Call Hoillet? (If Radz or Friend are injured)

Keegan

Dale and Hart should talk to him, tell him what is going on. We have extremely talented players, some good players who he played against this year (McKenna, Friend, Simpson, Bernier).

Tell him our expectations and the opportunity he will be given

No way would this kid committ so early. I hate to say it guys, but its the reality Canadian Soccer deals with. We are really the last resort for most players. It makes me sad that people won't represent their own country for fame in fortune....but thats modern football.[V]

quote:Originally posted by DigzTFC

He hasn't represented Canada at any level so far....any level. Its more likely that we will get Lensky if Radzinski's hurt.

Lensky would be good but does he even play for Feyenoord? If not grab Will Johnson

He hasn't represented Canada at any level so far....any level. Its more likely that we will get Lensky if Radzinski's hurt.

Lensky would be good but does he even play for Feyenoord? If not grab Will Johnson

I think it would be smart to cap a promising young player like Hoillet right now - the series with SVG looks won and at a worst case the CSA gets to evaluate him. I don't know anything about his family background, ie other nations he could turn out for. Presumably England in a few more years but I can't see that carrot being dangled at this point in his career.

Great idea.

We are starting to think like a bunch of mercenary managers. Good to see! We need to think of these things before someone else does. I don't think it will happen. At that age he has a lot of time to make his decisions and will probably be non-comital. On the other hand it never hurts to ask and let him know we are interested.

With a 3 goal lead and playing well I'd say rest all the injured and start the bench for 5 or 6 players. We will still have enough to win 1-0 or 2-0 and get through this round.

i think oo has to be the obvious choice if we do indeed need to call in another striker - true that if friend or gerba were to take knocks then we could use ddr or radz but they are playing positions elsewhere and mitchell would need to change formations/strategy to do that - i say if there is any doubt at all about friend's health then call oo tomorrow morning

Guest Jeffery S.

If you don't need to call anyone in just leave it, don't make more waves than necessary.

In any case you have to go for those high up on the depth chart out of respect for them, like Hume, Occean. Even Lombardo is more deserving even though he may not do much, as it is not a question of needing the result, it is a question of building on the team spirit and cohesion and including people who can really help you sometime along the way, giving them that boost of a call-up even though they are not in the original one.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

If you don't need to call anyone in just leave it, don't make more waves than necessary.

In any case you have to go for those high up on the depth chart out of respect for them, like Hume, Occean. Even Lombardo is more deserving even though he may not do much, as it is not a question of needing the result, it is a question of building on the team spirit and cohesion and including people who can really help you sometime along the way, giving them that boost of a call-up even though they are not in the original one.

Lombardo higher than Hoillet on the depth chart? I don't think so. Hoillet plays at a equal or higher level and gets more time and has actually scored and made plays.

IF someone is needed to cover for an injured Friend, what about Ornoch???

I am pretty sure he's in the T.O. area these days (before heading back to Europe in a few weeks) and he performed quite well for Canada at the U23's. He's capable of providing some forward depth.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I am pretty sure he's in the T.O. area these days (before heading back to Europe in a few weeks) and he performed quite well for Canada at the U23's. He's capable of providing some forward depth.

I agree but Ornoch is a midfielder not a striker. We had no strikers for that tournament so we used him. If we did call him up I agree it would be a good move.

Calling up Ornoch for a middie spot then move DeRo or Hutchinson to forward is another option.

I was really impressed by Ornoch at the U23s, despite not scoring he was easily our 2nd best player behind Johnson. He had some really good moves step overs and nutmegs and could consistently beat his man vs. all teams we faced. Should have drawn a penalty vs. Haiti but not call and he also hit the cross bar that game and set up Johnson's goal vs. Mexico

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

It sounds from that article which clarified that Ugo was Nogo for us that they are taking all 18 players to Montreal. Doesn't sound like any of the injuries are serious.

Cap Hoillet for the game in Montreal. If he balks, sayonara and good luck making that England or Germany or whatever squad.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Yep, I like Keegan`s idea....

Upon further deliberation, agreed. Hoilett is raw. But he REALLY needs to be capped as he is a cut above our current crop of U20's I think.

I don't understand this specualtion that the kid is a flight risk? I don't think he has a second nationality, at least not UK. That's the whole reason he would have to be loaned out to Germany in the first place. If he had a British passport he could have played professionally before his 18th birthday in one of the lower English leagues. And I don't think he's ever turned down an invite for Canada that we know of, has he?

Well unless the CSA are complete idiots, neither brother has ever represented Canada. I'm going to go ahead and say that the kid will jump ship if he can. Jonathan De Guzman never represented Canada at any level....and the result was not favourable. Julian did and he stayed in the system. Generally guys who went through the system are the ones that stay in the system. I think Lensky will stick with Canada but guys like Hoillet and Silva will leave. I hope the flourish and join the reveolution in Canadian soccer, but like most will converts (Fernandez, Vittoria and probably de Guzman) will jump ship for brighter lights with a shorter future.

The issue is we need to start integrating kids at a young age into the senior side. I look at Spain and think they will take it all this year with all the gifted youth. We need Hoillet, de Guzman and other young starlets to come to our camp and start gelling with the other players. 25 is too late to start being called up in my opinion. Right now Canada has had the same team playing with each other for a long time, so dispite the lack of games per year, they are a pretty tight unit. Our defence needs to be shored up and Edgar needs to be called immediately.

Well unless the CSA are complete idiots, neither brother has ever represented Canada. I'm going to go ahead and say that the kid will jump ship if he can. Jonathan De Guzman never represented Canada at any level....and the result was not favourable. Julian did and he stayed in the system. Generally guys who went through the system are the ones that stay in the system. I think Lensky will stick with Canada but guys like Hoillet and Silva will leave. I hope the flourish and join the reveolution in Canadian soccer, but like most will converts (Fernandez, Vittoria and probably de Guzman) will jump ship for brighter lights with a shorter future.

The issue is we need to start integrating kids at a young age into the senior side. I look at Spain and think they will take it all this year with all the gifted youth. We need Hoillet, de Guzman and other young starlets to come to our camp and start gelling with the other players. 25 is too late to start being called up in my opinion. Right now Canada has had the same team playing with each other for a long time, so dispite the lack of games per year, they are a pretty tight unit. Our defence needs to be shored up and Edgar needs to be called immediately.

The Hoillet brothers have turned down calls. Could be because of travel costs for meaningless tournaments and matches.

Good thing is that Edgar is cap tied to us, although he would never become a traitor. Who is this Silva who may jump ship? Is he even good enough to jump ship? Never heard of him

Archived