Presentation & Team Practice........

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Ok its up, I must warn the quality it terrible as it went: Widescreen HD->DVD recorder via AV cable->DVD rip to AVI->Youtube conversion

Thanks for posting it, piltdownman.

Just out of curiousity, who were the upstanding gentlemen standing beside Julian when they did the photo op with the "red & white forever" banner?

quote:Originally posted by Metro

Thanks for posting it, piltdownman.

Just out of curiousity, who were the upstanding gentlemen standing beside Julian when they did the photo op with the "red & white forever" banner?

That's nazz and Zach?

Dale Mitchell was just interviewed on the Soccer Show on Fan590.

DM confirms that Friend was sent home to get his back rested so he is ready for pre-season training with his club team.

Hastings is also out for this game with a groin issue.

There will be no emergency callups. they will play with 16 players. Odd decision in my books but c'est la vie.

DM said the team is pleased with ticket sales for this event. Exact quote is "most of the tickets have been sold". Of course, that could mean anything but I'm hopeful that there are 10,000+ in attendance.

the team loves Stade Saputo and wants all their WCQ games played there. there is an article in the National Post where the players are basically saying that they are putting their foot down and expect the CSA to listen to their demands to play all WCQ at Stade Saputo. Let's see if the CSA is listening. It's clear they dont want to play at BMO.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=599723

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Dale Mitchell was just interviewed on the Soccer Show on Fan590.

DM confirms that Friend was sent home to get his back rested so he is ready for pre-season training with his club team.

There will be no emergency callups. they will play with 16 players. Odd decision in my books but c'est la vie.

DM said the team is pleased with ticket sales for this event. Exact quote is "most of the tickets have been sold". Of course, that could mean anything but I'm hopeful that there are 10,000+ in attendance.

the team loves Stade Saputo and wants all their WCQ games played there. there is an article in the National Post where the players are basically saying that they are putting their foot down and expect the CSA to listen to their demands to play all WCQ at Stade Saputo. Let's see if the CSA is listening. It's clear they dont want to play at BMO.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=599723

Yay for us who live here... not so yay for you guys who don't...

quote:"Unfortunately, we can't do too much, but we can do something that maybe could cause a lot of problems if we do what we say we might do. But we are hoping the CSA will come around and help us achieve what we want to achieve in terms of qualifying.

What do you think this is that Sutton is suggesting they "might do" ??

Pretty bold statements by De Guzman and Sutton. Players obviously aren't afraid to speak out against the CSA these days, what with DeRosario (and some other player, forgot who) making comments to the media the other week.

I think that the solution is staring everyone in the face - put real grass in at BMO. Bite the bullet, and stop renting it out to every Tom, Dick and Jane to play on. Only professionals should be playing on our supposed national stadium.

And as for the actual article... "Totenham United"? Sheesh.

I'm curious to see how the CSA deals with this issue. I hope they support the players' wishes.

I think the players are threatening to pull out of matches if they aren't at Saputo. I love this!

Screw the CSA! Have the matches at Saputo, have Mr. Saputo help promote them and build a strong fan base there. MLSE will get the message and put in grass when they realize the $$$ they are missing out on.

I think the players have formed a sort of union, I think Julian wouldn't mind playing in Toronto as he has a huge following/entourage there but I think everyone not from Toronto feels very strongly about playing in Montreal. Good stuff, the players seem like they are a strong group of friends and are all together focused on one goal, this will hopefully transfer to the pitch

Guess that Hainault will take his spot but I would love to see Brennan try out that spot b/w Kluk and Serioux.

Playing our first WCQ game at home for years while shortstaffed is just ludicrous. Having time between Sunday to Wednesday t call guys and not calling would be hard to understand but Sunday to Friday? We could call in a couple guys. As some of mentioned, there are eligable players sitting at home Friday night in Montreal and Toronto thinking WTF? Heck, call Grande in to sit on the bench at least. Sheeeshh!!

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

I think the players are threatening to pull out of matches if they aren't at Saputo. I love this!

Screw the CSA! Have the matches at Saputo, have Mr. Saputo help promote them and build a strong fan base there. MLSE will get the message and put in grass when they realize the $$$ they are missing out on.

I think the players have formed a sort of union, I think Julian wouldn't mind playing in Toronto as he has a huge following/entourage there but I think everyone not from Toronto feels very strongly about playing in Montreal. Good stuff, the players seem like they are a strong group of friends and are all together focused on one goal, this will hopefully transfer to the pitch

You know I love a good mutiny as much as the next guy but I'm not so sure there is much the players can do at this point which will effect what happens in Round 3, the group phase, without slitting their own throats as it were. The Hex sure, but it may be too late for what comes next.

Unless this grumbling has been going on full force behind the scenes for quite some time (and that's why we haven't heard or seen a schedule for next rounds group matches yet) the CSA already knows where our next three matches will be played and organization for such may be well underway.

Montreal? Toronto? Makes no difference to me really except Saputo better bloody well put some bleachers up in that open end or do whatever to increase the capacity of the venue or else.

And no giving tickets away on the cheap to soccer mommies. Not in a low capacity park.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Guess that Hainault will take his spot but I would love to see Brennan try out that spot b/w Kluk and Serioux.

Playing our first WCQ game at home for years while shortstaffed is just ludicrous. Having time between Sunday to Wednesday t call guys and not calling would be hard to understand but Sunday to Friday? We could call in a couple guys. As some of mentioned, there are eligable players sitting at home Friday night in Montreal and Toronto thinking WTF? Heck, call Grande in to sit on the bench at least. Sheeeshh!!

