Canada's Golden Generation

Guest Ed

I'm going to start building up our boys as we head into WCQ. We are looking at the emergence of Canada's Golden Generation. Julian, Tam, Atiba, Kluka and other younger players do not have a history of failing within CONCACAF. They were all brought into the senior team in this decade, joining a core group of men who had little success within our confederation. But the youngsters do not have that history, in fact, they've been dominant within CONCACAF. Now the team is becoming theirs, as the older players are edged out.

First post: from August 2000: JULIAN DEGUZMAN!!

Men's Under-20 Team

Saturday, August 05, 2000

Canada Stuns USA On Home Turf

Ottawa, Ontario - Canada's Men's Under-20 squad scored an emphatic 2-1 win over the their U.S. counterparts at the U.S. Soccer Festival in Kingston, Rhode Island Friday night. The win improved Canada's record to 1-1-1 at the tournament with their final game coming against the U.S. Amateur Under-23 side on Sunday.

Canada opened the scoring in the 30th minute on a goal by Gaspare Borselino. The Americans tied the game in the 52nd minute on a goal by U.S. Olympic team member Casey Connor. Canada's Julian DeGuzman netted the winner in the 80th minute after taking a pass from Miles O'Connor, beating a defender and finishing strongly. DeGuzman joined the Canadian team yesterday from his club FC Saarbrucken along with teammate Tam Nsaliwa who arrived from FC Nurenberg.

"The guys were brilliant, " said Canadian head coach Paul James. "This is a tremendous result for our team. I've always felt that we were going to have a good team and I'm just so proud of my players. This a great boost for us as we prepare for the qualifying tournament next February."

While James was pleased with the play of the entire team, he singled out Victor Oppong for his outstanding performance in defence. Oppong was forced to leave the game in the 65th minute following a clash with Connor which resulted in the American being red carded. Oppong received nine stitches to repair a cut above his upper lip.

"I'm delighted with the result but what is extremely gratifying is the fact that we deserved the win and in fact dominated the game at times," added James.

Canada: Wojtek Zarzycki, Victor Oppong (Iain Hume, 65), Adam Braz, Chris Pozniak, Chris Williams, Justin Thompson, Mike Klukowski, Miguel Campos, Tam Nsaliwa, Julian DeGuzman, Gaspare Borselino (Miles O'Connor, 78). Head coach: Paul James

So, nothing to fear from the Yanks. How about the teams in our qualifying group? Honduras? Easy pickins for our boys in February 2001, as they rolled over the Hondurans in our U20 WC qualifying:

Read on --- remember this one Rudi?? For the newbies, Ngon was what Ali Gerba went by back in 2000. Changed his name the next year.

I now have a new favourite player...

by Rudi

... and his name is Julian DeGuzman!!!

This kid was the MOTM in easy fashion and looks to be a bonafide star in years to come.

He played his role of withdrawn forward very well, causing havoc wherever he touched the ball, which was a lot, since he was all over the field!

His first touch is superb, and his pace is excellent. Plus, he's got a real nose for goal.

He reminds me of a young Pesch, but better.

The other players that stood out in this game were: Ngon, Hume, Hutchison and Nsaliwa.

Ngon was the prototypical target man, and he seemed comfortable in that role.

Hume looked dangerous at times, but I think he struggled to find his place in a team that has ben together for two months. As the tourney progresses, he will get better. Had a blistering shot saved by the keeper, and he showed incredible pace.

Hutchison was a player that I had never even heard of, but I will remember him from here on out. He showed poise and skill and loved to bring the ball up instead of booting it downfield.

Nsaliwa was solid in the back, and gave me confidence in knowing that we have a midfielder who can easily play on the back line when needed.

All in all a good performance, and it was great to finally see the future of Canadian soccer on display, instead of just typing about it here.

Bring on the Ratones Verdes.

I am guilty as charged, but it's interesting how posters in the early Frank Yallop, mid Dale Mitchell era were very critical of Holger and Paul James.

Ignoring PJ for the moment, Holger needs to be credited with bringing De Guzman, Nsaliwa, Klukowski, Hutchinson into the team at a young age. I'm not sure he deserves credit for developing the Golden Generation, but he definitely recognized talent where Yallop chose to ignore it (ie. Klukowski & Nsaliwa).

USA - done. Honduras - done. Mexico? Read on.

Neil Davidson: Canada Qualifies for World U-20's

by Winnipeg Fury

Canada qualifies for world under-20 soccer

championship

VICTORIA (CP) -- A year after its Gold Cup win, Canadian soccer finally had another

reason to celebrate Friday night as the national under-20 side booked its ticket to the

world youth soccer championships.

