isn't scoring goals, you can forget she's in the game. Not so with Hooper. You always noticed Hooper. She was a formidable presence even when she didn't score.

It's Hooper's sheer force of will that I think Sinclair lacks. Part of it is her personality. When you see her off the field, Sinclair seems reserved - shy even. That natural reserve shows on the field sometimes. She sometimes fades into the background when the team needs her to step up and lead. No doubt, as she gains age and experience, the leadership skills that are expected of her will begin to come more naturally. But at this point, I just don't think Sinclair demands quite enough from herself. Or from her teammates.

She reminds me of Mario Lemieux in a way. Her skill is undeniable. Sinclair makes the extraordinary seem easy. Perhaps, to her, it is easy. And perhaps that's the problem.

Easy was never a word you could use to describe Hooper. That's why she still ranks number one, in my mind.

quote:Originally posted by Chet

I think Sinclair is the most skilled player who has ever played for Canada.

But Hooper was the greatest player. It's the way she played the game. In addition to her skills with the ball, Hooper possessed a fierceness of will and competitiveness that was both inspiring to her teammates and intimidating to her opponents.

The telling difference between the two is that if Sinclair isn't scoring goals, you can forget she's in the game. Not so with Hooper. You always noticed Hooper. She was a formidable presence even when she didn't score.

It's Hooper's sheer force of will that I think Sinclair lacks. Part of it is her personality. When you see her off the field, Sinclair seems reserved - shy even. That natural reserve shows on the field sometimes. She sometimes fades into the background when the team needs her to step up and lead. No doubt, as she gains age and experience, the leadership skills that are expected of her will begin to come more naturally. But at this point, I just don't think Sinclair demands quite enough from herself. Or from her teammates.

She reminds me of Mario Lemieux in a way. Her skill is undeniable. Sinclair makes the extraordinary seem easy. Perhaps, to her, it is easy. And perhaps that's the problem.

Easy was never a word you could use to describe Hooper. That's why she still ranks number one, in my mind.

I think your right on most of your points when she gets shy in the game ...and that seems to happen against strong teams .. she disappears and you essentialy see her hide on the field.

The thing that shocks me is its clear she is shy and reserved and I doubt she can really speak to her team in way a captian needs to speak in order to get the team moving in ways a coach cannot.

I was never comfortable with her being a team captain ..and i am still not, to me she should be best used as mid game substitution to many times to my eye she seems to die by mid game, and her effectiveness drops.. it would be interesting to track just when she scores in games.

I have the same comment re Lang regarding fading, but in Langs case I think she shows a higher work rate the does Sinclair.

July 20 should tell us a lot about how they are playing.

Comparing eras always difficult:

Hoopers Top Five Teams scored against:

US: 10

Jamaica: 9

Costa Rica: 7

Australia: 6

Mexico: 5

Sinclair's Top Five:

Jamaica: 11

Mexico: 8

US: 7

Japan: 5

New Zealand 5

Both scored four against China, Sweden, Haiti while Sinclair adds four more against Denmark and Hooper four vs Trinidad & Tobago.

Hooper goals against 19 different countries while Sinclair has nothced against 27 different nations.

What does it prove? Nothing IMO I still give the edge to Hooper for all the reasons Chet mentions and stick by what I originally said Hooper proved it against the best more often than Sinclair has SO FAR.

I think it should be remembered that the international women's game has changed dramatically over the past ten years or so. It is far more competitive now than it was in Hooper's day when Canada pretty much dominated along with the USA. That's not the case any more so beware comparing apples with oranges.

I don't know what greatest player ever is, but I doubt it's goals scored. That method cuts out everyone else on the field but a striker.

Hooper played for Canada for decades, changed the women's program off the field by demanding better conditions, starred in pro leagues around the world, played in a few World All-Star games (including MVP), transitioned to defence and made the WWC Technical Committee best 11 at it, is a FIFA ambassador for the game, etc.

Christine Sinclair is a great young player who had a stellar college career and has scored a lot of goals. But she hasn't yet learned to do it when the chips are down (like someone said, she's 24). Hopefully she'll continue to mentally develop and make her mark under pressure. I think perhaps a new coach and some of the good young attackers we have coming up will push her.

And call me crazy, but in all the games I've watched lately, I'm not even convinced she's our best player right now. We have a number of great players out there across the field, and it will be interesting to see what changes in our team dynamics a new coach/system will bring about.

Lets be more accurate about using the word "great". We currently dont have any great players on our team, we have a couple of very good players who may or may not become "great" including Sinclair.

Hooper was a great player and their are other great players on other teams but not ours presently.

It reminds me of how the leaf scouts, writers and fans call some of their current and past players "great" their kidding right? Only one player Sundin, is even close and like Sinclair the leafs Kaberle may become "great". That is why the leafs suck so lets not catch that bad habit of over estimating and labeling players unreasonably as "great".

quote:Originally posted by fan

Lets be more accurate about using the word "great". We currently dont have any great players on our team, we have a couple of very good players who may or may not become "great" including Sinclair.

Hooper was a great player and their are other great players on other teams but not ours presently.

It reminds me of how the leaf scouts, writers and fans call some of their current and past players "great" their kidding right? Only one player Sundin, is even close and like Sinclair the leafs Kaberle may become "great". That is why the leafs suck so lets not catch that bad habit of over estimating and labeling players unreasonably as "great".

Just remember where the analyis and words come from .. the WNT coach..makes you wonder ... does it not ?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I think Charmaine Hooper's record on the field speaks for itself when it comes to Canada's best ever player. Christine Sinclair has a way to go on that front, she may well be the best of the current core group however. I think Andrea Neil is ahead of Charmaine Hooper in terms of best ever on and off the field in my opinion.

Not shared by me. No comparison at all. Hooper is an icon. Neil a cheerleader.

Hooper may be an icon in your eyes. I take more than ability to kick the ball into account when making my assessment of 'greatness'. To be truly great you must be outstanding on the field in terms of playing ability and off the field with your manner and behaviour. Taking all that into account Andrea Neil scores higher than Charmaine Hooper.

I would vote for Clare Rustad she is obviously the "greatest" player if not her then surely Emily Zurer is truly a "great" player if not on the field these two women sure are off the field.

I can not beleive FIFA has not honoured these two but chose Hooper maybe FIFA doesnt know these girls off the field. I know Sepp Blatter wants to know them off the field and oh yeah he wants them to wear tighter shorts.

Thats also why I consider Josh Simpson a "great" player and "de Rosario" a distant second I was going to say "de Vos" but these two really burnt their britches off the field, mouthing off about how the CSA was incompetent and stuff.

Can you guys imagine my hall of fame or all star games?

So to recap Richard and I have Andrea Neil, Clare Rustad, and Emily Zurer not necessarily in that order though.

Not!

Archived