Jump to content

May 30 Toronto Lynx vs Chicago Fire Premier

Recommended Posts

Result of the Friday May 30th, 2008 PDL game between Toronto Lynx and Chicago Fire Premier played at Varsity Centre in Toronto at 7:30pm.

9 min…Fire Peri Marosevic GOAL…Fire Michael Ferguson threads pass from center line up middle and Marosevic gets ball at 30 yards and his low 20 yard kick from right is rolled into left corner of net beyond goalie Nils Binstock.

79 min…Fire RED card…Brandon Barklage picks up his second Yellow card for kicking the ball into the Lynx net after the whistle was blown. Referee Vito Curalli had given him a Yellow card at 66 minutes for a tackle near the center line.

Final Score:…..Toronto Lynx……0……..Chicago Fire Premier………1………

Attendance was about 130 on this warm but wet night. It never rained as hard as predicted but more like an annoying mist. I’m glad I was inside the press box or it would ruin my notes. There wasn’t as much slipping around on the slick artificial turf as I expected.

Pat Sperry earned the shutout for the Fire and he had to be good especially in the second half when the Lynx got through a few good shots. The Fire’s defense of Patrick McMahon, JD Binger, and Mike Giffin and the midfielders who pulled back in the second half blocked many of the kicks that the Lynx put into the box or kicked the ball away before the Lynx could set up that final touch. The Lynx had stretches near the end where the Fire end of the field was turned into a shooting gallery but the Fire was able to hold on. In injury time Lynx Lloyd Grist booted a high kick in from 30 yards and Fire Eric Gehrig saved on the line by turning and kicking away the ball as it passed him.

The Fire are the first place team in the Midwest Division with a now 4 wins, 1 loss record.

David Guzman was the captain of the Fire team tonight and played as a midfield winger. He played for Toronto FC last year. He took many of the cornerkicks and freekicks but he’s short in height.

Rick Titus took the ceremonial kick off tonight. He was an original member of the Toronto Lynx 1997 season and this was the team’s first appearance back at Varsity since they left in 2001 and the old stadium was demolished. Tonight was called ‘Homecoming Night’.

The Lynx Under 20 team beat the comparable Chicago Fire team 4-0 in the game right before this one.

The Lynx record falls to 1-1. Their next game is Sunday June 1st against West Michigan at 4:00pm as part of a doubleheader with the Lady Lynx who play Vermont at 1:00pm. Both games are at Centennial Stadium.

Newest rumour is that Centennial Stadium will switch from natural grass to an artificial turf in August. I don’t know how that will happen when the CSL’s Serbian White Eagles are scheduled to play their every Friday in September. The stadium is the largest of Toronto’s grass fields and can hold 3000 in the stands.

Rocket Robin


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Lynx Can't Contain Fire

Edged 1-0 by Chicago

Date: May 30, 2008

Venue: Varsity Centre, Toronto, ON

Kick Off Time: 7:30 PM EDT

Final Score: Toronto 0 (0) Chicago 1 (1)

Match Summary:

The Lynx returned to Varsity Centre tonight for their first match at the rebuilt downtown facility since 2001, but they were unable to harness the magic of the evening and fell 1-0 to the visiting Chicago Fire. The loss dropped the Lynx record to 1-1-0 (3 points) on the young season, while Chicago raised their record to 4-1-0.

Chicago took an early lead, notching a goal in the 10th minute. Michael Ferguson found Peri Marosevic open along the left flank, and fed him a through ball. The forward then launched a low blast towards the Lynx net from 20 yards out and beat Nils Binstock low on the right post for his second marker of the season. Chicago continued to press throughout the first half, but the Lynx defense held and the teams went to the break with the Fire ahead 1-0.

The Lynx regrouped after half and came out attacking. Toronto launched wave after wave towards the Fire goal, but were unable to finish. Chicago dropped back into a defensive formation to protect the lead, and keeper Patrick Sperry made a number of spectacular saves to keep the lead for the visitors. The Lynx best chance to score came in the 63rd minute when Derek Rios was left alone on the doorstep to the Chicago goal, but his powerful strike was stopped by Sperry with a diving leap and deflected to safety behind the touch line. The Fire withstood the Lynx onslaught until the final whistle and the game ended 1-0 in their favour. Toronto outshot their opponents 15-5 on the evening, but had to settle for the loss.