The young Canadians, who will form the nucleus of the Olympic team for 2004 and the

World Cup team in 2006, advanced by defeating Mexico 1-0 on the strength of a Julian

de Guzman goal in the 20th minute.

"It means a lot," Canadian coach Paul James said of qualifying for the world

championships in Argentina this summer. "The big picture and the big vision is for our

World Cup team one day and so what this means is our players will now get exposed to

world-class international football at the under-20 level.

"And they need that experience, they need to be under that pressure. This was pressure

coming into this tournament but now they're going to experience it against the very best

in the world."

The crowd of 4,837 at the University of Victoria's Centennial Stadium chanted

Guzman, Guzman after the match as Canadian players hugged en masse, waving flags.

"I'm so proud of them and so happy for Canadian soccer," said James.

In qualifying for the 24-country world championships, the young Canadians

accomplished what the World Cup and under-23 Olympic sides failed to do last year.

It will mark Canada's fifth appearance in 14 world under-20 championships.

Jamaica (1-0-1) defeated Honduras (0-2-0) 2-1 in the nightcap, eliminating the

Hondurans from contention.

The Canadians notched their second win in as many games here on the strength of an

opportunistic goal and some tenacious team defence.

Canadians players ran and ran and ran.

"We can run against anybody," said striker Iain Hume. "Mexico was the most feared

team in the group, we just ran them to death."

Hume helped de Guzman administer the killing blow in the 20th minute.

Trying to reel in a long Canadian free kick from Miguel Campos, Mexican goalkeeper

Yosgart Gutierrez came out to the edge of the penalty box and got caught in a traffic jam.

Hume rose high and flicked the ball to de Guzman, who knocked in a long almost

uncontested header.

"He put it away with a bit of class," Hume said admiringly.

De Guzman also scored in Canada's 1-0 win over Honduras on Wednesday. He had a

chance for more in the second half when Hume found him alone just outside the penalty

box but he sent his shot high. Moments later, he took advantage of a Mexican miscue

inside the box but curled his shot wide.

The five-foot-seven 165-pounder, who plays for German second division team

Saarbrucken, has shone for Canada. Blessed with jitterbug moves and electric pace, the

19-year-old from Toronto has shown up all over the pitch.

De Guzman provided the offence, but the entire Canadian team contributed to a solid

defence that was key to the win.

While Mexico started the game adjusting to Canada, it was the other way around as the

half wore on. Mexico began to push forward, often using their individual skill on the

ball in spite of some poor footing due to the pitch. But the Canadians harried them at

every opportunity, with strikers joining midfielders in coming back to reinforce the

defence.

Mexico had its shots on goal but most were long-range and directed straight at

Canadian goalie Pieter Meuleman.

Canada started strongly in the second half, with Hume's long free kick forcing

Gutierrez to tip the ball away. And when Mexico got into the Canadian half, the home

side had as many as nine men behind the ball.

As the game wore on, Canada defended in numbers, counter-attacked and looked to

keep the ball in the Mexican end as long as possible to run off the clock.

Mexico went down to 10 men in the 85th minute when midfielder Horacio Cervantes

was booked for the second time in the game.

Mexican coach Jose Luis Real, whose team put on an uneven showing in a 1-1 tie with

Jamaica on Wednesday, made three changes for the Canadian game while Canada was

unchanged.

Canada closes out the qualifying tournament Sunday against Jamaica.

The Jamaicans can advance to the world championships with a tie against Canada on

Sunday. Mexico (0-1-1) needs to beat Honduras and hope Jamaica loses to have any

hope of qualifying. Even then it could come down to goal differential between the two.

Jamaica has never made the youth championships.

Notes: Going into the match, Canada's record against Mexico at the under-20 level was

2-7-5. Canada's last win was 2-0 in Kelowna, B.C., in July 1991 ... Mexico has

qualified for nine of the 13 world youth championships, reaching the quarter-finals in

four of their last five appearances ... Like Canada, Mexico failed to qualify for last

year's Olympics in Sydney ... The Mexican World Cup team is ranked 12th in the world

to No. 63 for Canada.

