CSA puts CMNT @ Super 8-Not True

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

So on the RPB Board it's being said that the Canadian players stayed at the Super 8 while the Brazilians stayed at a nice hotel.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=1792

I hope this is not true, if so the CSA has hit a new low...:(

I've seen some pictures of the players during the January camp in Florida/Martinique and it looks they stayed in a nice hotel. I would be surprise if that was true.

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

So on the RPB Board it's being said that the Canadian players stayed at the Super 8 while the Brazilians stayed at a nice hotel.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=1792

I hope this is not true, if so the CSA has hit a new low...:(

I thought that it was the home or receving team who pays for the accomodations of the visitors. if I am not mistaken, the promotor of this event ( or the brazilans) pays the tab for travel and accomodations. As far as I know, Canada was not the home side at this game.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Meh, I don't see what the big deal is here. A bed is a bed. As long as it was clean, with AC and running hot water what's the big deal?

Then you would have loved the Travelodge that we stayed in Miami ( the same one that the Haitian team stayed at) for the Gold Cup in 2002. :D

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I've seen some pictures of the players during the January camp in Florida/Martinique and it looks they stayed in a nice hotel. I would be surprise if that was true.

Yes, I agree one thing the CSA does do is put the players up in pretty nice places. In South Africa they stayed at a nice place, had a safari tour etc. probably too much partying on that trip led us to losing. In Estonia they looked to stay in a nice place. And yes in Martinique they pretty much stayed at a resort.

Not bad at all considering that Rosenborg a Champions League team had to have players share beds on one trip from a Lars video we saw.

quote:Originally posted by Rivaldo

No. They stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Seattle. I know because I stayed there too.

It was a pretty nice hotel, but the Brazilians probably had a little more luxury at the Hilton.

The way Brazil has been playing recently (not just against us, but also Venezuela), you might be forgiven for thinking they had too much luxury.....

I don't think that's exactly true. I remember Morgan Quarry saying that the CSA spends

on accommodations for its players, ever since the experience from the Confederations Cup.

The hosts usually takes care of the hotel, but if it's sub-par I don't think the players

nor the CSA would go for it. And if it's a Super 8 Hotel/Suites, it's pretty good.

(No room service though.)

Brazil? Well they do get a lot for appearance fees, so this hotel rider would not be

surprising. Even their "C" team demands a huge appearance fee.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

[Yes, I agree one thing the CSA does do is put the players up in pretty nice places. In South Africa they stayed at a nice place, had a safari tour etc. probably too much partying on that trip led us to losing. In Estonia they looked to stay in a nice place. And yes in Martinique they pretty much stayed at a resort.

Which is what worries me when we heard DeRo & De Guzman bash the CSA on the basis of the poor accomodations they have been provided with. If they keep staying at these nice hotels (and I've seen some of the facilities they have stayed at as well, including the one in Sunrise) what then, is the nature of the complaint?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Which is what worries me when we heard DeRo & De Guzman bash the CSA on the basis of the poor accomodations they have been provided with. If they keep staying at these nice hotels (and I've seen some of the facilities they have stayed at as well, including the one in Sunrise) what then, is the nature of the complaint?

I've never seen them bash the accommodations. More like the support and money for the men's program.

I caught up with the boys in Egypt in 2001. They stayed at the Swiss Hotel in Cairo and it was class all the way. And while I never actually hit their hotel when I was in Tallinn, from what I heard things were good again.

So yeah, from what I've seen their accomodations are always up to par.

quote:Originally posted by themodelcitizen

Can you elaborate? I remember the tourney well but never heard the story.

Gladly. IIRC, as we were in the same group as Japan (hosts), Brazil,

and Cameroon, we were the country that was designated to travel

a lot between cities, Canada was also forced to stay in lower

standard hotels with smaller (shorter?) beds, no English-language

TV (I guess that means no satellite), and apparently near noisy

areas. (Imagine Forrest, Onstad, and de Vos at over 6' and dealing

with short beds.)

Holger was not pleased, and probably set his mood for

the rest of the tournament, as evident with the Bircham thing.

in CK's blog on the Star, Morgan Quarry emailed him back re CK's comments about booking players on cheap flights and multiple connections:

A few blog posts ago, I tossed a grenade in the direction of the Canadian Soccer Association, calling them 'cheapskates' for not flying their players home for internationals on direct flights.

That prompted a response from Morgan Quarry, the manager of the Canadian men's team. He was upset by the shot and wanted to clear the air. He told me that that practise has not been in practise for several years, and that Canada does everything it can to get its players back by the quickest possible routes. Money is tight, but Quarry told me that players take direct flights were possible. Players who have to come from out of the way places - Ante Jazic when he played for Russian club Krasnodar was an example Quarry gave - get multiple legs, but do them in business class.

In a clear, even way, Quarry asked me to take it back. And since I have no reason to doubt a man of such evident good will, I do. Sorry, Morgan. He realizes that we will continue to agree to disagree on some of the CSA's other policies and practices, but it was nice to hear something spirited from someone attached to Canadian soccer. In my experience, that's been rare.

Here's Quarry's last word:

"I can tell you that it is a daily struggle to try to get the absolute most of out what we have (ed. meaning money) and to give the players every chance of realizing what we all want more than anything in the world Cathal and that is to qualify for the World Cup. Almost all of us have sacrificed virtually years of our loves and years away from our families for that dream and for that goal."

Gives you a bit of a chill, doesn't it?

http://thestar.blogs.com/starsportsblog/euro_2008/index.html

Hmmm....well that just leaves "lack of international matches" on that shopping list of things were being complained about in that article.

I still think "lack of home international matches" & the corresponding marketing of them is the more legitimate complaint.

Might be prudent to change the thread title as someone is likely to take note in passing and then some time down the road claim they read somewhere that the CMNT stay in Super 8's when on national team duty.

Archived