Brian Budd passes away

Sad and shocking news.

Brian Budd passes away

PETER MALLETT

Globe and Mail Update

June 12, 2008 at 10:05 AM EDT

One of Canada's first true soccer superstars, Brian (Budgie) Budd gained more fame and notoriety away from the soccer field than on the field at a time when the beautiful game was just starting to come of age in North America.

Budd died suddenly on Wednesday at the age of 56.

Read the rest of the article here: http://tinyurl.com/65havf

Quite shocking to read. And quite sad news.

Budd, moreso than any other soccer player in Canada, transcended soccer. Unlike other soccer players, his popularaity extended beyond the tradition soccer crowds and became well known through his personality and exploits as an all round athlete.

In addition to being an accomplished player with the Blizzard, he was several times champion of the Superstars competion not only nationally but the internation competition where he represted canada. As such, he arguably carried the crown as the worlds greatest athlete.

So young. No mention in the article what it was that did him in. A truly sad day. Like the article mentions he went way beyond soccer and was a remarkable athlete. I still remember the chin-up contest on The Superstar series, 47 chin-up in 60 seconds. He seemed to slow down around number 35.

I'm in shock at this one.

My condolences to his family. I recall he had a pretty young family for his age (which I can relate to). He brought a breath of fresh air to soccer coverage.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

So young. No mention in the article what it was that did him in. A truly sad day. Like the article mentions he went way beyond soccer and was a remarkable athlete. I still remember the chin-up contest on The Superstar series, 47 chin-up in 60 seconds. He seemed to slow down around number 35.

I'm in shock at this one.

For those who never got to see the Superstars competition, Budd distinguished himself against many if not all of the very best athleted in all sports in canada. And in teh world

To dominate that competition the way he did takes quite an accomplishment. There were many hockey players, football players, amateurs athletes, even Gilles Villeneuve was in it.

I admired his superstar achievements so much. That man made a lot out of what he was given. I had some personal contact with him on and off the park and always found him to be up and cheery. He was not my favourite commentator by a long shot but I admire him and I am truly sad to hear of this. I thought he brought some life to the broadcast and I never knew of any health problems with him so this is a surprise. Canada lost a good one.

Cheers Brian and yes my condolences to his family.

I heard about this late last night and it really saddened me. Brian was so full of life and energy, its somewhat shocking to think he's been taken so young.

Brian will be missed. My condolences go out to his family and friends who, I'm sure, will miss him dearly.

very sad to see someone pass on early, I'm fairly young so I mostly knew him from the score and he was the perfect foil to the other two, it always brought a smile to my face to see them all interupting each other but still enjoying themselves a great deal. Maybe next time Canada wins we can dedicate the match to him?

:(

Ah, man. WTF?

My old Gido would said "Live your life like you'd have fun at your own funeral and others will". That's meant to be a compliment if you follow.

That's the Budgie all over or I'll eat my hat.

We'll be setting aside the lager. It's all rum and cokes this weekend my bhoys.

To the Budgie. God bless.

Archived