World Cup Qualifiers (Canada’s Potential Group)

ob1

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=790687.html#honduras+stroll+past+puerto+rico

Honduras 4

Puerto Rico 0

Would have been nice to watch this game to see if Honduras is really this good or if Puerto Rico is really that bad.

Canada's group seems to be getting harder every day.

It's going to be a huge test coming out this group, no doubt the two teams that make it out will go on to the WC

Don't want to bemoan our misfortune, but when our group has three of the top 4 ranked teams in CONCACAF, can't somebody stand up and take notice that this is not cricket?

I still take the position that we need to defeat these teams regardless, so it doesn't really matter but it is harder to dispose of two top teams before the Hex.

From the article:

quote:

First, Wilson Palacios doubled his side's lead (51') and then David Suazo, known as the 'Black Panther' and adored by fans at Inter Milan, then put the game beyond doubt with a goal of the highest quality, slaloming past two defenders before rounding the goalkeeper and coolly slotting home (52'). Suazo then put an exclamation mark on his night by making it 4-0 in the 90th minute.

Suazo scares me. He could be the best striker in CONCACAF. And he's in our 'group'. I could see us outplaying Honduras for 89mins, then one moment of brilliance from Suazo and we're F'ed....

Honduras played well and the score line should have been much much higher. The game was basically played in a swimming pool, which hampers the Honduran speed and skill. It was delayed for an hour and even then there was a possibility it was going to be called off. Puerto Rico is not a bad team and even had a few chances in the beginning but in the end Honduras just was too strong. Suazo, Amado, Rambo and Wilson Palacios came to play this time (The players who play in Europe are sometimes accused of taking it easy when they play for the "H") but yesterday they really showed they wanted to get to the World Cup!! Suazo fractured a finger early on in the game and it had to be put back into place by the trainer, came back on and immediately hit the post!! This group is going to be deadly not a weak team in sight!!

Honduras is my biggest concern, with Suazo and Leon you have players being conditioned at the highest level, like De Guzman. And Guevara seems like a big fish in MLS like De Rosario. We can't sit back and try and go stride for stride with them, were going to have to topple a team that deserves to be in the world cup before next round, the only way Mexico will miss out is if they sit on their laurrels and give us and Honduras easy early points, either way, we need at least 4 points against Honduras and 6 points against Jamaica and if we play them early in the round, we need a result to be Mexico's wake up call for qualifiers instead of their punching bag because I sincerly doubt Mexico can go 4 games against us and Honduras and get 12 points, I'd bet on 9 or 10 though.

It's a shame though because (and I'll admit things can change in two years) the strongest representatives CONCACAF could bring to the world cup are us, Mexico, Usa and Honduras, and in the scheme of things it is really important that we show our full quality on the world stage in order to get more slots for CONCACAF some day. A damn shame that a quality team has to go at this stage.

edit: the X factor is that we have possibly the best player in CONCACAF, And having the best player on the pitch counts for more then most would expect IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

The Group of death is starting to take shape

Honduras is through with a 2-2 tie with Puerto Rico

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=802125.html#honduras+through+ticos+stumble

What can we learn from this?

Don’t take the “minnows” lightly and Honduras is beatable, or at least tieable (I guess we know that already don't we)

I still think I would rather play Mexico 4 times then Honduras twice; I got a bad feeling about them.

Their "great" strikers have let them down far more times than Radzinski. Always picking up a last minute injury or just not playing with any passion. I think they're selfish and this will be their undoing. Honduras will also get frustrated because this will be the first time in a long time where Canada does not allow them to dictate possession. Amado does scare me, but he's getting old and I don't think he can outplay DDR head-to-head.

Jamaica is my concern because they will put us under pressure and we haven't faired well with this type of tempo (see Guadeloupe).

Their "great" strikers have let them down far more times than Radzinski. Always picking up a last minute injury or just not playing with any passion. I think they're selfish and this will be their undoing. Honduras will also get frustrated because this will be the first time in a long time where Canada does not allow them to dictate possession. Amado does scare me, but he's getting old and I don't think he can outplay DDR head-to-head.

Jamaica is my concern because they will put us under pressure and we haven't faired well with this type of tempo (see Guadeloupe).

Archived