Brian Budd passes away

I actually played with him, and he was as joyful a soul as you'll ever meet.

I was watching the Euro today, and the non-footballers I was watching with commented repeatedly on how stiff Rauter, Forrest and Howard were. They said it was like they were political commentators. I echo'd their sentiments and longed for his animation and passion for what was going on. He was always fun to be around and had an infectious love for the game.

No sooner had I thought it than the screen told me I would never get to see what I longed for ever again. Such a tragic loss for us all, and especially his family.

We can all dream of a life so special.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Is there a way we could get something similar to this for the St.V game.

I'll see about bringing whatever banner we settle on to the St. V game.

Here's the CSA release about this sad story:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3214

Players In The News

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Superstar Budd passes away

Brian Budd 1952-2008

Profile : Brian Budd

Brian Budd, former national-team player, has passed away. He was 56. A member of Canada’s 1978 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers™ campaign, he was a big supporter of the game throughout his life. He most recently worked as a soccer analyst on The Score television network.

Mr. Budd scored two goals in six games for Canada in the 1976-77 campaign. The team was ultimately knocked out in the 1977 CONCACAF Nations Cup final, finishing fourth in the six-team group with a 2-1-2 record. México finished first. Back in 1977, only one CONCACAF team advanced to the 16-team 1978 FIFA World Cup Argentina™ final.

At the professional level, Mr. Budd played for his hometown Vancouver Whitecaps, the Colorado Caribou, the Toronto Blizzard and the Houston Hurricane in the old North American Soccer League. He also played for Ayr United and MISL teams Cleveland Force and Baltimore Blast.

Alongside his football career, Mr. Budd received international acclaim by winning the World Superstars competition three times (1978-1980). He was a four-time champion in the Canadian Superstars competition (1977-1980). After three world titles, the World Superstars competition did not allow him to compete in 1981.

Mr. Budd was born on 8 April 1952 in Toronto, ON. He grew up in Vancouver, BC. He was 24 years old when he won his first of seven caps with Canada’s senior team - a 1:0 win over México on 10 October 1976 in Vancouver. Mr. Budd passed away on 11 June 2008.

The Canadian soccer community sends its condolences to Mr. Budd’s family. Mr. Budd is survived by his wife Brenda, a son and a daughter.

What a shock! He was such a character on TV (hard to believe he was Canadian). I think we (Canada) need a few more passionate,animated and colourful broadcasters like him to help sell the game of soccer in Canada.

I remember when I was a young soccer player he entered and won the superstars competition and was proclaimed as the best all around athlete in Canada and then internationally. Most of my friends (who played hockey) never thought a "soccer player" would win this thing. Not only did he win it once but seemed to dominate year after year until they had to change the rules. So thank-you Brian Budd for giving the sport of soccer some respect in a hockey mad community.

You will be missed!

Archived