USA, Honduras, Honduras. Beaten. Jamaica? - No fear. Read on (note the late sub for Canada!!):

CSA Media Release: Canada and Jamaica Finish 1-2

by Winnipeg Fury

Canadian Soccer Association · l'Association canadienne de soccer

c/o Place Soccer Canada

237 Metcalfe Street · Ottawa, Ontario · Canada K2P 1R2

Telephone: 613-237-7678 · Fax: 613-237-1516

Media Release · Communiqué

Sunday, March 4, 2001 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CANADA AND JAMAICA FINISH 1-2

Canadian Men’s Under-20 Team Draws 0-0 With Jamaica To Win Qualifying Group

Victoria, British Columbia - Canada's Men's Under-20 Team wrapped up their

successful play at the Football Confederation Under-20 Youth Tournament with

a 0-0 draw against Jamaica, Sunday at Centennial Stadium in Victoria, BC.

Canada won the group with seven points (2-1-0) while Jamaica secured the

second and final berth at the FIFA World Youth Championship with five points

(1-2-0). Mexico recorded a 2-0 win over Honduras to finish in third with

four points (1-1-1) while Honduras finished last with a 0-1-2 mark.

Jamaica had the first real scoring chance in the 17th minute when Craig

Gordon got away from Victor Oppong inside the box, but Canadian goalkeeper

Pieter Meuleman kept his perfect record at the tournament with a great

diving save. The rebound fell to Keith Kelly but his shot went wide.

Canada had two great chances in the 36th minute. Maycoll Canizalez (Miguel

Campos) unleashed an excellent free kick from 22 yards out but Jamaican

goalkeeper Allien Whittaker dove to his left to knock the ball wide for a

corner. On the ensuing corner kick, Iain Hume controlled the cross and laid

a ball off for Mike Klukowski who hit a stinging volley which Whittaker

again did well to save. Hume forced a great save by Whittaker in the 50th

minute when he bent a free kick over the wall, forcing the Jamaican

goalkeeper to tip over the bar.

"Even though we had aleady qualified, we still wanted to go out as group

winners," said Canadian head coach Paul James. "This just caps off a

terrific week for us. The support has been fantastic and to finish

undefeated is a great accomplishment. We'll take a bit of a break and then

start focussing on Argentina."

Jamaican defender Shavar Thomas was named the tournament’s Most Valuable

Player. Honduran goalkeeper John Hoore was named the tournament’s Most

Outstanding Goalkeeper while Canada’s Julian de Guzman (who missed the game

with an aggravated achilles) shared the tournament’s top scorer award with

Jamaica’s Keith Kelly. Both players finished with two goals. The Canadian

team won the Fair Play Award.

Canada will now focus on their preparations for the 2001 FIFA World Youth

Championship which will be held in Argentina from June 17- July 8.

orHoore gath

March 4, 2001 - Football Confederation Under-20 Youth Tournament

Centennial Stadium, Victoria, BC

Canada 0 (0)

Jamaica 0 (0)

Referee: Hugo Castillo (Guatemala)

Assistant Referees: Alfonse Este (Panama), Greg Barkey (USA)

Fourth official: Ricardo Valenzuela (USA)

Caution: Jamaica - Keith Kelly (36), Shavar Thomas (49), Wolry Wolfe (80)

Canada: 1. Pieter Meuleman, 4. Victor Oppong, 13. Chris Pozniak, 5. Chris

Williams (2. Gaspare Borsellino, 69), 6. Tam Nsaliwa, 11. Maycoll Canizalez,

16. Atiba Hutchinson, 8. Mike Klukowski, 9. Ali Ngon (15. Rob Friend, 69),

12. Justin Thompson, 17. Iain Hume. Head coach: Paul James

Jamaica: Allien Whittaker, 14. Kevon Harris, 6. Alex Thomas, 3. Shavar

Thomas, 20. Wolry Wolfe, 17. Sheldon Battiste, 7. Sean Fraser (19. Fabian

Dawkins, 71), 4. Fabian Blake, 8. Keith Kelly, 18. Khari Stephenson, 12.

Craig Gordon, 11. Christopher Nicholas. Head coach: Clovis de Oliveiro

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I'd like to think Edgar would have been called for this friendly had he not been recovering from hernia surgery.

I think Forest mentioned that during the broadcast, that was probably the only reason Edgar wasn't called.

Have to cap that boy ASAP!

quote:Originally posted by Ed

So, nothing to fear from the Yanks. How about the teams in our qualifying group? Honduras? Easy pickins for our boys in February 2001, as they rolled over the Hondurans in our U20 WC qualifying:

Read on --- remember this one Rudi?? For the newbies, Ngon was what Ali Gerba went by back in 2000. Changed his name the next year.