I was thinking that at least they could call Placentino as an emergency sub off the bench, he looked good against TFC and he is in town. Him or Peters who has trained with the team and is presumably in TO.

If players are thinking of pulling out of WCQ over playing on a artificial surface with the best team we've had in our history...I would not support the players. Thats unbelievable really. Its just playing surface. I know complaining openly about the CSA is in style these days, but know how to pick your battles. That is incredibly childish and selfish if thats what they're thinking about. No doubt this is Stalteri leading the charge (knob).

One really has to question where some of these guys heads are at ?

What happens if they play on artificial surface again in CR ? And Commonwealth has grass ?

I think we get their point about playing somewhere to minimize travel time and wanting a natural surface. But now is not the time to start making public veiled threats.

It should be interesting, because I don't think it's any secret that the games are going to TO, Montreal and Edmonton.

Could there be a compromise ? How about two in Montreal and one in Edmonton ?

quote:Originally posted by DigzTFC

If players are thinking of pulling out of WCQ over playing on a artificial surface with the best team we've had in our history...I would not support the players. Thats unbelievable really. Its just playing surface. I know complaining openly about the CSA is in style these days, but know how to pick your battles. That is incredibly childish and selfish if thats what they're thinking about. No doubt this is Stalteri leading the charge (knob).

Don't think I could disagree more.

You want to keep beating your head against a wall go right ahead. The CSA has shown time and again (and again and again) it's immune to public criticism. If public criticism and a horrible track record isn't reason enough to make the CSA adjust how it handles WCQing in this country then either you accept that or you try something different.

From the rumours that have been posted on this forum WCQ2010 in Canada looks like it's going to be treated exactly like WCQ2006 was and WCQ2002 was etc. Is that good enough?

How can the CSA expect to be taken serious when they mouth off about being committed to qualifying for the WC when all the while they're repeating the same patterns which have seen us fail miserably time after time?

And I wouldn't call the players childish. Far from it. Any player who says "enough" and opens himself up to ever lasting criticism has more bottle than any of those CSA board-room muppets who's 1st concern is their own little patch and acquiring the prestige of having a WCQ played in their little fiefdom. I look around our current group of players and "childish" does not seem a trait instilled in any one of them. Seems to me they've come around to our side and put their necks on the line to do so.

You don't have to go on strike to instigate change. Sometimes the threat is enough. But you've got to pick your battles and this is a good one. The "childish, selfish, sulking" label won't hang on the players very long given the CSA's track record of mismanagement.

Agreed with Cheeta.

If they player strongly feel that they have the best chance of qualifying for WC2010 by playing all their home matches in Montreal, then that's good enough for me. And if the CSA supports the team, then it should be good enough for them too.

The CSA staff are ultimately there to support the players, not the other way around.

Yes,

but the CSA (I don't work for them) can't be held at ransom for a venue. If they comply then all is well and good. What happens if they play in Toronto which they are contractually obligated to do? Do players refuse to play then great up qualifying over getting their way? I think this team has a lot of quality both in character and talent, but if they should be focused on the team they're playing not the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by DigzTFC

Yes,

I think this team has a lot of quality both in character and talent, but if they should be focused on the team they're playing not the CSA.

That's it in nutshell. Especially when it is taken public.

At some point this WILL become a negative distraction for the team. It may not have an impact vs St Vincent, but it has the potential to turn into a real festering sore point that will impact the team. Particularly since there is a contract with BMO.

If I were the CSA at this point, I would play two matches at Saputo, and play Mexico in Edmonton. They aren't travelling from Europe to Edmonton, and Edmonton's match will be in October. The Mexican's won't like that cold ! It's also not artificial surface (although not a great surface). The CSA can also correctly point out that Canada consists of more than Toronto and Montreal, and historically the best support has come from Edmonton. One game out West for the fans in the frozen tundra !

By playing two matches at Saputo, it shows the players that they are listening. Montreal is a short distance from TO, so it's an ideal location for fans from TO. And Mexico in Edmonton makes sense for October. Not to mention it could be a huge crowd if the game means anything.

Really, BMO is not much bigger than Saputo. It's a short commute for TO fans to Montreal. The CSA should tell BMO to install naural grass. If BMO puts the gun to the CSA's head, then it shows the players who the real bad guy is, and shows the players they are trying.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

If I were the CSA at this point, I would play two matches at Saputo, and play Mexico in Edmonton. They aren't travelling from Europe to Edmonton, and Edmonton's match will be in October. The Mexican's won't like that cold !

Once again though, the first home match for Canada is on the evening of Wednesday August 20th, when the Impact have also scheduled a home match. The players need to take their demands to Joey Saputo and the USL if they want that game played there, because it can only happen if the Impact game is re-scheduled.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Once again though, the first home match for Canada is on the evening of Wednesday August 20th, when the Impact have also scheduled a home match. The players need to take their demands to Joey Saputo and the USL if they want that game played there, because it can only happen if the Impact game is re-scheduled.

Or a double header, but the Impact probably has distributed 5k (seasons) + 2-3k (groups) tickets for that game by now...

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Which is actually good if they hold on to them. What's the saying, "My enemy's enemy is my friend?" Better ten thousand soccer moms than ten thousand Mexicans.

That's the Jamaica game.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Or a double header, but the Impact probably has distributed 5k (seasons) + 2-3k (groups) tickets for that game by now...

I didn't think FIFA allowed double-headers with official FIFA matches, hence TFC having to vacate BMO Field for six weeks last year. In any event, a double-header on a Wednesday night?

Archived