The Fan590 Soccer Show - June 5 edition

VPjr

This week, the Soccer Show on Fan590 (with Nigel Reed and Bob Iasrusci) should be of particular interest to MNT fans, WNT supporters and TFC followers.

The line up is as follows:

- TFC backup keeper Brian Edwards

- Soon to be former WNT coach Evan Pellerud

- MNT Midfield General, big goal scorer and owner of a VERY cool afro, Mr. Julian DeGuzman

The shows starts at 7pm EST this evening, right after that Soccer lover Bob McCowan and his Primetime Sports show.

In the Toronto area, tune in at 590AM. Out of town, listen on www.fan590.com (listen live). Fan590 is also available on ch 904 if you have Rogers digital cable TV.

Emails: nigel@fan590.com

Also, on Saturday, Nigel is hosting a Euro 2008 preview on Fan590 and on the website.

Show starts at 9am and runs until noon (3 hours of soccer talk on a station that is totally hockey obsessed...who would have thought it possible?)

Co hosts include Alex Sixeiro, John Molinaro and Luke Wileman.

They are taking calls and emails.

phone number is 416-870-0590. They've got a toll free but I don't know it off the top of the head. it's probably on their website. From a cell phone, it is *590 and its a free call.

Off the top of my head. All the players would much rather play in Montreal because of one thing - the turf in Toronto. He sounded really excited to play in Montreal and experience the surface there. He reiterated several times that its their best chance ever and that the whole team likes each other and want South Africa bad. Nigel or Bob (cant remember who) asked the question if the CSA is supporting the team. He said flatly that they were not and the CSA has to do better. It was the way he spoke that I liked the most. Off the cuff he said we could finish top 2 in the hex, he sounded very serious, not over confident. This was after Nigel mentioned being in one of the top 3.5 spots.

I just listened to the interview again on the website. I'm with Alex...the interview got me a bit emotional. How can you NOT want to support this man and the team he steps out on the pitch with.

The more I think about it, the more I want all the WCQ matches at Stade Saputo. We can fill that stadium with 13,000 people all pulling for Canada. The wall of noise could be deafening, if organized properly. If Stade Saputo is what the players want, so be it. I would love a match here in Toronto but if the players REALLY hate the turf, why fight it.

Kind of cool that he mentioned the T-shirt protest back in September. I appreciated that. The players clearly noticed and I'm sure they supported the principle of it. Julian clearly believes the CSA is still not doing enough.

Can anyone think of a good reason why the CSA doesn't have Julian doing a bit of a PR blitz while he's rehabbing in Toronto over the next few days. He should be on TV and radio at every opportunity (and not just soccer shows). I'm thinking Off The Record, Much Music, etc... Come on CSA...Prove that you understand how important it is to MARKET THE STARS OF THE SPORT.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I just listened to the interview again on the website. I'm with Alex...the interview got me a bit emotional. How can you NOT want to support this man and the team he steps out on the pitch with.

The more I think about it, the more I want all the WCQ matches at Stade Saputo. We can fill that stadium with 13,000 people all pulling for Canada. The wall of noise could be deafening, if organized properly. If Stade Saputo is what the players want, so be it. I would love a match here in Toronto but if the players REALLY hate the turf, why fight it.

Kind of cool that he mentioned the T-shirt protest back in September. I appreciated that. The players clearly noticed and I'm sure they supported the principle of it. Julian clearly believes the CSA is still not doing enough.

Can anyone think of a good reason why the CSA doesn't have Julian doing a bit of a PR blitz while he's rehabbing in Toronto over the next few days. He should be on TV and radio at every opportunity (and not just soccer shows). I'm thinking Off The Record, Much Music, etc... Come on CSA...Prove that you understand how important it is to MARKET THE STARS OF THE SPORT.

Probably because he have been bashing this CSA lately ;)

But I agree with you, we should see him a lot more to promote the game...

Are you kidding the CSA create a star system for its players hell thats not on the agenda you do that and then the players will exert control and talk and have people listen, the CSA does not want stars on its teams it wants no name players who might just qualify and bow out early in the World Cup.. you get the cash and no expectations thats the mantra, get the cash then spend it on administration and your trips to exotic places for FIFA meetings ....etc.

Geez VPjr, I thought you realized even finding phone numbers for Much Music would tax the PR people at the CSA, and gettting a Canadian International on Off the Record..how would that promote the CSA and its real need to get money from little kids ?

Heck you cant even get the CSA to print a poster of a Canadian Player in a decent size to give away ....or sell so its on bedroom walls, do we not have at least one player who would make reasonable eye candy ?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I wish they had asked him about his injury! Or is it so minor that it was felt to be not worth discussing?

it is minor. It's my understanding he should be fine for the 20th, barring an unforeseen setback.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Are you kidding the CSA create a star system for its players hell thats not on the agenda you do that and then the players will exert control and talk and have people listen, the CSA does not want stars on its teams it wants no name players who might just qualify and bow out early in the World Cup.. you get the cash and no expectations thats the mantra, get the cash then spend it on administration and your trips to exotic places for FIFA meetings ....etc.

Geez VPjr, I thought you realized even finding phone numbers for Much Music would tax the PR people at the CSA, and gettting a Canadian International on Off the Record..how would that promote the CSA and its real need to get money from little kids ?

Heck you cant even get the CSA to print a poster of a Canadian Player in a decent size to give away ....or sell so its on bedroom walls, do we not have at least one player who would make reasonable eye candy ?

Trillium, I don't disagree with you. Promoting our stars has never seemed like a priority for the CSA but that doesn't mean that they should not be challenged to make it a priority.

I sent an email to Mr. Montopoli last night challenging him to make the promotion of our star players a top priority immediately, among some other top priorities. We'll see if he and Richard Scott and the rest of the CSA group are ready to do what is right and spend some time and maybe some money to invest in the game and the stars who make people want to support Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

The poster advertising the Canada/Brazil Womens' Game features Kara Lang. Do you think our young female players would like a copy for their bedroom wall? Have you got your copy yet?

Trillium, I don't disagree with you. Promoting our stars has never seemed like a priority for the CSA but that doesn't mean that they should not be challenged to make it a priority.

I sent an email to Mr. Montopoli last night challenging him to make the promotion of our star players a top priority immediately, among some other top priorities. We'll see if he and Richard Scott and the rest of the CSA group are ready to do what is right and spend some time and maybe some money to invest in the game and the stars who make people want to support Canada.

Would a similar poster featuring JDG1 to advertise our Mens' WCQ in TO go down well? They have a poster featuring Patrice Bernier advertising the June 20th. game in Montreal.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Spiers

Would a similar poster featuring JDG1 to advertise our Mens' WCQ in TO go down well? They have a poster featuring Patrice Bernier advertising the June 20th. game in Montreal.

A poster is one tiny piece of what needs to be a much bigger puzzle.

The CSA must start marketing its stars! People relate to stars and are intrigued by them. Casual fans pay to watch stars and to fill up a stadium for a Canada WCQ, you will need a fair number of casual soccer fans, curious to see what the fuss over a DeGuzman, a DeRo, a Friend, etc... is all about.

Archived