georg

From KW Record

Kitchener's Edgar spends down time watching Euro '08

http://news.therecord.com/Sports/article/367647

June 16, 2008

Josh Brown

RECORD STAFF

KITCHENER

The European Cup couldn't have come at a better time for David Edgar.

After all, the Newcastle United defender is recovering from hernia surgery and has been told to take it easy. Sitting on a stool at his local watering hole and watching some of the world's best countries play the Beautiful Game is just the right pace.

"I picked Netherlands to win it all," he said recently while catching a match at the Edelweiss Tavern.

The Kitchener native is on the tail end of his annual off-season trip home. He's walking a little gingerly after having surgery about a month ago. The nagging injury reared its head in March but he waited until the end of the English Premier League season to go under the knife.

"I would wake up and it was sore but I would stretch it out, I'd train and I'd play," he said. "Afterwards I'd literally be lying on the couch and I couldn't get up. And then it would be fine again in a day or two.

"I knew it was sore and that eventually I'd get it operated on."

The injury isn't considered too serious and he expects to be up and ready in time for the Magpies' training camp later this summer. But it does mean that Edgar won't be able to compete with Canada's men's national squad in its early qualification matches for the 2010 World Cup.

Head coach Dale Mitchell and his staff had contacted Edgar with intentions of adding him to the roster but the 21-year-old passed because of his ailing groin.

That didn't stop him from following the lads as they nearly upset Brazil, losing a friendly 3-2 in an impressive showing last month.

"I watched the Brazil game and it killed me," he said.

"At the time I thought it would be good to enjoy the summer and have it off. But when you see the team play, you want to be out there. It's probably the most exciting time for Canada's men's team."

Edgar's roller-coaster ride with Newcastle ended on an upswing. After busting out with a memorable goal in his first home game against mighty Manchester United more than a year ago, the swift back seemed lost in the shuffle and a mainstay on Newcastle's reserve squad.

But new skipper Kevin Keegan took over the reins in January and took a liking to Edgar.

The gaffer inserted the youngster into the lineup for several games down the stretch and the defender proved he could hang with the big boys.

"He (Keegan) basically told me that it's up to me in pre-season," Edgar said of his role for the upcoming campaign. "He's going to give me a chance and that's all I've ever asked for and wanted. He's old school football. Whoever is the best plays."

Edgar is entering the final year of his two-year pact with the club and hopes to extend his deal.

"If I don't have a new contract by Christmas time I'll have to look elsewhere. I'm not sitting until my contract runs out at the end of next summer. I want to stay with Newcastle but I want them to tell me in advance if I'm not getting one (or not) so I can go elsewhere."

jbrown@therecord.com

"Head coach Dale Mitchell and his staff had contacted Edgar with intentions of adding him to the roster but the 21-year-old passed because of his ailing groin."

That is pretty big news, IMHO...glad that DM agreed with the opinion that many shared on here about Edgar desrerving to at least attend some of these camps (over a Cann, at least), with the view towards moving into a full-time spot down the road.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

"Head coach Dale Mitchell and his staff had contacted Edgar with intentions of adding him to the roster but the 21-year-old passed because of his ailing groin."

That is pretty big news, IMHO...glad that DM agreed with the opinion that many shared on here about Edgar desrerving to at least attend some of these camps (over a Cann, at least), with the view towards moving into a full-time spot down the road.

I agree. I could not see him being second fiddle to Cann.

Archived