I now have a new favourite player...

by Rudi

... and his name is Julian DeGuzman!!!

This kid was the MOTM in easy fashion and looks to be a bonafide star in years to come.

He played his role of withdrawn forward very well, causing havoc wherever he touched the ball, which was a lot, since he was all over the field!

His first touch is superb, and his pace is excellent. Plus, he's got a real nose for goal.

He reminds me of a young Pesch, but better.

The other players that stood out in this game were: Ngon, Hume, Hutchison and Nsaliwa.

Ngon was the prototypical target man, and he seemed comfortable in that role.

Hume looked dangerous at times, but I think he struggled to find his place in a team that has ben together for two months. As the tourney progresses, he will get better. Had a blistering shot saved by the keeper, and he showed incredible pace.

Hutchison was a player that I had never even heard of, but I will remember him from here on out. He showed poise and skill and loved to bring the ball up instead of booting it downfield.

Nsaliwa was solid in the back, and gave me confidence in knowing that we have a midfielder who can easily play on the back line when needed.

All in all a good performance, and it was great to finally see the future of Canadian soccer on display, instead of just typing about it here.

Bring on the Ratones Verdes.

Haha!! I actually do remember that post on the old network54 forum. I was over the moon watching the young guys actually play *soccer* rather than the stuff we had all be subjected to for years.

Three things strike me about that post:

1. The 'standouts' I listed would all be on most people's 18-man roster for WCQ (barring injuries and passport issues, of course). The fact that the nucleus of that team that ran roughshod over CONCACAF now has the ability to do so again should come as no surprise.

2. Julian is still my favourite player to this day.

3. I had the audacity to call him a 'kid', when in fact Julian is less than 2 years younger than me. :D

Great stuff, Ed. And I firmly agree with you that this is Canada's true Golden Generation.

Glad you enjoyed it Rudi.

Key points:

The 'golden generation' - Julian de G, Atiba H, Tam N, Michael K, Rob F - have no fear of CONCACAF opponents. They came up through the U20's and beat all of them.

This core group is ONLY NOW becoming the heart of the team. They were young outsiders looking in in the last go round (having to deal with the old-hands clique).

I was amongst the 4,837 in the crowd that day in Victoria when our boys beat Mexico. My enduring image of that match is not so much the goal by Jules, but a moment late in the game when we were trying to hold on for the win. Iain Hume, playing as a lone forward at that point, closed down the Mexican right fullback, who passed it across the backline to the centerback. Our Iain, eighty hard minutes into a crucial match, kept up the chase at full sprint, even when the ball was subsequently played across to the leftback. He closed down the leftback, who, feeling the pressure, hoofed the ball into touch. Hume had sprinted fully eighty yards on that play, showing that Canada were not going to be denied by a lack of commitment to the cause. For such defending from the front, Iain Hume has been one of my favourite players from that day forward.

This core group is ONLY NOW becoming the heart of the team. They were young outsiders looking in in the last go round (having to deal with the old-hands clique).

I agree with you to a certain extent on this, but I'd also say that the core group only really came into their own within the past four years anyways.

Julian only fully realized his potential when he moved to Spain, Friend only very recently started scoring with regularity at a high level, and so on.

That said, I think they definitely could have played MORE of a role the last go-round than they did, but this cycle is when everything seems to have fallen into place.

yea this should have been their second go around. especially tam and kluka were ready to contribute last time, only yallop knows why they didnt.

Rob Friend - 27

Julian de Guzman - 27

Mike Klukowski - 27

Tam Nsaliwa - 26

Atiba Hutchinson - 25

Iain Hume - 24

Can we include these guys in the golden generation as well?

Lars Hirschfeld - 29

Patrice Bernier - 28

Ali Gerba - 25

Issey Nakajima-Farran - 24

Gerba is part of it, as mentioned in the Honduras post. In my eyes, Hume is one of the players who has dropped back a bit from the top list. Being "full of running" isn't exactly what we need. We need players who can put their foot on the ball and we have that in our current midfield.

Gerba is part of it, as mentioned in the Honduras post. In my eyes, Hume is one of the players who has dropped back a bit from the top list. Being "full of running" isn't exactly what we need. We need players who can put their foot on the ball and we have that in our current midfield.

I didn't realize Gerba was 25 (thought he was a little older). He certainly had a good MNT run last June (1 goal vs Venezuela and 3 in the Gold Cup?). I hope he can attain as much success as Friend did in Bundesliga 2 in the upcoming season.

Archived