All hail the CSA Whitecaps

fishman

CSA & Whitecaps FC

Canada's U-20 women's national team have gathered in Vancouver this week for the final selection camp before U-20 Women's World Cup qualifying later this month.

Vancouver Whitecaps head coach Bob Birarda, who also acts as the U-20 Canadian team head coach, will evaluate in this week's camp before selecting 20 players that will move on to Kelowna, BC, for final preparations ahead of the CONCACAF Women's Under-20 Championship in Puebla, Mexico, with the tournament running June 17 to 28.

Most of the group that are attending this week's camp come from Birarda's current Whitecaps W-League squad. In order to qualify for Chile 2008, Birarda's U-20 squad will need to be among the top-three teams in Mexico in order to qualify for the World Cup, which takes place in the South American nation from November 19 to December 7.

The player pool from which Birarda will select is comprised of 21 Whitecaps players and

Canada U-20 women (Vancouver Whitecaps FC players & staff SURNAMES IN CAPS)

Paige ADAMS - Port Coquitlam, BC

Julie ARMSTRONG - Delta, BC

Justine BERNIER - Oakville, ON

Myriam BOUCHARD - Beauport, QC

Taryne BOUDREAU - Edmonton, AB

Melissa Busque - St-Bruno-de-Montarville, QC

Allysha CHAPMAN - Courtice, ON

Jonelle FILIGNO - Mississauga, ON

Eden HINGWING - Burnaby, BC

Anoop JOSAN - Edmonton, AB

Kaylyn KYLE - Saskatoon, SK

Monica LAM-FEIST- Surrey, BC

Nicole Mailloux - Mississauga, ON

Lexi MARTONG - Aurora, ON

Erin MCNULTY - Winnipeg, MB

Mallory OUTERBRIDGE – Regina, SK

Stephanie PANOZZO - Maple Ridge, BC

Jodi-Ann ROBINSON - Richmond, BC

Tina ROMAGNUOLO - Stouffville, ON

Adrienne Ruhe-Lischke - Kitchener, ON

Karla SCHACHER - Tofield, AB

Sophie SCHMIDT - Abbotsford, BC

Chelsea STEWART – Faribault, MN

Shannon WOELLER - Vancouver, BC

Head Coach: Bob BIRARDA

Assistant Coach: Peter Malakoane

Goalkeeper coach: Raegyn HALL

Athletic Therapist: TBD

Manager: Anne Pellerud

I don't think anyone can deny the horrible optics of this...almost all of the information above comes from the Whitecaps website - I love how they state "most" of the players come from the Whitecaps roster. Most? Try 21 of 24!

The ongoing WNT / Kerfoot residency camp left the Whitecaps roster depleted, so Birarda used his U20 appointment to ensure that his W-League team was well stocked. What a shocking conflict of interest.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The ongoing WNT / Kerfoot residency camp left the Whitecaps roster depleted, so Birarda used his U20 appointment to ensure that his W-League team was well stocked. What a shocking conflict of interest."

You are intitled to your opinion. The program operates within the rules of the various soccer governing bodies otherwise it wouldn't exist. Those involved are trying to move the sport ahead for the female players, country, fans NSO & their home sides. Not everyone can afford to do this program they are doing so thanks to Kerfoot, the Caps, the players, the governing bodies & even the CSA for making it happen for the players & their fans

If there was a Canadian fully pro female league with the vision & commitment like the Caps all the players probably wouldn't be on one team. But I doubt that there will ever be a Canadian league like that so let the players play where they have the best opportunities in the current market place.

In the future, the Canadian W League teams especially the Caps could loose a lot of players to the WPS if they pay a decent wage. The WPS could also affect the NT program as players can't move back to the NT's as easily as they do now. Up side of the WPS will be the higher level of play, money, profile & etc that goes with a pro league. Hopefully the WPS's Pacific Northwest & Victoria connection of Steve Nash & Jeffrey Mallett along with Kerfoot & other Canadian W League owners will open the doors for the WPS to expand into Canada shortly.

Would the team be better prepared if they were spreadout all over the country and then called together for a one week camp right before the World Championships? We should be thankful for what we have because I don't see the CSA coming up with anything better.

A week? This is the U17 program:

- 10 day camp in Ottawa in June 2007

- 8 day camp in Alabama in August 2007

- 8 day camp in Florida in November 2007

- 9 day camp in March 2008 in Toronto including 3 games at BMO

- 11 day camp in April 2008 in Pennsylvania/Virginia

- 8? day preparation camp in Toronto July 2007

- 10 day CONCACAF tournament in July 2008 in Trinidad

- 10 day US college series in Florida in August 2008

- 10 day tournament in Columbia in September 2008

- 12 days prep camp in New Zealand

My math's not the greatest, but I count 100 days. Spread out and spaced properly for mental and physical recovery and building momentum.

quote:

Would the team be better prepared if they were spreadout all over the country and then called together for a one week camp right before the World Championships?

