Possible TV coverage Canada - Brazil

Just noticed today that TV Globo is carrying the game on its main network according to its schedule, of course in Portuguese. I am still trying to find out whether it will also carry it on TV Globo Internacional in North America (website hasn't been updated so I doubt the online digital schedule would be up-to-date yet). Without confirmation, I would think they would.

That is digital channel 649 (Rogers) but again I don't have confirmation yet.

Stay tuned.

<fingers crossed> i knew there was a reason i subscribed to this channel!! btw, if it's on Globo Int. the cost is approx. 6.49 or 6.99/month i think...but you can probably just cancel it after the game (or maybe wait until after the brasiliero games on Sunday afternoon).

I emailed Peter Montopoli regarding the fact that it appears this game will not be available on Canadian TV.

I have asked Peter for his permission to post his reply in full. However, he is in Australia at the FIFA meetings. I'm not sure how soon I will hear back from him. Therefore, I will just post the highlites of the email:

- CSA was told that FOX Soccer Channel would be telecasting the match in the USA, which would garantee a host broadcast feed of the match, allowing a Canadian network to pick up the feed and beam it back into Canada.

- This week, the CSA learned that it does not appear that there is a host broadcast feed of the match.

- CSA is trying to sort through the matter to in fact try to get the match on Canadian television, which Peter claims was a primary goal from the beginning.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

[black]

- CSA was told that FOX Soccer Channel would be telecasting the match in the USA, which would garantee a host broadcast feed of the match, allowing a Canadian network to pick up the feed and beam it back into Canada.

This is starting to make sense now. FSC has the rights for all Brazil friendlies. They show all of Brazil's games when they play friendlies in Europe. So why wouldn't they show a game played in the US? Well, they have their weekly MLS game on their schedule and with the post game show probably wouldn't end until 9:00pm pacific. The Canada game starts at 7:30pm. That probably threw everything for a loop.

I suck at making most of these pirated streams work. I'm hopeful that Peter and his team can find a solution, even it is only doing a deal to stream the Brazilian broadcast of the match.

We all would like to see a Canadian broadcast I'm sure BUT if having access to a reliable webfeed means watching it in Spanish or Portugese, I'm all for it.

The best opponent and most marketable opponent we've had in years, and not only is it not in our country(or theirs) but we can't even get it on TV. Shocking. With three sports networks, surely someone can make this work.

The game will be on the 'net, available at my fav site for this type of thing, ROJADIRECTA.org. Will probably be a link/stream. This is their Saturday line up:

Sábado 31 May 2008

07:00 J-League 2: Sagan Tosu - Avispa Fukuoka

08:00 Volley: Argelia - Irán

09:00 J-League 2: Cerezo Osaka - Ehime

11:00 Tenis: Roland Garros 2008 (11:00-20:30)

11:00 Volley: Italia - Japón

11:00 Off-topic: Hip-Hop Battle of the Year (11:00-15:00)

12:15 Motor (Formula Masters): International Formula Masters, Pau

13:00 FIFA 2010 (Clasif. Asia): Corea S. - Jordania

14:00 Golf (European Tour): Celtic Manor Wales Open (14:00-18:00)

15:00 Ciclismo (UCI ProTour): Il Giro d'Italia

15:00 Motor (Formula Masters): International Formula Masters, Pau "QF"

16:00 Amistoso Int. sub21: Holanda (NL) - Portugal (PT)

16:00 PrvaLiga Telekom (SLO): Drava - Domzale

17:30 Amistoso Int.: Alemania (GER) - Serbia (SRB)

17:30 Corgon Liga (SVK): Trnava - Slovan / Nitra - Trencin

18:00 3ª división ( (playoff 2ªB): FC Barcelona B - Castillo

18:00 Golf (PGA Tour): Memorial Tournament (18:00-00:00)

18:30 Liga BBVA: Elche - Las Palmas

19:00 Amistoso Int. sub21: Suecia (SWE) - Francia (FRA)

19:15 Amistoso Int.: Portugal - Georgia

19:45 Amistoso Int.: Rumanía - Montenegro

20:00 Clausura de Uruguay: Nacional – Cerro

20:00 Basket (ACB): AXA FC Barcelona - Tau Cerámica

21:00 Amistoso Int.: Francia - Paraguay

21:30 MLS: Toronto FC - Los Angeles Galaxy

21:55 Béisbol (MLB): Atlanta - Cincinnati

22:00 Amistoso Int.: España - Perú

23:00 Copa Pilsener Serie A Ecuador: El Nacional - Barcelona EC

23:00 Primera B Nacional (ARG): Quilmes - Godoy Cruz

23:10 Brasileirão: Vasco da Gama - Grêmio

23:10 Brasileirão

01:00 Copa Pilsener Serie A Ecuador: Olmedo - LDU Quito

01:05 Béisbol (MLB): Houston - Milwaukee

01:10 Béisbol (MLB): Cleveland - Kansas City

01:10 Béisbol (MLB): NY Yankees - Minnesota

03:00 MLS: Salt Lake - San Jose EQ

04:00 Volley: Tailandia - Argelia

04:30 Amistoso Int.: Brasil - Canadá

06:00 Volley: Argentina - Australia

02:00 Hockey (NHL): Detroit - Pittsburgh

02:10 Clausura de Argentina: Banfield - Newell's Old Boys

02:30 Basket (NBA): LA Lakers - San Antonio (si se disputa/if necessary)

Still no confirmation about tomorrow evening's game. But Globo International's online schedule strangely ends at around 6pm. tomorrow which would suggest that they are doing some last minute adjustments. For those who are interested, the link to their program schedule is provided below. Brasilia is one hour ahead of EST so four hours ahead of Vancouver and I wouldn't rely on changing the location because I notice the programming time differences don't make sense. Again, the game is already listed in program schedule of their main channel in Brazil.

http://tvglobointernacional.globo.com/Programacao.aspx?id_area=1

quote:Originally posted by RJB

The best opponent and most marketable opponent we've had in years, and not only is it not in our country(or theirs) but we can't even get it on TV. Shocking. With three sports networks, surely someone can make this work.

Shocking that Chris Collie from IMG and Soccer Properties Canada can't make this work.....I know for a fact the networks want to air this in some shape or form, but the CSA has waited until the last minute and can't get the deal done. Bush!

quote:Originally posted by masster

This is starting to make sense now. FSC has the rights for all Brazil friendlies. They show all of Brazil's games when they play friendlies in Europe. So why wouldn't they show a game played in the US? Well, they have their weekly MLS game on their schedule and with the post game show probably wouldn't end until 9:00pm pacific. The Canada game starts at 7:30pm. That probably threw everything for a loop.

They have San Jose/Real Salt Lake until 11:00pm ET and a half hour post game show until 12:00am et.

quote:Originally posted by Mobiiiiiiiilio

Shocking that Chris Collie from IMG and Soccer Properties Canada can't make this work.....I know for a fact the networks want to air this in some shape or form, but the CSA has waited until the last minute and can't get the deal done. Bush!

Ignoring this current snafu, I've not witnessed much evidence that the people at IMG have their act together when it comes to working effectively with the CSA to promote this sport.

IMG is, from all appearances, a first class marketing company when it comes to Golf, Tennis, etc... why can't they figure out how to market and promote Canadian soccer?

Archived