Stalteri to Hamburg?

News of the World, so take anything with a mountain of salt...

http://blogs.notw.co.uk/sport/2008/06/jol-raids-lane.html

JOL GOES DOWN MEMORY LANE

FORMER Spurs manager Martin Jol, now in charge at Hamburg, has returned to White Hart Lane to ask about the availability of Finn Teemu Tainio and Canadian Paul Stalteri.

Neither is thought to feature in the long-term plans of new Tottenham boss Juande Ramos.

Well, Fulham ended the loan spell but then haven't made any overtures (of which I am aware) to signing him for a permanent move to Craven Cottage, so it's good to hear some kind of buzz around him (even if it is from the News of the World). regardless, I hope he gets his club situation settled soon.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Yeah, that would be a good move for him. Actually, on second thought looks like Kompany is the incumbant at RB. But he's a young kid, so you never know...

maybe they'll shift Kompany to the center. they have de Jong for midfield and RB as well, but I always thought Kompany's long-term prospects were to be one of Europe's great centre-backs

I don't see this as being a credible rumour or a possible good move by Stalteri. Jol was indeed the guy who brought him to Spurs but also the guy who benched him for long periods when he was there. Hamburg finished 4th last year and had one of the top defences in the Bundesliga. If Stalteri were being brought there it would be as depth. I see him going to a mid or lower table EPL or Bundesliga team. Hamburg is indeed the most bitter rival of Bremen so playing there wouldn't do much for the love that the Werder fans still have for him.

Nothing in any mainstream press on this, just the same source cited as a rumour source on transfermarkt.de.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I realize this is the wrong thread for this, Ed, but do you know if Bernier is still with K-town?

Well, his contract was for 3 years, thru the end of 2010 season, but has been posted that he has been told to look for another club. Answer is that I doubt he will be going back at all.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Thanks for the update. Like Stalteri, another guy unsettled at club level.

I was actually surprised he did so well against Brazil as he saw no pt at all down the stretch with K'town.

Archived