Even if it was just a week though... given the results of the comparable Whitecaps WNT situation - yes. Oh wait, I can't say Whitecaps, I mean Kerfoot.

Ok, 100 days is more than one week, but you can't beat working out every day with the same players.

Winnipeg just lost the National Men's Volleyball team to Quebec. The point is that the team has to play somewhere and since it's an outdoor sport the coast of BC is it for Canada. Remember they play their soccer in the winter and take the summer off.

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

You are intitled to your opinion. The program operates within the rules of the various soccer governing bodies otherwise it wouldn't exist. Those involved are trying to move the sport ahead for the female players, country, fans NSO & their home sides. Not everyone can afford to do this program they are doing so thanks to Kerfoot, the Caps, the players, the governing bodies & even the CSA for making it happen for the players & their fans.

Yet the program is obviously not working. Poor results and player dissent is the hallmark of such a program.

If there was a Canadian fully pro female league with the vision & commitment like the Caps all the players probably wouldn't be on one team. But I doubt that there will ever be a Canadian league like that so let the players play where they have the best opportunities in the current market place.

Yet that marketplace doesn't exist. The Caps basically blackmail the better players out of other Canadian teams. Better development comes when one team doesn't dominate the market.

In the future, the Canadian W League teams especially the Caps could loose a lot of players to the WPS if they pay a decent wage. The WPS could also affect the NT program as players can't move back to the NT's as easily as they do now. Up side of the WPS will be the higher level of play, money, profile & etc that goes with a pro league. Hopefully the WPS's Pacific Northwest & Victoria connection of Steve Nash & Jeffrey Mallett along with Kerfoot & other Canadian W League owners will open the doors for the WPS to expand into Canada shortly.

Doubtful, the WPS has been constantly discussed for years and nothing has come of it. Besides, does one really think that they would invest in a WPS team in Canada? This is the Americans league and it would be built for them.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

Winnipeg just lost the National Men's Volleyball team to Quebec. The point is that the team has to play somewhere and since it's an outdoor sport the coast of BC is it for Canada. Remember they play their soccer in the winter and take the summer off.

Yet Winnipeg still has to women's program. VC's case was to split the difference between the two cities. Beach Volleyball has nothing to do with it.

What other clubs or individuals in Canada are doing something better than the Caps to help the players live their dreams of playing for the NT? None!!!!

Beacuse they know they will be plundered for players thanks to the threat of no national team duty.

You should really spend less time attacking people and instead persuade them to invest.

Let's rewind for a moment. Having most of the U-20 players able to train and play together under the direction of the U-20 coach for an extra month or two has been a *benefit* to the U-20 team. Anyone who says otherwise is talking nonsense. Training together is a good thing. The more, the better. Granted, it doesn't guarantee success, nothing does. But it does help.

The Whitecaps meanwhile are nearing the midpoint of their season and are about to embark on a difficult and critical road trip that will likely determine if they make the playoffs. And because of their ties to the U-20 program they are basically having to hit the reset button, and start over. The Caps have to replace about a dozen and half players, AND their head coach, and have only a couple of days before they leave for Califonia in which to do it.

The Whitecaps were the W-League's most dominant team from 2001 to 2006, yet because of the willingness of the club and its owner to help out the Canadian national teams, the Caps are now at risk of missing the playoffs for a second year in a row. I find it staggering that people here somehow imagine the Whitecaps are profiting by this.

quote:Originally posted by AlanDouglas

Let's rewind for a moment. Having most of the U-20 players able to train and play together under the direction of the U-20 coach for an extra month or two has been a *benefit* to the U-20 team. Anyone who says otherwise is talking nonsense. Training together is a good thing. The more, the better. Granted, it doesn't guarantee success, nothing does. But it does help.

There is too much of a good thing. That was proven with the WNT in '07 when they couldn't get into their gears, despite all the time together. As well, it makes it far too easy for opponents to scout players bunched together under one roof.

The Whitecaps meanwhile are nearing the midpoint of their season and are about to embark on a difficult and critical road trip that will likely determine if they make the playoffs. And because of their ties to the U-20 program they are basically having to hit the reset button, and start over. The Caps have to replace about a dozen and half players, AND their head coach, and have only a couple of days before they leave for Califonia in which to do it.

Then they should be looking to their own affairs rather than poaching other teams to their own benefit.

The Whitecaps were the W-League's most dominant team from 2001 to 2006, yet because of the willingness of the club and its owner to help out the Canadian national teams, the Caps are now at risk of missing the playoffs for a second year in a row. I find it staggering that people here somehow imagine the Whitecaps are profiting by this.

They still benefit since they now control the lions share of talent. That's a far bigger profit than in terms of dollars.

Well said AD.

"poaching other teams to their own benefit" LOL!!! Being that no team or soccer governing body has protested how the Caps are offering the players opportunties, your use of poaching is out of context. The players have a better offer w/ the Caps who are a better funded organization that has put player experience before their own organization.

