Roster for Florida camp

loyola

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3209

CANADA

1 Greg Sutton | G | Hamilton, ON | CAN / Toronto FC

2 Jim Brennan | D | East York, ON | CAN / Toronto FC

3 Mike Klukowski | D | Oshawa, ON | BEL / Club Brugge KV

4 André Hainault | D | Hudson, QC | CZE / Sparta Praha (on loan from FK SIAD Most)

5 Adrian Serioux | D/M| Scarborough, ON | USA / FC Dallas

6 Julian de Guzman | M | Scarborough, ON | ESP / Deportivo La Coruna

7 Paul Stalteri | D/M | Brampton, ON | ENG / Fulham FC (on loan from Tottenham Hotspur)

8 Marcel de Jong | D/M | Newmarket, ON | NED / Roda JC

9 Tomasz Radzinski | M/F | Toronto, ON | GRE / Skoda Xanthi

10 Ali Gerba | F | Montréal, QC | GER / FC Ingolstadt

11 Richard Hastings | D | Vancouver, BC | SCO / Inverness CT

12 Issey Nakajima-Farran | M | Calgary, AB | DEN / FC Nordsjælland

13 Atiba Hutchinson | M | Brampton, ON | DEN / F.C. København

14 Dwayne De Rosario | M/F | Scarborough, ON | USA / Houston Dynamo

15 Patrice Bernier | M | Brossard, QC | GER / FC Kaiserslautern

16 Rob Friend | F | Kelowna, BC | GER / Borussia Mönchengladbach

17 Ugo Ihemelu | D | USA / Colorado Rapids

19 Adrian Cann | D | Thornhill, ON | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps

18 Pat Onstad | G | Vancouver, BC | USA / Houston Dynamo

22 Joshua Wagenaar | G | Grimsby, ON | unattached

2 players must be cut for the SVG games. I say Wagenaar and Ihemelu will be ones. There you have our roster for SVG:

CANADA

4 André Hainault | D | Hudson, QC | CZE / Sparta Praha (on loan from FK SIAD Most)

7 Paul Stalteri | D/M | Brampton, ON | ENG / Fulham FC (on loan from Tottenham Hotspur)

quote:Originally posted by loyola

2 players must be cut for the SVG games. I say Wagenaar and Ihemelu will be ones. There you have our roster for SVG:

CANADA

I don't see Wagenaar listed, I think he's been already cut.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I don't see Wagenaar listed, I think he's been already cut.

He's listed. The list in my second post is the roster without Wagenaar and Ugo. The list in the first post includes Josh and Ugo.

According to Wikipedia, Ugo Ihemelu has been capped by the US against Norway. WTF??? Who is this guy? Any thoughts?

Wikipedia:

Ugochukwu (Ugo) Ihemelu (born April 3, 1983 in Enugu, Nigeria) is a Nigerian-American soccer defender, who is currently with the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer.

Ugo attended Cedar Hill High School in Cedar Hill, Texas, a suburb of Dallas. Ihemelu played college soccer at Southern Methodist University, and was named All-Missouri Valley Conference his junior and senior seasons. The Los Angeles Galaxy drafted him with the fifth overall pick of the 2005 MLS SuperDraft. He helped the Galaxy to the US Open Cup and MLS Cup double in his rookie season. After his second season in LA, on December 1, 2006, Ihemelu was traded to Colorado Rapids.

Ihemelu got his first cap for the United States on January 29, 2006, against Norway.

Themelu also hit the crossbar on Soccer AMs Crossbar challenge (Shown on March 29th)

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Anyone know what's the story on Hume?

I think he was reported as being injured.

I'm wondering what's going on with Occean. He's not having the best of season but has been a proven goalscorer at a good level.

Speaking of Hume missing (which could be due to injury or working on a transfer). We have some depth finally! We are missing a bunch to injury or other things (Hirschfeld, Occean, McKenna, Hume, Edgar, Nsaliwa, Simpson, Imhof). Then we have others who were called to the Gold Cup last year who have been knocked off the map completely such as Gervais, Ribiero, Nash and Harmse. We could make a couple XIs before we needed any of those guys now. Add to that players such as Begovic, D'Agostino, Johnson, Ledgerwood and Ornoch who could have been called too. Must cross our fingers that we remain healthy

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Anyone know what's the story on Hume?

Ankle injury suffered the last game of the season.

Ihemelu may have been cap-tied if the game against Norway was originally deemed an "A" international. It's possible that it has since been ruled a "B" international if one of the federations petitioned FIFA, making him uncap-tied (if such a word exists).

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Ankle injury suffered the last game of the season.

Ihemelu may have been cap-tied if the game against Norway was originally deemed an "A" international. It's possible that it has since been ruled a "B" international if one of the federations petitioned FIFA, making him uncap-tied (if such a word exists).

