TFC get rid of Phelan

Gian-Luca

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/436800

Not a surprise to me, the writing was on the wall when he wasn't even starting reserve roster games and more recently when Carver preferred Nana Attakora-Gyan over him to come in as a defensive midfielder.

But more importantly IMO, we know have another international roster sport.

Let's see what Mo is planning to do with it.

db

With Jarrod Smith being promoted though we are back to a full senior roster anyway. We can only use the international spot for a dev. roster player. Also I'm assuming the extra international spot means that we have one less American spot, which we are giving up with the trading of Phelan in any event.

I suspect that this move was really to make room for Jarrod Smith on the senior roster.

Yes, the senior roster is full but one player removed from that ie a Dunivant or a Cunningham (sorry guys) opens up the place for a new acquisition which is where we would use that international slot.

yes, Jarrod Smith is the immediate beneficiary (and deservingly so) but hopefully we have a Mr. X a MoJo move away.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Also I'm assuming the extra international spot means that we have one less American spot, which we are giving up with the trading of Phelan in any event.

Don't see why an American slot would be lost. According to Ives the international spot is available through 2010.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/06/prelude-to-a-mc.html

As things stood prior to the trade the maximum number of international players was going to fall to 14 next year given the loss of the two YIs (originally) for expansion then 13 in 2010 given the loss of the YI (originally) picked up in the Cancela trade (news releases at the time were a bit ambiguous as to what happens in 2009 with that but I am assuming it was through the 2009 season). This trade moves those numbers to 15 and 14, respectively, and slows down the rate at which Canadian domestic content players will have to be added to the senior roster. I suspect that may have been the main aim of the deal and that contrary to what Ives implies it actually has nothing to do with the McBride situation but time will tell.

I has assumed that was the case because we weren't trading a domestic spot for the international spot but one of our extra American spots.

Now if what you say is true, that we gain another international spot & retain all our extra American spots and that this is being done simply because Mo wants to do everything he can to prevent being forced to sign & develop more Canadians in the future............well that just about speaks for itself, doesn't it.

Archived