"They still benefit since they now control the lions share of talent. That's a far bigger profit than in terms of dollars." That is true but what well funded sports business does not strive to corner the player market through $ & running the best program? What's next BCSA Rule 23?

If the Whitecaps and Kerfoot wanted to maximise their business, then they wouldn't have gifted a million dollars plus to the WNT, they wouldn't have given up Christine Sinclair, Kara Lang, and around a dozen other of their best players for two years, and they wouldn't have allowed Birarda to take the U-20 coaching position.

I am also unclear on this cornering the market angle. Do you mean corner the market on players who are away at U-20 qualifying? Would you feel better if these players were transferred to Ottawa so they could be unavailable to play for the Fury instead? Or are you thinking of future seasons? Perhaps you are not aware that W-League teams (with the exception of Indiana) are amature, so players are not bound by contract, and can come and go as they please.

As for training together, just because the WNT has performed below expectations recently doesn't suddenly mean that training together doesn't help. Generally speaking, teams will perform below expectations roughly 50% of the time, so this one case doesn't suddenly mean that every professional coach on the planet is wrong about the benefits of training together.

If the Whitecaps and Kerfoot wanted to maximise their business, then they wouldn't have gifted a million dollars plus to the WNT, they wouldn't have given up Christine Sinclair, Kara Lang, and around a dozen other of their best players for two years, and they wouldn't have allowed Birarda to take the U-20 coaching position.

I am also unclear on this cornering the market angle. Do you mean corner the market on players who are away at U-20 qualifying? Would you feel better if these players were transferred to Ottawa so they could be unavailable to play for the Fury instead? Or are you thinking of future seasons? Perhaps you are not aware that W-League teams (with the exception of Indiana) are amature, so players are not bound by contract, and can come and go as they please.

As for training together, just because the WNT has performed below expectations recently doesn't suddenly mean that training together doesn't help. Generally speaking, teams will perform below expectations roughly 50% of the time, so this one case doesn't suddenly mean that every professional coach on the planet is wrong about the benefits of training together.

Thank you for confirming that conflict of interests (bold)

Bjarne - Do the Caps & Mr. Kerfoot not operate w/in the rules of soccer's governing bodies? Did the other clubs not have the same opportunity to contribute? I think so.

Would you care to explain how the Caps are financially benefiting? How about Mr. Kerfoot?

I take it you would rather have the NT Residency Program not exist & the players be part timers again or have no funds at all. I don't think the players who have put their careers & schooling in slow or hold mode would agree w/ you.

The Ref - What other clubs or individuals have ponied up support & $ for the residency program?

What conflict of interest? I think you see that because there is ONLY 1 club involved w/ the NT program so you see it as a COI. Did the other clubs in Canada not have the same opportunity to contribute? Remember we are talking about the CSA that has no $.

Bjarne - Do the Caps & Mr. Kerfoot not operate w/in the rules of soccer's governing bodies? Would you care to explain how the Caps are financially benefiting? How about Mr. Kerfoot?

I take it you would rather have the NT Residency Program not exist & the players be part timers again or have no funds at all. I don't think the players would agree w/ you.

The Ref - What other clubs or individuals have ponied up support & $ for the residency program?

If the rules enforcers are the rule makers, and they run the business too boot ..... you really dont have to follow the rules now do you ... seriously Coach Rich i thought you had more experience, the CSA pooh bahs are never ever going to lay tampering chargers against the Whitecaps and clearly only the CSA can.....the Whitecaps are charted by the CSA as club, not by the provincial association.

So you do a deal .. behind closed doors you fund the program you get to do as you wish without interference ...thats where the real dirt is in this case the failure of the CSA to clearly see its conflicts ... if FIFA allowed redress in the courts, other clubs could go to court to enforce compliance.

FIFA specifically bans this action the house of FIFA, its family only works inside the family, their is know independent oversite for clubs to ensure the governing body enforces its rules.

A simple example...and an example which shows how crazy soccer is in Canada...in Ontario the technical director Jimmy ( Pererê ) Canovan has made up his own mini-soccer rules instead of playing FIFA five a side soccer ...( Futsal )he and the OSA and CSA do this in direct contravention of FIFA rules...and there is no enforcement by CSA ...who reports to FIFA.

Its all in the family right ...and its wrong, backward, and uneducated.

The U17's train together. The Men's team train together. All the teams in the Euro train together. None of them are in residency. None of them are in a cult-like environment. None of them are burning out. None of them are in bed with a professional team.

But I forgot, it's required. Perhaps you might want to tell all the world's Men's and Women's international teams all that you just figured out they're all doing it wrong. I'm sure they're really interested.

quote:

Would you feel better if these players were transferred to Ottawa so they could be unavailable to play for the Fury instead?

Fury players are available when it suits the Whitecaps. I think you mean New Jersey.

Did the other clubs not have the same opportunity to contribute? I think so.

NSO's & leagues are allowed to modify the rules are they not. ie how many youth games use the Tech Area or enforce DWIP?

I suggest you reread FIFA's The Technical Area.

Archived