Campaign: Bring Back The Blizzard on July 1

dbailey62

A campaign (albeit in its embryonic stage) has been started by myself, a magazine publisher, an insurrectionist ;) and a print reporter to convince the esteemed Paul Beirne and TFC to wear Toronto Blizzard uniforms for the July 1st Canada Cup match versus the Vancouver Whitecaps.

We have already received approval and encouragement from Joe Parolini, the owner of the Toronto Blizzard trademark so now we need your support from the grassroots level!

I am hoping that we can also add the Blizzard alumni to the event in order to honour the club that existed from 1979 to 1993.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto...ard_%28NASL%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto...281986-1993%29

Thanks for your support!

db

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I'm as much of a traditionalist as anyone, but...

Why would Toronto FC want to change its branding for this day? Isn't it already Canadian enough?

It's commemerative. It's recognition of those that came before.

It's a tribute to a team that played in this market for 14 years.

Why did the Raptors play in a Huskies shirt a few years back? It's a sign of respect for what came before.

You don't have to agree but many are over at U-Sector, Big Soccer and RPB.

Bit ironic that would be posted by Calgary Boomer. :) I think a key reason to highlight the past from time to time is simply to remind people that there actually is a past where pro soccer is concerned given an appeal to history will almost certainly be used as a PR weapon if the Argos ever try to barge their way into BMO Field. As far back as 1961, the likes of Sir Stanley Matthews, Johnny Haynes and Danny Blanchflower were playing for a Toronto team at Varsity Stadium so maybe recognition of the 50th anniversary of the founding of Toronto City and the ECPSL would be something worth lobbying for as well.

I think it's a good idea. We're in jeopardy of having CSL/NASL legacies totally forgotten and maybe this will remind some people that soccer's not actually new in Canada. I wonder how many people in Vancouver remember the 86ers, and wasn't Montreal called Supra at some point?

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Bit ironic that would be posted by Calgary Boomer. :) I think a key reason to highlight the past from time to time is simply to remind people that there actually is a past where pro soccer is concerned given an appeal to history will almost certainly be used as a PR weapon if the Argos ever try to barge their way into BMO Field. As far back as 1961, the likes of Sir Stanley Matthews, Johnny Haynes and Danny Blanchflower were playing for a Toronto team at Varsity Stadium so maybe recognition of the 50th anniversary of the founding of Toronto City and the ECPSL would be something worth lobbying for as well.

Absolutely! It's a shame that both George Gross and Steve Stavro are gone as they were both very involved with Toronto City.

We have to remind some that Toronto actually has a pro soccer tradition.

... and TFC should honour Metros-Croatia while Eusabio is still fit enough to come to Toronto.

I can understand those that would say those two clubs should be honoured before the Blizzard. It's chronologically correct afterall. In that regard though, so many who attend TFC matches did attend Blizzard / NASL matches at virtually the same location that it would mean more to more people to start with the Blizzard.

Anyway, it's all talk right now. If TFC isn't into it, it ain't gonna happen although perhaps if we backed off the jersey thing and made it a pre-match ceremony with alumni from the clubs walking out in replicas of their old uniforms, that could be achievable and the club could be more agreeable.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Anyway, it's all talk right now. If TFC isn't into it, it ain't gonna happen although perhaps if we backed off the jersey thing and made it a pre-match ceremony with alumni from the clubs walking out in replicas of their old uniforms, that could be achievable and the club could be more agreeable.

Gotta say that I think that's a much better idea for now. This is the first ever time TFC will play another Canadian team at BMO in a competitive match... I think wearing their own jerseys and creating some new history is important before we get into things like commemorative strips.

Though I was a (very young) Steelers fan in CSL days who definately didn't cheer for the Blizzard.

Mike.

Guest HamiltonSteelers
quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

Gotta say that I think that's a much better idea for now. This is the first ever time TFC will play another Canadian team at BMO in a competitive match... I think wearing their own jerseys and creating some new history is important before we get into things like commemorative strips.

Though I was a (very young) Steelers fan in CSL days who definately didn't cheer for the Blizzard.

This man is a genius.

Though I personally hated Vancouver far more (because they ALWAYS had our number and it drove me crazy).

Archived