Canada 2 Panama 2

FootieFool

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2008-06-04-2965077745_x.htm

SUNRISE, Fla. (AP) — Ante Jazic's goal with 8 minutes remaining in regulation helped Canada earn a 2-2 tie against Panama in a friendly Wednesday afternoon.

Jazic, a midfielder with the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer, received a centering pass from Tam Nsaliwa and converted an 8-yard shot which bounced inside the left post.

Panama took a 2-1 lead on Jose Luis Garces' goal in the 48th minute. Juan Perez's cross from the right wing found Garces near the far post, where he beat the Canadian goalkeeper with a 10-yard shot.

Canada opened the scoring when Jamie Peters scored in the 33rd minute. Peters won a scramble for the ball near the 6-yard box and headed in Patrice Bernier's free kick from the right wing.

Panama tied it 9 minutes later on Luis Tejada's penalty kick.

The CONCACAF teams used the match as a prelude to regional World Cup qualifiers later in the month.

Canada will play the first leg on the road of a home-and-home set against St. Vincent June 15, the same date Panama will host El Salvador in a similar home-and-home set.

The Associated Press

Jazic ain't a midfielder for the Galaxy, but I wonder if he played midfield in this game. 8 yards out isn't where I expect a defender to be on a goal that sounds like it was scored from the run of play.

Anyone predict Jazic & Peters as the goalscorers?

quote:Originally posted by fan

Eww this smells. After such a promising past few games. Sometimes you default to the level of your opponent.

I didnt see it so I cant judge but I wasnt expecting this score.

Panama are not weak. They are probably on par with Honduras and Costa Rica and definetly superior to ES and Guatemala.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Jazic ain't a midfielder for the Galaxy, but I wonder if he played midfield in this game. 8 yards out isn't where I expect a defender to be on a goal that sounds like it was scored from the run of play.

Anyone predict Jazic & Peters as the goalscorers?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no

quote:Originally posted by Tyson M

no but i predicted 2-2... what do I win? someone wanna buy me a pint at the montreal game???

Tyson, can't help but notice your location as London. What are your plans to get to Montreal? I'm coming up from London and was going to do a bus/train to Toronto to get on the same-day bus to Saputo. I take it you're doing the same?

I too am not worried about the result. I noticed that Tam played again, which leads me to believe that the CSA is confident that he will be able to settle the passport issue with FIFA. Does anyone have an update on Tam's situation?

All things considered, not a bad result. Mitchell had a look at a lot of players in a lot of different positions; did not have the services of DeGuzman and DeRosario (not to mention Radzinski for most of the game, and McKenna et al.); and we still scored twice against the team that is likely the 6th best in our region. (Ie. Mexico, US, Canada, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama).

Of course, all this decent play MUST translate to wins during WCQ. I am optimistic, but damned wary.

Hopefully the video will be posted soon.

Positives:

We are scoring in pairs against good oppostion.

Even without our best players we can tie Panama.

Negatives:

We are not shutting the weaker teams down.

We continue to play to the level of our opponents.

After what the Raegge Boyz did to St V&G we need to win big against them.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

All things considered, not a bad result. Mitchell had a look at a lot of players in a lot of different positions; did not have the services of DeGuzman and DeRosario (not to mention Radzinski for most of the game, and McKenna et al.); and we still scored twice against the team that is likely the 6th best in our region. (Ie. Mexico, US, Canada, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama).

I agree not a bad result. This was not our A team, that is for sure.

Although, I would rank both Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago ahead of Panama in CONCACAF. Panama I'd say is more like 8th in our region.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Hopefully the video will be posted soon.

Positives:

We are scoring in pairs against good oppostion.

Even without our best players we can tie Panama.

Negatives:

We are not shutting the weaker teams down.

We continue to play to the level of our opponents.

Negatives:

We can't hold a lead if we can get one, and we are constantly faced with having to fight back when the other team gets a lead on us. Meaning we do not have control of the phases of the game, in function of the minute and the score, and are not imposing ourselves on the field, whoever the opponent.

Good result for ^ that team. B team players in the mix and guys out of position, they have never played together before so what was expected? Our real team would have handled business I'm not worried at all by this draw. Bring on the VAG!

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Respectfully, I don't agree. Just play well and win. Heck, just win, period. Bad things happen when you feel that you have to replicate another team's scoreline; the only time that could come into play is if SVG, Jamaica, another team and we were in a four team qualification group and goal difference could be a deciding factor for one of the two spots.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Dale Mitchell remains winless against FIFA competition. Does that concern anyone?

Want to elaborate on that? What the heck is FIFA competition in your eyes?

Archived