ENG v USA (R)

Soju

En-ger-land 2 - Yanks 0

ESPN's summary

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=238507&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines&&cc=4716

-----------------David James---------------------

Brown--------Ferdinand-----Terry----------A. Cole

Beckham------Hargreaves-----Lampard--------Gerrard

-----------------Rooney---------------------------

------------------------Defoe---------------------

VS

---------------------Howard------------------------

Cherundolo----Onyewu------Bocanegra---------Pearce

Dempsey--------Clark------Bradley----------Beasley

--------------Johnson----Wolff---------------------

Most of the reports I've read focused on all things England but I was more interested in how our CONCACAF rivals made out.

The US back four were shaky. I don't rate Onyewu at all in 1v1 situations, and he was forced to foul Defoe several times to contain his pace. Whoregreaves totally dominated Clark and Bradley and won everything up for grabs. Even with his haircut he seemed a man amongst boys.

That US attack was never going to accomplish much. I would've thought Beasley's pace could have created something against Beckham/Brown but it wasn't his night. Dempsey was never going to create much against Ashley Cole on the England left side, even though Gerrard was playing on the left, and predictably roaming centrally which often times left a hole behind him.

I was surprised to see Wolff up front with Johnson what were they going to do? A Fulham bench player of MLS pedigree and a released B2 player of MLS pedigree. The US need Altidore and Adu to grow into supermen if they're to stand a chance at scoring anything in the next World Cup. They're in a transition period in the post McBride era which looks painful. Aside from that this match showed how much the US count on Landycakes to create and score goals.

Beckham still looks useful and set up Terry with a free kick for the first goal, which prompted much drama amongst pundits. Oh Terry we love you don't cry! It's ok we know you're a man's man! A hard man! A brave man!

Walk in the park for England.

I think the USA has some problems. Their backline is indeed shaky and Eddie Johnson and Wolff, well, let's just say bring em on. Onweyu and Bocanegra even more so were exposed by Canada in the Gold Cup for their lack of quickness. All in all, with or without Donovan, the US team is starting to come back to earth. Canucks are on the rise. Oh lord, please let us make the hex!!

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Does Landon really only play in California?

I thought that was a joke. :)

Well, he sometimes plays in the other 47 continental states.

The USA is not only terrible on European soil, they are a bore to watch. Team Long-ball v Team Bunker. Sorry I missed it. Just glad England won.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

The US back four were shaky. I don't rate Onyewu at all in 1v1 situations, and he was forced to foul Defoe several times to contain his pace. Whoregreaves totally dominated Clark and Bradley and won everything up for grabs. Even with his haircut he seemed a man amongst boys.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I think the USA has some problems. Their backline is indeed shaky and Eddie Johnson and Wolff, well, let's just say bring em on. Onweyu and Bocanegra even more so were exposed by Canada in the Gold Cup for their lack of quickness.

Though I didn't see this match I do believe that Bradley the Elder likes to have his midfield play an up-tempo, pressing game, forcing turnovers, but when they are matched up against as quick or quicker opponents, I think their whole team struggles. That's why having a fleetfooted Nsaliwa added to our central midfield cocktail of DeGuzman and Hutchinson gives us a big plus. I hope those days of having our MNT play starting midfielders with the mobility of WWI- vintage German railway artillery are finally over!

That's an insult to 'WWI - vintage German railway artillery' if you are going back to the glory days under Lenny Bobbaduzzi.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

That's an insult to 'WWI - vintage German railway artillery' if you are going back to the glory days under Lenny Bobbaduzzi.

Yes, I am going back to those glory days (Miller, Aunger, et al) and yes, it is an insult to all WWI-vintage railway artillery, let alone the Kaiser's.;) In all seriousness, however, I was thinking more recently of how in last year's GC semi-final Landycakes blew past Nash: that was painful to watch.

As An Observer mentioned in another thread, there are few if any players in the US senior team now that you'd take over Canadians in similar positions. If we played them tomorrow I'd have Nsaliwa man mark Cakes and I think we'd get a good result. Dempsey their other player who can "bring it" seems to fade out when he puts a US shirt on. Just make sure when Boca puts in the red card two footer on DeGuzman next time that the players let the ref know about it.

Archived