So.....who makes the 18-man roster?

Gian-Luca

Dale Mitchell has a couple of tough choices on his hands. We have to pair down the roster to 18 for the St. Vincent series, down from the initial 23 (assuming that none of the injured players or those not released by clubs are added into the mix).

Assuming Julian & Radz are healthy to take part in the series, I expect we'll see:

GK Pat Onstad

GK Greg Sutton

D - Paul Stalteri

D - Adrian Serioux

D - Richard Hastings

D - Mike Klukowski

M/F - Tomasz Radzinski

M - Julian De Guzman

M - Atiba Hutchinson

M/F - Dwayne De Rosario

M - Issey Nakajima-Farran

F - Rob Friend

for sure. That's 12. There's bound to be a back up striker for Friend, so I expect Ali Gerba will make 13. I expect Josh Wagenaar will be one of the cuts as the third keeper in camp and Tam Nsaliwa has to be since he's not yet eligible for qualifying, and Hirshfeld never actually made the camp due to injury, so that's three players right there. That leaves another two still to be cut. Presumably one of the two back-up central defenders (Hainault or Cann) would be another cut.

That would leave things between Brennan, Jazic, De Jong, Peters and Bernier for the final cut.

Thoughts?

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I think it has to be one of Brennan, Jazic or De Jong.

Hard to imagine that any of these would be left off, though if I were to pick one NOT to make the team--and this is about match fitness more than anything--it would be Jazic. Mitchell is big on DeJong and Brennan is the sort of player who can cover a handful of positions and has loads of experience.

Despite scoring against Panama, Jazic really needs first to re-establish himself as a regular starter with LA, so I see him as the odd man out . . . for now.

I also think DM will be taking Peters. So that leaves Cann, Jazic, Wagenaar excluded . . . with the asterik beside Nsaliwa's name.

GK Pat Onstad

GK Greg Sutton

D - Paul Stalteri

D - Adrian Serioux

D - Richard Hastings

D - Mike Klukowski

D - Andre Hainault

D - Kevin McKenna

D/M - Marcel De Jong

D/M - Jim Brennan

M/F - Tomasz Radzinski

M - Julian De Guzman

M - Atiba Hutchinson

M/F - Dwayne De Rosario

M/F - Iain Hume

M - Issey Nakajima-Farran

F - Rob Friend

F - Ali Gerba

---------------------------------

= 18 man roster

So for me the odd men out are: Peters, Jazic, Occean, Simpson (Ij), Imhoff (Ij?), Bernier, Hirchsfeld. Also, I'm assuming Hume will be fit.

1. Sutton

2. Serioux

3. Hastings

4. Klukowski

5. Hainault

6. de Guzman

7. Stalteri

8. Bernier

9. Radzinski

10. Gerba

11. Brennan

12. Far-Nak

13. Hutchinson

14. de Rosario

15. deJong

16. Bernier

17. Friend

18. Onstad

There are still assured places for Hirsch, McKenna, Imhof, Hume and Simpson for Semis squad. Nsaliwa as well.

Occean, Jazic, (and maybe Poz) will have to show something extra this summer to have any chance in the fall.

Peters, Johnson, Ledgerwood, Edgar, Ornoch, Begovic are good enough to contribute and need to be phased in at some point. The spots are there for the veterans to lose, one slip up and Mitchell should show NO MERCY as we have talented options that could easily be WAY better than what we have now with some experience/development.

Depth. Competition. I like.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Occean, Jazic, (and maybe Poz) will have to show something extra this summer to have any chance in the fall.

Peters, Johnson, Ledgerwood, Edgar, Ornoch, Begovic are good enough to contribute and need to be phased in at some point. The spots are there for the veterans to lose, one slip up and Mitchell should show NO MERCY as we have talented options that could easily be WAY better than what we have now with some experience/development.

All good points. I think DM has to make room for an in form club player, particularly in offensive positions, especially for the striker spot. If Occean is scoring for his club side then he needs consideration, though I have stated before that I would like to see more of a speed-type option upfront: possibly a few more months down the road a guy like Jackson might be in the mix, who knows.

I too like the competition element within the player pool, but for the fall qualifiers I am going to guess that our roster will mostly be coming out of the first 24 names you mentioned as opposed to the last; I think the likes of Ledgerwood and Johnson would more likely be phased in for the Hex in '09.

Pending a healthy and available squad:

GK Hirschfeld

GK Sutton

D Stalteri

D Klukowski

D Hastings

D McKenna

D Serioux

D Brennan

D/M De Jong

M DeGuzman

M Hutchinson

M Nsawliwa*

M Nakijima-Farran

M/S Hume

M/S Radzinksi

M/S DeRosario

S Friend

S Gerba

If Nsaliwa is unavailable I would bring in Imhof.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

1. Sutton

2. Serioux

3. Hastings

4. Klukowski

5. Hainault

6. de Guzman

7. Stalteri

8. Bernier

9. Radzinski

10. Gerba

11. Brennan

12. Far-Nak

13. Hutchinson

14. de Rosario

15. deJong

16. Bernier

17. Friend

18. Onstad

There are still assured places for Hirsch, McKenna, Imhof, Hume and Simpson for Semis squad. Nsaliwa as well.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. You have Bernier listed twice in your 18 for the first round, so I will slip Peters back in for the 15th & 20th. He'll have to do something to keep that spot, as will 4-5 others once Hirsch, Hume, McKenna, Imhof, Nsaliwa & Simpson come back.

John Carver in the Toronto Sun this morning says Brennan & Sutton have indeed been called to the first round.

Shouldn't this be announced by now?

CSA:

quote:Canada will regroup this Sunday 8 June in Florida. Coach Dale Mitchell will select 18 players for the final camp before heading down to Kingstown, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines for the first big match on 15 June.

Archived