For what it's worth, the Norway-USA game of 2006 is listed in the archives of the FIFA website. I guess it's an A friendly.

I hope the CSA is very cautious about this because we don't want a play an ineligible player against SVG.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

For what it's worth, the Norway-USA game of 2006 is listed in the archives of the FIFA website. I guess it's an A friendly.

To add to the confusion, isn't/wasn't this Norway-USA friendly under a bit of controversy? Something to do with Lando's all time goals and whether or not this one counted as an A or B international.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

According to Wikipedia, Ugo Ihemelu has been capped by the US against Norway. WTF??? Who is this guy? Any thoughts?

Wikipedia:

Ugochukwu (Ugo) Ihemelu (born April 3, 1983 in Enugu, Nigeria) is a Nigerian-American soccer defender, who is currently with the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer.

Ugo attended Cedar Hill High School in Cedar Hill, Texas, a suburb of Dallas. Ihemelu played college soccer at Southern Methodist University, and was named All-Missouri Valley Conference his junior and senior seasons. The Los Angeles Galaxy drafted him with the fifth overall pick of the 2005 MLS SuperDraft. He helped the Galaxy to the US Open Cup and MLS Cup double in his rookie season. After his second season in LA, on December 1, 2006, Ihemelu was traded to Colorado Rapids.

Ihemelu got his first cap for the United States on January 29, 2006, against Norway.

Themelu also hit the crossbar on Soccer AMs Crossbar challenge (Shown on March 29th)

I have no idea how Ihemelu could be eligible for Canada. Maybe DM made a case for him being Serioux's long lost brother? -->

http://web.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t101&player=ihemelu_u&playerId=ihe415291&statType=current

I definitely think that Norway game was a B Friendly and not A

The US beat Norway 5-0 with all domestic players and one euro player (Heath Pearce). There is no way a US MLS team could crush Norway A that bad with Pedersen, Carew, Braaten and Riise. Plus I dont think Norway would go to the US to play a B team. add to that that it isn't in the archives of FIFA as stated earlier and there is no way this was a full international more like Canada's game vs. Martinique.

Funny, just when we started to think that our depth has improved, we go and pull a "Ugo" at the last minute. Can only assume that the CSA has cleared him with FIFA, before risking any defaults. Hopefully, a strong offense can be our best defense.

I'm surprised that Jamie Peters was dropped from the original roster. Thought that he (along with deJong) would have been a useful sub, if a late goal was needed.

Agreed with Ed, that Nik deserved to be included in these camps.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

I think its funny that that not long after I predicted this would be the first WCQ squad ever to NOT use USL players, our very first squad of qualifying looks likely to have one in Cann.

I don't know why Cann was called. The rest of the squad is a step above. Sure we are missing McKenna, Nsaliwa and Edgar but there are other options.

Really unnecessary, I'd rather have Jazic or Ledgerwood called since Brennan and Klukowski can play center back. So what role does Cann fill? I can't see us using him at CB if one goes down so why not call up a youngster?

McKenna is 28, Serioux is 29, Hastings is in his 30's. Does he fit with these guys? No.

The future CB pairing should be Hainault (the reincarnation of Tim Horton) and Edgar.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Well, he's already 28. I wouldn't say a bright future. He impressed me in the Caps games I've seen, but so has his replacement Chris Pozniak who, iirc, is one year younger and about 20 caps more experienced.

Well, that puts a different spin on things. I thought he was in his early 20s, more or less a contemporary to Hainault and Edgar. Nonetheless, I wish him a good camp: I said on one of the other threads here that injuries can sometimes give an opportunity for a newcomer to shine, so with McKenna and Edgar out he gets a chance to impress, but if we had a sudden injury crisis with our current CBs for the SVG series, surely DM would go with Brennan or Klukowski ahead of Cann?

What really needs to be changed in order to protect smaller soccer nations are some of the rules allowing eligibility for more than one association. If FIFA were to scrap Article 16 b, and c, a small country like Canada would benefit because we would not have lost players like Hargraeves and Fernandez due to their paternal or maternal heritage.

In the case of little DeGuzman, he went through the legitimate citizenship process in Holland and thus qualifies for them; however, the other two acted as mercenaries and this puts less powerful soccer countries at a distinct and unfair risk of losing top players. Had these FIFA articles not been in place, Canada would not have been allowed to include Marc Bircham.

In the case of Ihemelu, he was inviterd by Frank Yallop during the early WC 2008 campaign, but declined hoping to be included by the US. He seems to have been bypassed, and his US cap was, I believe, a B cap against Norway at the same time Canada played a B game against the USA. He is in much the same postion internationally as was Marcel De Jong.

Cheers!

Archived