In a Super-20 League match played prior to the PDL match, the Lynx Juniors defeated the Fire 4-2 to raise their record to a perfect 2-0-0 to start the season.

The Lynx return to action on Sunday afternoon at 4:00 PM at Centennial Park Stadium when they host the West Michigan Edge. The game is a doubleheader with the Lady Lynx, who kick off at 1:00 PM against the Vermont Lady Voltage. Tickets are available at the Centennial Park Stadium box office one hour prior to kick-off.

Final Score:Toronto 0 (0) Chicago 1 (1)


Toronto: Binstock, DiLorenzo, Jonke, Titus, Grist, McNamara (Bahadur, 55), DeAbreu (Scott, 78), Rios (Oppong, 73), Omokhua, Revivo, Tshimpaka (Medwin, 45)

Chicago: Sperry, McMahon, Binger (Gehrig, 63), Giffin, Barkage, Usinger, Schuler, DeGurian (Jones, 68), Guzman (Simek, 63), Ferguson (King, 90), Marosevic


Referee: Vito Caralli

Referee's Assistants: Michael Izzo, Ihor, Bokiy

Fourth Official: Matthew Arduini


Toronto: 2 (Grist, 9', Tshimpaka 18')

Chicago: 2 (Barklage, 68', 80')


Toronto: 0

Chicago: 1 (Barklage, 80' – 2 Cautions)

Shots: Toronto 15 Chicago 5

Saves: Toronto 1, Chicago 6

Fouls: Toronto 13, Chicago 11

Offsides: Toronto 0, Chicago 3

Corners: Toronto 9, Chicago 0





10' Marosevic (Ferguson)



416-251-4625 ext. 23

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I stumbled across this at the www.chicagofirepremier.com website. What was interesting was the visa issues with students.

Fire Premier extends its win streak to three road matches with a 1-0 shutout in Toronto

TORONTO, ONTARIO- CANADA, May 30, 2008 -- CFP head coach Larry Sunderland expected the team's fifth match of the season to be a very good test for his new 2008 squad, but he never envisioned the multitude of challenges they faced in their 1-0 victory over a very stout Toronto Lynx squad.

The Fire Premier director John Dorn decided to leave two of their English-born foreign players in Chicago because possible student visa issues as the team moved to Toronto, Canada for the match. Then two additional CFP players were left in a Detroit hotel because Dorn feared some other visa problems.

So the Fire Premier seemingly limped into the Friday evening match with Toronto with diminished forces against a very good soccer side.

Assistant coach Tony Pierce who is responsible for the goal-keeping with all the CFP teams said that the team played an inspired 90 minutes, despite playing down a man for the final 10 minutes of the match.

"We were outshot tonight 15 to 5," said Pierce, "but goalkeeper Pat Sperry (University of Michigan) played outstanding in goal tonight. He has steadily improved each and every day of the young season. He was smart and aggressive tonight and helped keep the defense stay organized in front of him.

I'm very pleased with Pat's development so far this season. He is working at handling the crosses on cornerkicks and also the set plays in front of him. He has contributed a great deal in each of our four shutouts so far this year."

The Fire Premier collected the match's only goal on the night in the 9th minute when forward Peri Marosivic (Michigan) collected a pass from Mike Ferguson (Loyola - Chicago) and scored.

Head coach Larry Sunderland had to make lots lineup changes, but it appeared that his genius move extended into moving a dominate-defender Chris Schuler into the central midfield during tonight's victory.

"Chris played an awesome match against a very fast and physical squad from Canada," said Sunderland. "Chris made the move into the midfield and played an outstanding match to go along with the solid keeping by (Pat) Sperry."

The match was played in the beautiful downtown University of Toronto Centre Stadium.

The Fire Premier will play their next match on Weds. June 4th in Fort Wayne, IN against the Fever for the second time this year. The Fire's record is now 4-1-0, 12 points and is solidly in first place in the Midwest Division of the Central Conference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...